2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bffbulldog. Show bffbulldog's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Lechmere
    Woolworth
    Filene's
    Jordan Marsh

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyvin. Show ladyvin's posts

Mine! Fine Wine Cellars of Chestnut Hill. I was closed by the demolition of Shaw's Supermarket. I miss my customers, my employees who acted like family, and the great wines hard to find anywhere else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RuebenJames. Show RuebenJames's posts

I miss Sears Roebuck since they cut out the catalogue.  And Lechmere was one of the first discount outlets in Mass.  In the early 1950s, MA had a stupid law that was called something like Fair Trade and it required every retail outlet to sell most items at the manufacturers list price.  I worked for a small store on Federal Street in those days and we sold at discount prices.  Every now and then I would have to take all of the Telechron and GE clocks off display because we got word that the price police were coming by.
    I did not know Lechmere was down the tubes.  Too bad.  In those days it was a place where you could really save a few bucks.  Now everyone buys Chinese products as we go broke saving money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RuebenJames. Show RuebenJames's posts

[QUOTE]Moxie.  Technically it still exists, but if you are old enough to have tasted it before it was reformulated you know it's nothing like the original.  An acquired taste to be sure, but truly unique.
    Posted by geolovely[/QUOTE]

Geolovely, I remember the old Moxie.  It was a taste that you had to acquire, I guess.  In the 1950s the New Moxie came out and it was really terrible.  They went back to the old one, something like Coke did when some marketing expert got it wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3802320. Show user_3802320's posts

The place I miss most is the Woolworths in Downtown Crossing--4 floors of everything you could ever want.  I spent many lunch hours there poking around and found lots of bargains and secrets (some of their lingerie was really well made and their curtains were perfect for apartment dwellers like me who wanted nice, but cheap).  The "pick your own" candy was an enchantment, and the very last pair of little white gloves I was ever able to find (and which I still have) I bought on the first floor at Easter time.  Every August, the place was jammed with new college students coming in to buy brooms and dishpans and all the other basics for their apartments.  The Christmas holiday merchandise was crammed all over the store, and it was the only place I ever saw separate creche figures, so you could buy as many sheep and wisemen as you wanted!  To be fair, I do like progress and even though things cost more, I love on-line shopping almost as much as I loved Woolworth and Bradlees, and of course the original Filenes Basement, where my friend and I watched a Fendi bag for several weeks, and on the day of the first markdown were horrified to find that a new tag had magically appeared.  Of course, the saleslady told us it was a new purse, but we knew it wasn't because there were a couple of scratches on it that we knew by heart, having held the bag in our hands so often.  Sigh>

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fwright48. Show fwright48's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, YEAH!  I should have mentioned those.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.  I bet they would still sell...Twinkies and such still do, after all.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

FWIW, most McDonalds outside the USA continue to serve delicious fried apple and cherry pies, in fact its one of my secret indulgences whenever I am in Europe, Africa, or Asia.   Additionally there is a site:

http://www.ccytsao.com/friedapplepie.htm

to help us locate them here in the United States.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Bishop's and (soon-to-be-gone) Cedar Crest in Lawrence.  Tons of memories and pride in these places - their contributions to the city are irreplaceable.

Add: Pappy's Bakery, Jilly's, Cerretani's Market

Support your local businesses, because you'll miss them when they're gone.

Plus, I really miss video arcades - just a great way to pass the time.  Home video games just don't compare, and you can't play pinball on a monitor. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfieguy. Show Newfieguy's posts

Not that the food may have been great but my grandparents always took me after report cards came out or at the end of the school year to celebrate -Howard Johnson's! after high school the one in Wellington Circle was open 24 hours on the weekends so we would end up there after going to the Palace

They also liked to go to Yoke'm - thar she blows! loved the moving whale tail.

Also Russo's Candy House in Saugus which was torn down for a Krispy Kreme. I know they still operate somewhere, but they had the best ice cream.

Must be some where in the post late nite at Buzzy's Roast Beef!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

[QUOTE]Bishop's and (soon-to-be-gone) Cedar Crest in Lawrence.  Tons of memories and pride in these places - their contributions to the city are irreplaceable. Add: Pappy's Bakery, Jilly's, Cerretani's Market Support your local businesses, because you'll miss them when they're gone. Plus, I really miss video arcades - just a great way to pass the time.  Home video games just don't compare, and you can't play pinball on a monitor. 
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the memories Mattyhorn - shopping with my mother at cerretanis and celebrating big events at bishops

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

[QUOTE]Not that the food may have been great but my grandparents always took me after report cards came out or at the end of the school year to celebrate -Howard Johnson's! after high school the one in Wellington Circle was open 24 hours on the weekends so we would end up there after going to the Palace They also liked to go to Yoke'm - thar she blows! loved the moving whale tail. Also Russo's Candy House in Saugus which was torn down for a Krispy Kreme. I know they still operate somewhere, but they had the best ice cream. Must be some where in the post late nite at Buzzy's Roast Beef!
    Posted by Newfieguy[/QUOTE]
    What, no mention of Jolly Georges (spelling)?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beaconian. Show beaconian's posts

I still miss Filene's in Downtown Crossing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethyc. Show bethyc's posts

Ames: They had a great Crafts section- just enough for the stuff you  need when you're not a real crafter (styrofoam for science project, etc.)

Jordan Marsh furniture reject store in Quincy

Moon and SixPence: this was a great gift shop in Newton Highlands

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth6. Show truth6's posts

Buzzy's

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

[QUOTE]Lechmere Tatnuck Booksellers in Worcester Spag's
    Posted by Wayne-N[/QUOTE]
    So many used bookstores cannot compete with abebooks,amazon,or alibris.In fact many storage units around the country are now used book outlets.The overhead is far less expensive,and the buyers more aware and alert. Furthermore,you can always search a used book outlet on the internet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rje126. Show rje126's posts

georges folly, warburtons, steaming kettle, dini's (especially their salmon), cantin abruzzi

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gilly666. Show gilly666's posts

Zayre's, Woolworth's. Old time shopping was more personal then today's way of buying via the Web...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotfan186. Show Patriotfan186's posts

Woolworth's of course! It was great having that store on Washington Street. I remember one day, I had to go into Boston for a deposition, and I had a new coat with some weird metal buttons that kept falling off, and I ran over at break time and bought a package of nice new buttons so I could sew them on to replace the sharp metal buttons when I got home from work that evening! What a lifesaver!
    And Bradlees and Caldor were both great. I'm sorry about all those people who rave about Walmart and Target, but those stores offer NOTHING compared to the great specials that Bradlees and Caldor used to offer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpurnell1. Show gpurnell1's posts

Yeah, As just about everybody's favorite Lechmere as I worked in Dedham for many years. and then remember The Waldorf & Hayes Bickford's. Great filling meal at a very reasonable price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbowles. Show rbowles's posts

Grant's (where my Grandmother used to work).  Woolworth's, Lechmere, Bradlee's and their 10 cent bathroom stalls!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JFD8. Show JFD8's posts

Kresge's. The discount store I used to frequent in Porter Square, Cambridge, had a long lunch counter, festooned with balloons that each contained a slip of paper. If you got lucky and popped the right balloon, a hot fudge sundae was yours for a penny.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

The Coffee Connection 

Rich's Department Stores

Lechmere

The Wursthaus in Harvard Square

... and of course ,....

Spags    (The Greatest Store EVER)

http://www.spags.org

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jack-from-Roslindale. Show Jack-from-Roslindale's posts

Some great memories here.  I remember the Kresge's in Roslindale Square (Corinth St.), where we bought turtles and goldfish (neither lived very long), and the Lechmere's in Dedham, where I bought my mother her first (and, come to think of it, only) color TV.  Remember when "Jordan's" had a record dept?  They had that smaller operation across from the bigger store.  I used to think of Filenes as being for "richer" folks.  Bradlees was right up the street from me on American Legion Hwy., just up from the fire station (true Bostonians don't think in terms of north or south).  There's a fun video on You Tube of the Celtics (in their 70s era shorts, which are kinda cool, actually) doing a Bradlees ad.  Now the Roslindale Bradlees is a Rent-A-Center, a chain that truly disgusts me; an operation whose sole mission is to rip-off (remember that term?) and exploit the innocent.  Zayre's was right down American Legion, the other way, headed toward Morton St.  There was also a place called "Sherbros."  Anyone remember that one?  A pox on chain stores.  I live in Michigan (Chelsea, named after Chelsea, Mass. actually), but I miss my home town.  I make every effort to "buy local."  It's the strength and backbone of American business.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkspecs. Show mrkspecs's posts

Somerville Lumber before it reorganized and cut everything to try to compete against Home Despot.  In its heyday Somerville Lumber was the largest-volume home improvement store in the world.  The staff were very helpful and extremely competent at keeping lines moving and everyone happy, even if you had a zillion questions.  I would go there with a big project to tackle and a salesman would walk with me and my cart through the entire store until I had everything I needed, including answers and advice on how to do my project.  And on later visits the salesmen would remember me and ask how my project came out.  You'll never see service like this again.  The ironic thing is that Somerville Lumber's prices were barely higher than Home Despot's.  They were sold to new owners who then cut personnel, etc. until their service became just as bad as Home Despot's and there was no longer a reason to keep going there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackrock1208. Show blackrock1208's posts

I love the Bargain Center in Quincy, Woolworths for their wool for knitting and their little lunch counter, Bradlees, you couldn't beat for all their bargains, the original Filenes basement, Zayre's before it became Ames, Jordan Marsh which was way better than Macy's , and IHOP (a few are still around but not as good as before)