Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Lechmere
    Jordan Marsh

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : I agree - loved Deli King!
    Posted by improbulus

Totally loved the Deli King.  The greatest Breakfast place ever.
    Don't forget Father's.
    Oh, and BayBank.  They had the best commercials.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : My mum was an accountant at Gilchrist in the seventies, I wonder if you know her? She used to tell me all kinds of fun stories about her life as a young, independent waoman in downtown boston. Things I miss: Filene's basement (the real thing, downtown) Tatnuck Booksellers in Worcester The Deli Haus, Kenmore Square Just about everything in Harvard Square, before it was turned into a mall.
    Posted by oxymephorous

Deli Haus is gone????  Oh, man, they made the best cheese blintzes (sp?) and potato thingys.  I went there all the time when I was a student at BU.  I'm so bummed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from improbulus. Show improbulus's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Totally loved the Deli King.  The greatest Breakfast place ever. Don't forget Father's. Oh, and BayBank.  They had the best commercials.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

They had this amazing tasting roast chicken served with gravy over rice pilaf - it's been more than 20 years since I lived nearby but I still salivate thinking of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuffyB1. Show BuffyB1's posts

Mello Yello Quisp cereal Frankenberry cereal
    Posted by mosismooses

You can still get Quisp cereal at Roche Brothers - they carry it 2x a year as a promotion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb. Show cb's posts

Does anyone remember Hi Lo in Watertown?  Or Moe Blacks?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Raymond's
    Pewter Pot
    HoJo's
    The real Filene's Basement, where you knew they got the stuff from upstairs, not from the manufacturer elsewhere
    The Bickford's in Coolidge Corner
    Marian Ruth
    Jon Allen Photographics
    Beacon Supermarket (now occupied by another grocer's at St. Mary's stop, Brookline)
    Chickland
    Videosmith

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Does anyone remember Hi Lo in Watertown?  Or Moe Blacks?
    Posted by cb

I remember Hi-Lo! My Dad loved it. They also had a Brookline location, on Harvard Street.

Must also agree with the demise of Tatnuck's, and The Tasty. When I worked the overnight shift at Gnomon Copy in the 1980s, The Tasty was the place (the only place, actually) to be for a coffee break.

Mom loved Gilchrist's - that was back in the day when a woman always wore gloves to go downtown, and a man always wore a hat (which he removed indoors).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GGallagher. Show GGallagher's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : You can still get Quisp cereal at Roche Brothers - they carry it 2x a year as a promotion.
    Posted by BuffyB1

BuffyB1...are you absolutely sure that ROCHE BROS stores do stock QUISP Cereal...2X a year as you say...if so i will keep track of when.....I have been in search of a box of that cereal online for at least the last 5 years.  That was my childhood favorite from the 70's .....I know it was from Quaker where they also made my other favoite Cap'n Crunch.
    PLEASE RESPOND if and when you can.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GGallagher. Show GGallagher's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : You can still get Quisp cereal at Roche Brothers - they carry it 2x a year as a promotion.
    Posted by BuffyB1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The Rat in Kenmore Square - and Harold Madison Jr, The Mayor of Kenmore Square (RIP, Mr. Butch - what Kenmore Square aka BU security lost, Allston gained)

Bunratty's in Allston

Grecian Yearning

Best and Company

Little Swiss House jewelers (RIP, Barbara)

Young & Yee

Dazzle (which was in the Urban Outfitters building in Harvard Square)

Good Good the Elephant (would have beat out Paper Source for cute art supplies, anyday!)

All those Brookline and Newton bakeries

Edibles in Coolidge Corner (RIP, owner)

Orson Welles theatre and all indie cinemas no longer operating, including that $1 cinema in Brookline Village

With the demise of the independent stores, I've come to hate shopping, and do as much as possible of it online. Fortunately (knock on wood) I still have a solo-practioner pharmacist, who gets me what I need for less than what CVS charges. Even though I'd save a ton of money at WalMart, I won't do it.

George's Folly

McNasty's (a CW male gay leather bar in the Fenway, where I tended bar, so long ago now)

Aerosmith before the band got big; Fleetwood Mac before Stevie and Lindsay; the original line-up of the James Montgomery Band; the Dan before the Aja album

And, just because I'm nostalgic, Gertrude Frank - but the elderly women, except for the patrons of Yolanda and the like, no longer shop at small boutiques for wedding and bar mitzvah outfits (leave it to their grand and great-grandchildren to spend a fortune at places like Mint Julep and Anthropologie)

Cappy, the cobbler who occupied the site now occupied by some pen boutique in Harvard Square

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gverbena. Show gverbena's posts

Cherry Webb and Touraine
    Zayres
    Jack's Joke Shop
    And Woolworths in downtown crossing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gverbena. Show gverbena's posts

Little Ceasars are all over central MA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goldilocks59. Show Goldilocks59's posts

I miss Woolworth and Howard Johnson, especially the landmark at Wellington Circle and the other over at Cleveland Circle, Brighton. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbbfl. Show sbbfl's posts

Grew up in mattapan-I remember Grant's and Woolworth's, personally yours near the mattapan trolley's, there was also a great sub shop near there, i forget the name of it but it was close to the Cathy Village restaurant. There was also Sonny's cigar store, brighams, and of course the hobby fair toy store. Other restaurants I remember were the embers, jimmy's diner and China joy and the one and only Simcos. I also remember on Babson street across from the St. Angelas/Tileston schools there was a little store where you could get penny candy and baseball cards. We actually called it the "little store". Supermarket's were the first national store and capital market. But by far the most missed place is the Oriental theater, what a great place to watch a movie and the night "sky" overhead. It truly was a great neighborhood to grow up in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BME01854. Show BME01854's posts

Deli King on Comm Ave and Harvard Street.
    Posted by muse57

Still in business on Rte 38 in Tewksbury

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrd9. Show wrd9's posts

The Perky Penguin (ice cream store in Dorchester)

and all those local corner stores that stocked scads of comic books (this was the 60s) and, for a young child, they all had a special aura even in urban areas like Dorchester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phylo1. Show phylo1's posts

Many of my favs have been mentioned -  definitely Filene's..they carried brands that Macy's doesn't. There isn't enough choice anymore.. I can't wear the clothes they have in Nordstroms and Bloomies.  Is Lord and Taylor around anymore?  I worked at Jordan Marsh and I miss them too.

I also miss Avenue Victor Hugo.

And what about Caldor, Ames, Bradlees, Zayres, Ann & Hope?  ...how is it that Target and WalMart were able to triumph over so many of those stores which existed alongside each other for so long?  And Woolworths!

There is no longer enough price competition... Shopping online is ok, but I like to see and touch and try before I buy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Better-Idea. Show Better-Idea's posts

While technology has improved many things, I miss owning a car that I could understand and to which I could make minor repairs myself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from violanorkus. Show violanorkus's posts

In no particuar order: R.H.White City Mart Raymonds Howard Clothes Kennedy's Butter & Egg Stores Kennedy's Clothing Stores White Castle Chickland in Saugus Adventure Car Hop Howard Johnsons Chess King The Hollows Restaurant in Milton Ye Olde Brown Jug (Mattapan) Tech HiFi Linda's Chicken in Neponset Circle Paragon Park Norumbega Park Scollay Square
    Posted by Mark-Ellen

Neisner's on Washington Street across from Woolworths.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from violanorkus. Show violanorkus's posts

Niesners on Washington Street across from Woolworths.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from violanorkus. Show violanorkus's posts

G & G deli on Blue Hill Ave in 60's

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mass-INXS2. Show Mass-INXS2's posts

Danny's on Revere Beach

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DickMacys3. Show DickMacys3's posts

I miss Bailey's and there hot fudge sundaes! Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins too.
    Posted by EKEHOE

Oh yes, when I worked at Jordan Marsh in the late 60's, I would meet my wife at Bailey's for hot fudge (we called it our upside down dinner). At the end of the day the blueberry muffins were half price. That was livin'.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arthurbb. Show Arthurbb's posts

Hoffman's in Salem.   

Sections
Shortcuts