Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl5. Show BostonGirl5's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

[QUOTE]Wikipedia confirms Child World as opening in 1974.
    Posted by zitface[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia is incorrect.  I remember the Child World in Dedham in the early 60s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickcav. Show rickcav's posts

Lacy's (East Boston), Ladinsky's (East Boston) and Turnstyle (On the Lynnway in Lynn). One more... Channel in Saugus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonjumperjones. Show jasonjumperjones's posts

anyone remember Grants?  I was a really little kid when we had one in Clinton.  I also remember The Fair out in West Boylston.  They both probably sucked, but I was like 5 so I don't remember

I wish the Life Is Good stores would all go away. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonjumperjones. Show jasonjumperjones's posts

That doesn't mean anything - just because it says it on Wikipedia doesn't mean it's fact as anyone can add anything to that site

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from footballfan39. Show footballfan39's posts

Don't forget:

Fretter
    The Wiz
    Buck a Book
    Decathlon
    Parade of Shoe
    Musicland
    Hit or Miss
    Walter Dyer Leather
    Pennyworths
    Loehmans
    The Five and dime
    Shirley shoe
    Wilson's Suede & Leather
    Sears homestores
    Heartland?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickyraptor. Show chickyraptor's posts

...which is the likely source of boston.com's erroneous info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10073060@N00/700379808

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cliveeric. Show cliveeric's posts

Yes...its terrible...I remember many of those listed above. Here today ..but gone tommorrow..Just like the Bickfords on Route 30 in Framingham. Good food for reasonable prices, great service by an experienced waitstaff, and the best breakfast ( and most popular)  on a Sunday morning. But after 25 years (plus)  in the same location..like overnight.. a huge "For Lease" banner appears and its all over. Gone the way of Filenes, Jordans, Somerville Lumber, Baileys, Lechmere, Joe and Nemos, Linda's, and a host of others that offered value for your dollar....all  replaced by the monoliths of mediocrity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from torranceCA. Show torranceCA's posts

I left Boston in 1980. The stores that have always stuck in my mind were gone even then. Fronting the common at one time had been R.H.Stern's, Chandler's and Slattery's. All three exuded class that later NYC satellites like Lord and Taylor and Saks could not duplicate. When Chandler's left the common and got together in Conrad's store front, it wasn't the same. The only thing worthwhile about Gilchrist IMO were the macaroons and the smell of macaroons passing by. Raymond's was a hoot, but Citymart (which later filled the space) sucked. Jordan Marsh was a big yawn, nothing more. Filene's was decent. At the Arlington St. end of the Public Gardens, Martini Carl is a vivid memory. Got my first suit there. Mickey Finn was good for window shopping outboorsy recreational stuff. Of the five and dimes, Woolworth's was okay, but Neisner's across the street had the appropriate cheesy atmosphere. The roller grilled hot dogs were good there too. LOL  I remember a beautiful building that housed an exclusive shop next to Liberty Mutual Insurance. The building looked like an overzize Brahmin mansion. Can't remember the name of the shop. Can anyone help me out? It was across from FAO Schwartz and Brooks Brothers I think.

Just an old geezer reminiscing. Apologies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhaepers. Show jhaepers's posts

My first credit card was at LECHMERE. The best audio store around at the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Gilchrist
    Kennedy's in downtown Boston where I use to buy a lot of clothes for hubby
    Woolworths
    Lechmere is the only store I ever had a credit card with
    Baileys which use to make a mean sandwich besides those sundaes
    Zayres
    JM Fields in Medford that use to be in the same area as Child World
    Caldors
    Bradlees
    Joe & Nemos my hubby loved those hot dogs
    Kresges
    Schraffts in downtown Boston
    Pewter Pot

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBWorcester. Show FSBWorcester's posts

I am now 44. I remember going to Jordan Marsh with my grandmother at the Worcester Center. They had a bakery area where they sold these amazing Blueberry Muffins. It was a huge treat to go to Jordan Marsh and when my grandmother was done shopping, we would share a muffin!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ibestevie. Show ibestevie's posts

Deerskin Trading Post
    Plywood Ranch
    Conrad & Chandler

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBWorcester. Show FSBWorcester's posts

[QUOTE]As long as you're hungry, why not remember: Pieroni's Leaning Tower Of Pizza Gamsuns The G & G Deli in Dorchester Dinty Moores Topsy's (Fontaines) Sevegni's (Seven E's) on Southern Artery (Best fried clams EVER!!!!) Morey Pearls Richard's Drive-In Car-feteria (Quincy and Cambridge) The Meadows The Embers Blinstrubs Slades Giovani's (Framingham) Hot Shoppes Joe & Nemo's Nedick's A & W Drive In Grandma's Pie Shops
    Posted by Mark-Ellen[/QUOTE]

I live in NJ but grew up in Worceter. We have Stewart's rootbeer drive-ins here, almost the same as A&W!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonPhotog2009. Show BostonPhotog2009's posts

Speaking of Jordan Marsh, let's not forget the Christmas Village.  Sure the city tried to keep it alive, but it just wasn't the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmlk. Show mmlk's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from violet500. Show violet500's posts

There are so many that I have memories of. As a young girl we use to walk down to Medford Sq. and we'd go have *lunch* which would be just friend Fries at Woolworths. We thought we were sooo cool doing that. LOL

Then there was Grants, down there. And Kennedy's not the clothing store, but

some type of food store all I remember getting from there was fresh peanut butter.

I remember going into Boston to Jordan Marsh with my mom and going to see Inchanted Village and Santa at Christmas Time. I remember going school shopping in there for clothes. Their blueberry muffins and the restuarant they had in there.

And getting Tony C's autograph as he did a book signing there.

I miss Caldors, Bradless, Zayre/Ames.  Had some good buys.

I miss Circuit City in Somerville.

I also miss Lerners. Use to get my school clothes there too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmlk. Show mmlk's posts

Wiki is not a real encyclopedia, just what people think they know and can be wrong. Nobody fact checks it. My mom took us to the Child World in Quincy for our toys in the 1960's and our best presents came from there. My sister and I remember it vividly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I miss the Coffee Connection...Starbucks just doesn't do it for me.
    Mr Big's Toys in Waltham,  my grandmother would take us for a gift when we brought home a good report card.  The people who owned it remembered us and the toys we liked and always suggested something we would love.
    The orginal Filene's Basement.
    Brighams and Bailey's.
    The Exeter Street Theater.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

Anyone remember when the "DownTown Crossing" stop on the Orange line was called "Washington St" .

The concourse on the outbound side, had a little 4-sided counter that sold bakery items. I think it was called "Mothers Bakery" or something to that effect

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpp10. Show gpp10's posts

I HAD A 'BANANA SEAT" BIKE FROM CHILD WORLD

[QUOTE]...which is the likely source of boston.com's erroneous info. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10073060@N00/700379808
    Posted by chickyraptor[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

[QUOTE]anyone remember Grants?  I was a really little kid when we had one in Clinton.  I also remember The Fair out in West Boylston.  They both probably sucked[/QUOTE]

The Fair in West Boylston was a Grants before that. And no, what sucked is when The Fair went under and it became what it is now- another Walmart pumping out Chinese cr@p.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone remember driving by a dunkin donuts and smelling the aroma of donuts cooking. For all of you GEN-X'ers, years ago, Dunkin Donuts, Mister Donut used to make their own donuts. The jingle used to be "Fresh every four hours". And the donuts were big, not the little, ice cold things they pass off as donuts that are made at some bakery and trucked in, shrink wrapped and probably days old.
    Posted by anthonya1962[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it- you're right. Wasn't it just a few years ago that the ads on TV showed the pudgy guy with the Hitler mustache saying, "Time to make the doughnuts"? But now that I think of it- they don't make the donuts at the shop anymore. Wow. I didn't even notice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

[QUOTE] Come to think of it- you're right. Wasn't it just a few years ago that the ads on TV showed the pudgy guy with the Hitler mustache saying, "Time to make the doughnuts"? But now that I think of it- they don't make the donuts at the shop anymore. Wow. I didn't even notice.
    Posted by George-Heyduke[/QUOTE]

I'll even add to it. When I was a kid and you went into a dunkin donuts. You ordered a donut and a cup of coffee. If you were staying there to eat and drink your coffee, the coffee was served in a ceramic mug and you sat at a counter. Back then Dunkin Donuts was a coffee shop - now it's a fast food restaurant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hix. Show hix's posts

[QUOTE]LITTLE CAESARS! I swear they were in MA for like 5 years, then poof they were gone.  Still have them elsewhere, but bring them back! I know it doesn't qualify as "missing" if they were never here, but how about bringing to MA the following eateries:  Sonic, Buffalo Wild Wings, CiCi's Pizza, White Castle I mean they play the advertisements on TV enough... stop tantalizing us!
    Posted by bouncer91182[/QUOTE]

That's right! I loved them. They were located inside the K-Mart in Milford back in the day. ANd I miss the Shoppers Word mall with the Jordan Marsh Dome in it (pictured). Loved to go there as a child. Worked there between freshmen and sophomore year of college. Oh, the good old days. I'm so sick of CVS, Home Deopts, and Lowes EVERYWHERE. Can't people drive a few miles anymore? Greedy conglomerates. Despicable what they've done to the layout of the burbs. I miss ma and pa shops.