Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arthurbb. Show Arthurbb's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Pewter Pot & Bickfords Pancake House. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeselover. Show cheeselover's posts

Searching for Liederkrantz cheese

Years ago Borden acquired and then discontinued production of Liederkrantz, my all time favorite cheese and one of the finest cheeses ever produced by American cheese makers.  Since that sad day I have been searching for something that comes
    close to this wonderful cheese. (Limburger does not do it!) Can anyone help? I would be grateful!

Cheeselover

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Russo's is on Lynnfells Parkway in a small strip center where also one of the North End grocers is located. (Funny, I just can't think of the name right now). Go down Lynnfells Parkway from Rt. 1 - pass Target and Shaws and you will see the strip mall on your right side at the next traffic light.

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    Not that the food may have been great but my grandparents always took me after report cards came out or at the end of the school year to celebrate -Howard Johnson's! after high school the one in Wellington Circle was open 24 hours on the weekends so we would end up there after going to the Palace They also liked to go to Yoke'm - thar she blows! loved the moving whale tail. Also Russo's Candy House in Saugus which was torn down for a Krispy Kreme. I know they still operate somewhere, but they had the best ice cream. Must be some where in the post late nite at Buzzy's Roast Beef!
    Posted by Newfieguy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Russo's Candy is in a little mall at the intersection of Main and Lynnfells in Saugus, as is Pace's (the grocers).  It's at the first set of lights, coming down the Fells off of Route 1 South, past Target, Shaw's, Breakheart Reservation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from claudemo. Show claudemo's posts

i miss very much a bar "THE NAPOLEON" .A BAR WHERE PEOPLE GET TOGETHER AFTER work and play piano, drink and a lot of free apetizers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from suspine. Show suspine's posts

Not sure if it was mentioned, but

JT's in Sudbury where $15 could buy you all you could eat, including lobstahs, of course this was the late '70s early '80s.

Caldors for sure, Bailey's in 1977 was my lunch spot.

Friday nights in the early '70s:  Nantasket Beach Park in summer, Wal-Lex in Winter.

Chadwick's, Lexington, opened early one Sunday for my son's hockey team and we ordered 6 belly busters and ate them all up!  My ex ate one himself and I have the button to prove it !  REALLY miss that place, it was so cool to go there for your birthday when they hammered the gong and everyone sang.  The belly busters came out on two sticks ... "and our servers legs are buckling under the weight of 20+ scoops of ice cream, etc. etc."  GREAT place !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tolo1987. Show tolo1987's posts

I miss some of the old brands, really.
    ------------------------
    Mike - the external drive consultant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

My first job was at Lechmere in Cambridge.  I worked there through most of high school and a couple years after.  30 years later I am still friends with people I met there.  Back then, the store was only open Sunday's from Thanksgiving to Christmas and closed every Saturday at 6:00.  About twice a year they had a "Saturday Night Sale".  The store would close at 5:00 and reopen from 6-10.  There would be mobs of people waiting to buy the bairgans.  It was a zoo, but we would all go out after and have a great time.  There were a couple of dive's on Cambridge Street across from the courthouse.  The names escape me but I sure had my share of cheap beer and laughs....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

For those feeling they're too old because they decry the loss of King's in West Roxbury--it was my favorite store growing up when it was still "Sandy's."

Used to buy my calligraphy supplies at Jordan Marsh in Boston, and my darkroom supplies at Lechmere's (and sometimes Caldor), got my typewriter at Lechmere's too--not only the stores, but the products pretty much victims of time as well.

So many places I could list, most, but not all, already mentioned, and so many others I can't quite remember the names to, but thanks, it'll be driving me crazy for days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Someone happened to mention to me last night a store they used to love and is long gone...Turnstyle!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rick259g. Show rick259g's posts

I truely miss Caldor..my spouse and I got our first Christmas decorations plus plenty of other household items because we were just starting out and didn't have lots to spend.  Still have many of the decorations.  Also an original McDonalds Big Mac...toasted bun and evrything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostoncitymass. Show bostoncitymass's posts

Gotta be Filene's basement. If you shopped long enough you could find a shirt for like 3 bucks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I left Boston in 1980. The stores that have always stuck in my mind were gone even then. Fronting the common at one time had been R.H.Stern's, Chandler's and Slattery's. All three exuded class that later NYC satellites like Lord and Taylor and Saks could not duplicate. When Chandler's left the common and got together in Conrad's store front, it wasn't the same. The only thing worthwhile about Gilchrist IMO were the macaroons and the smell of macaroons passing by. Raymond's was a hoot, but Citymart (which later filled the space) sucked. Jordan Marsh was a big yawn, nothing more. Filene's was decent. At the Arlington St. end of the Public Gardens, Martini Carl is a vivid memory. Got my first suit there. Mickey Finn was good for window shopping outboorsy recreational stuff. Of the five and dimes, Woolworth's was okay, but Neisner's across the street had the appropriate cheesy atmosphere. The roller grilled hot dogs were good there too. LOL  I remember a beautiful building that housed an exclusive shop next to Liberty Mutual Insurance. The building looked like an overzize Brahmin mansion. Can't remember the name of the shop. Can anyone help me out? It was across from FAO Schwartz and Brooks Brothers I think. Just an old geezer reminiscing. Apologies.
    Posted by torranceCA

Bonwit Teller is the store you can't remember.  Lovely clothes and the beautiful shopping bags with bunches of violets - purple and green on white.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Bonwit Teller is the store you can't remember.  Lovely clothes and the beautiful shopping bags with bunches of violets - purple and green on white.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

And I believe that before it was Bonwit Tellers, the building housed the Boston Museum of Natural History

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Filene's, Lechmere, Decelle's, Jordan Marsh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevetex. Show stevetex's posts

I miss the raspberry lime rickeys at Bailey's and I really miss Dini's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

Lechmere Woolworth Filene's Jordan Marsh
    Posted by bffbulldog

Ditto..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

who remembers: -First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse -Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop -Flanagans's SuperMarket -Lum's Restaurant -The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway). -Red Coach Grill -Valle's Steakhouse -Bonanza Steakhouse -Rustler's Steakhouse -York Steakhouse
    Posted by anthonya1962

All missed...Red Coach, Valle's were staples in fine steakhouses.  Now we have to pay $35 ala carte for a steak.    And Lums...often wondered why they went out of business and why there isn't a big chain of fast food hot dogs like there are with hamburgers...ie wendy's..burger king..macdonalds, in and out..bobs big boy to name a few..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

How about Grossman's...(there goes Grossman) and Big G super markets...in the New Bedford area....People's markets and Fernandez super markets....BPM now Shaws..............has all this consolidation really improved anything? Choices down, in many cases quality and SERVICE down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

I remember those days.  The coffee was served in a cermanic mug, my future hubby took me there before my wedding shower.  You could even get real spoons to stir in the milk/sugar
    Posted by Sophie08

Those were the days.  Now as someone said, its just a fast food place.  Haven't been to one since the early 90's.  Hated the repetition of the "time to make the donuts" commercials...but those fresh, on premises donuts sure beat the greasy after taste donuts they sell now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

As a Boston Transplant living in the south I can comment on these.  Little Caesars seemed better up there when they were around, now they are pretty crappy down here.  sonic is just fast food, howver they have terrific drinks such as the rasberry lime rickey.  Cici is pretty terrible too.  White Castle and Krystals are basically the same, a big disappointment when I first had them but still fast food.  Wild wings is pretty good, known as BWthrees....That's worthwhile!  If I could have anything though, I would take In & Out Burger.  They are awesome.  A couple runner ups are Red Robin, 5 guys burgers and fries, and Pollo Loco.  All not bad for fast food restaurants.
    Posted by sheertrror

..You're right..Red Robin makes a heck of a great (gourmet) Burger..and I never thought I'd EVER eat a burger well done (the ONLY way you can get em) but 5 Guys makes a decent burger....  Miss Joe and Nemo's dogs up near Sympathy Hall in the mid 60's...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrankyYankee. Show CrankyYankee's posts

Ken's At Copley...Jack & Marion's in Brookline...Kiddie Ranch, Saugus(?)...K-K-K-Katy's in Kenmore Square...Lafayette's Electronics...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 61090. Show 61090's posts

Anybody remember Turnstyle ?
    How about a little Zarex with that glass of water

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Johnodog. Show Johnodog's posts

Pat Francis said, "Oh forgot AMES department stores also, killed off by the Wal Mart empire."
    Well that and the fact that the stores were filthy dirty and the staff was grumpy and unqualified combined with their spotty selection and high prices. I agree with others about Lechmere and Bradless but AMES?....not so much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Johnodog. Show Johnodog's posts

61090, Zarex is zippy..Zarex is zappy...Zarex will make your whole world happy....

Sections
Shortcuts