Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

I miss Raymonds, Woolworths, Grants, Kresge's, Jordan Marsh, Mickey Finns, Harry the Greek, Kennedy's (the clothing store and also the "butter & egg store), Filene's & the Basement, R.H. Stearns, Lerners & Gilchrists. These stores offered a unique shopping experience and much better service.

Cookie cutter national chain stores in malls lack customer service and are depressing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cinnamontrix. Show cinnamontrix's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]who remembers: -First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse -Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop -Flanagans's SuperMarket -Lum's Restaurant -The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway). -Red Coach Grill -Valle's Steakhouse -Bonanza Steakhouse -Rustler's Steakhouse -York Steakhouse
    Posted by anthonya1962[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from woahwarthogwoah. Show woahwarthogwoah's posts

Great Gatsby in Park Square. Before the state of Massachusetts (I'm looking at you, Mike Dukakis...) outlawed drink specials, they had a wheel that someone would spin for 2-for-1, discount drinks, etc. Also, Ground Round. But I was a teenager...

Will always dearly miss Filene's Basement...no other store like it in the world. Where else can you look at a $99.00 two-button long-sleeve polo jersey MARKED DOWN FROM $499.00 at Louis!?!

Also, will never forget what it was like walking into the Woolworth's on Washington St. The smell of turkey, roast beef and ham cooking at once.

To the persons who mentioned Jolly Cholly's, Zayre's, Lum's, and York Steakhouse...get out of my mind!!! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutWest01503. Show OutWest01503's posts

Spag's in Shrewsbury.  Taken over by Building 19, who totally ruined
    the place.  They aren't even open 7 days a week anymore.  I remember
    going there on Saturdays.   The parking lot was so full, it felt like you
    had to walk a mile to get to the entrance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from randernyc. Show randernyc's posts

The best factory makes the best clothing -- Anderson-Little

The original factory direct to consumer store.
    First chain to use sports stars in its ads - Kyle Rote and Frank Gifford of the New York Giants and then Roger Staubach

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cinnamontrix. Show cinnamontrix's posts

I remember Lums!  I also miss International Reading; Wordsworth; the restaurants at Filene's and Lord and Taylor's; The English Tearoom; Child World; Pewter Pot; Baileys; Coffee Connection ... the list goes on and on.

[QUOTE]who remembers: -First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse -Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop -Flanagans's SuperMarket -Lum's Restaurant -The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway). -Red Coach Grill -Valle's Steakhouse -Bonanza Steakhouse -Rustler's Steakhouse -York Steakhouse
    Posted by anthonya1962[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3-1415926535. Show 3-1415926535's posts

Woolworth's at Down-Town Crossing...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marty1211. Show Marty1211's posts

I remember Orbitz in Dorchester...used to go there with my grandmother, who was also a big fan of Kresge's and SS Pierce.  I do miss Filene's, Macy's just isn't the same.

As far as food goes...Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins, Gilchrist's macaroons from the Marble Spa and Bailey's (always a treat after a visit to the Enchanted Village and Santa)!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Woolworths
    Raymonds
    Chandlers
    Zayres
    Bradlees
    Lechters
    Lechmere
    Child World
    Jordan Marsh
    Kennedys (it was a men's store in downtown Boston)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Breau5. Show Breau5's posts

My favorite store was Bradlees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from loveserphim. Show loveserphim's posts

I miss "canaries and elephants" and "windsor button" and "paperama" all stores that were in the northshore or liberty tree malls. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from loveserphim. Show loveserphim's posts

OMG!! I totally agree with all that you said "Harry"

[QUOTE]  /> Hilltop Steakhouse :     It's not defunct but it is compared to what they were in the 80's. Just not the same...   /> Wei Lu's Chinese Restaurant :     Some of the best Sezhuan/Mandarin food around. They started out in a small building off Route 1 on the Saugus/Revere line and was well worth a 1 hour wait on a Friday night. Waiting in a totally packed bar was OK - their great Mai Tai's made the hour wait part of a great experience. As I recall, Rick over-expanded and over-indulged when he built The Palace on the hill behind the original and it went downhill afterwards....what a shame.  
    Posted by Harry0[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw1967. Show southpaw1967's posts

Herman's Sporting Goods

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CraigR80. Show CraigR80's posts

Stuarts in Everett/Malden..  Next to another dead grocer.. Heartland
    And another old and dead retailer... Service Merchandise in Saugus

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTGreat3. Show MTGreat3's posts

Definitely miss all of the Brighams and you forgot Turnstyle & Almys...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bermudagold. Show bermudagold's posts

Here are a few more that will bring back memories (hopefully no repeats)

Ames,  Zayre, Caldor, Childworld, The Fair, Rich's, Mars, Mammouth Mart,
    Ann & Hope, Apex, Boston Baby, Kings, MediMart, J.J.Fields, Hills, MVP Sports,
    Somerville Lumber.

These are just afew more from a lengthy list I have compiled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcusAntonio. Show MarcusAntonio's posts

JM Fields (yes I am really dating myself here!)
    WoolWorths Downtown Crossing
    Lechmere
    CompUSA
    Filenes

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPillpusher. Show BigPillpusher's posts

-Woolworth's at Dedham Mall had a restaurant inside of it where I would go with my Nana and have lunch when I was a kid.

-Lum's restaurant, VFW Parkway-West Roxbury.

-Jordan Marsh Restaurant chicken pot pies with the huge fluffy pastry crust.

-Dini's Sea Grill on Tremont St. in Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lessismore. Show Lessismore's posts

Lechmere's near MIT.  Corcoran's in Central Square and Harvard Square.  And of course, Buzzy's Roast Beef at the foot of Beacon Hill!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbradway. Show rbradway's posts

Coffee Connection and The Bean.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmaine. Show rgmaine's posts

Spag's

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecawder. Show capecawder's posts

RAYMOND'S and their Uncle Eph character... best deals on fishing tackle, golf equipment and most other sporting goods.... Their huge rug department and their full page newspaper ads were memorable too.....SPAG'S, never to be duplicated....never.
    How about BOND'S and their two pants suits for the better dressed working man. ...CLOTHES COUNTRY OUTLET in the University Road Industrial Park in Westwood....such a deal!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crdevitt. Show crdevitt's posts

the old grendel's den in harvard square, as well as the tasty, the swatch store, the funny farm, the army navy store, taang!/kids will have their say, and all the used record shops that once dotted mass. ave. arsenic and old lace in porter square. delihause in kenmore square, big burrito in allston, liberty coffee house in central square, waterstone's on exeter (i know, it's been mentioned, but it was such a great store). there was a store called king's i vaguely recall my grandmother taking me to as a child. also paperama, i  think they were in framingham...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bermudagold. Show bermudagold's posts

Here are a few more from my list of over 100 stores that are "gone - but not forgotten !!"    There are so many previous responses and so many memories by so many!!

Hammett's, Learning Smith, Cambridge Sound Works, Cherry & Webb, Kresge's, Mc Crory, Egghead Computer, Thom Mc An Shoes, The Wiz, Great Train Store, Two Guys, Fanny Farmer Candy, S.S. Pierce, National Hardgoods, Caldor, CompUSA, Gateway Computer, Fretter, Zany Brainy, Grossman's, Gilchrists, Robert Hall, Levitz Furniture, Moe Blacks, and the Ski Market among others.

So many stores !! Some big - some small ! So many memories !!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickknock. Show nickknock's posts

It's becoming hard to tell if you are in California or New England.  All the stores are almost the exact same.  We our turing our beautiful region into a strip mall toilet.

Sections
Shortcuts