Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbemom. Show mbemom's posts

Defunct stores/brands that you miss - President' Choice

For the poster who mentioned the disappearance of this brand - just to let him know that it still exists - in Canada.  President's Choice has been the "store brand" of the Canadian Loblaw's chain for years.  I put that in quotes because the brand is far more expansive and upscale than any store brand here.  Visit any Canadian city, and you're likely to find a Loblaw's or their Supercentre store, with all the PC products your heart desires, and then some.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fmanny. Show fmanny's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Tony and Ann's pizza in Chelmsford.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongrl. Show moongrl's posts

Thank you all for bringing up names I haven't thought about for years ! Cerratani's, Woolworth, Jordan Marsh ( used to go to the one in Malden Square, with separate book store and record store ), Gilchrist, Filene's Basement in Boston, Yok'ums, Russos Candy ( my mom's favorite, remember my Dad getting her chocolates there every Valentines's Day ) Service Merchandise, Lechmere Sales. The good old days ! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongrl. Show moongrl's posts

Ha, Blinstrub's - saw Wayne Newton there with my mom, aunt and cousin.... good times LOL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunrise. Show sunrise's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]Buzzy's
    Posted by truth6[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, Buzzy's Roast Beef.  Actually I miss seeing the stand - but not so much the food. I hate how neat and over-produced chain stores look. No character.  I also miss the fries and deep fried pies at McDonald's. Someone should start a store that makes what the chains are too afraid of the lawyers over - they'd make a fortune.

You can still get something like the Woolworth's experience at Balich in Arlington Heights.  Great store where you can get just about anything.  And as an added bonus, there's a Brigham's at the end of the same block.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonNewman. Show RonNewman's posts

Steve's Ice Cream -- the very last one, in Quincy Market, changed its name to Sprinkles a few years ago

Bailey's Ice Cream

Brigham's (a scattered few remain, such as in Arlington Heights)

WordsWorth Books in Harvard Square

Lechmere

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eisie. Show eisie's posts

My wife and I miss Ames & Bradlee's.
    Sad to say, the Ames property at Redstone in Stoneham is still EMPTY.
    Nothing of the Ames or Bradlee's type of business has ventured into this area.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homer3. Show Homer3's posts

Monkey Ward killed Lechmee and then bankrupted themselves.  Couldn't have happened to a worse bunch of idiots (The MW people, not the Lechmere people).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio25. Show Scorpio25's posts

I remember as a little kid the following stores that are no longer around.  Stuarts and Riches.  They were located in Central Mass, Fitchburg!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhouston1. Show mhouston1's posts

OMG - what a trip down memory lane.  Zayre, Caldor, Bradlees, Child World, Lechmere, Jordan Marsh and Filenes - that just about wraps up my childhood with the notable absence of Angelo's supermarket. 

My mother is also convinced Child World went out of business because all four of her children grew up!  I still have the neon dragon I picked out for my first Christmas 40 years ago!!

*sigh* - I guess I'm a grown up now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myron1958. Show myron1958's posts

Mike's Doughnuts in Everett...Best Doughnuts ever with no equal...Dunkin's should be called donutz with a "Z" just like imitation cheeze

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleD6. Show PurpleD6's posts

I have fond memories of most of these stores. Sad they are gone. Mad that Macy's is the reason 2 have disappeared (Jordan Marsh and Filene's).

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

Coffee Connection.   But most of all, WOOLWORTH'S!  Where else could you get shoelaces, needles and thread, a grilled-chese sandwich, and a turtle and parakeet?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

I've seen a lot of stealing in stores - mostly by employees.  Starting at the loading dock up to the register.  I can see why they go out of business. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGilday. Show AGilday's posts

Did they get Zayre's?  How about "Herman's Sports"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinca123. Show vinca123's posts

I miss Filene's. It was my favorite store to shop for clothing. They always had something for everyone. I will occasionally go into Macy's, just to check things out. But, I always end up leaving empty-handed. I just don't like their stuff...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harry0. Show Harry0's posts

Lechmere was a good store. If they were still in business, I'd shop there before Best Buy any day of the week.

Remember the Zayre sign off 128 in Woburn?

Z - A - Y - R - E    ZAYRE   ZAYRE

I can still smell the popcorn at their snack bar.

Child World on Cambridge St in Winchester still brings back memories as a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's.....

Caldor?  good riddance....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harry0. Show Harry0's posts

> Hilltop Steakhouse:

It's not defunct but it is compared to what they were in the 80's. Just not the same...

/> Wei Lu's Chinese Restaurant :

Some of the best Sezhuan/Mandarin food around. They started out in a small building off Route 1 on the Saugus/Revere line and was well worth a 1 hour wait on a Friday night. Waiting in a totally packed bar was OK - their great Mai Tai's made the hour wait part of a great experience. As I recall, Rick over-expanded and over-indulged when he built The Palace on the hill behind the original and it went downhill afterwards....what a shame.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-Jon. Show Boston-Jon's posts

ELSIE'S near Harvard Square! The BEST roast beef sandwiches with their signature sauce and a Bermuda onion! Great munchie food ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

Clothes Inn - brought my first pair of tight rolled acid washed jeans there
    Service Merchandise
    Strawberry's - first tapes brought to listen to in my yellow Sony sports walkman
    Robelle's 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from giselavoss. Show giselavoss's posts

Defunct stores/brands that you miss— How about Learningsmith?

The General Store for a Curious Mind, founded in Cambridge.
    Books, toys, games, lots to jump start your noodle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from giselavoss. Show giselavoss's posts

Defunct stores/brands that you miss— I miss the MFA catalog!!

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston had the most extraordinary selection of gifts for all ages developed from art objects in the collection.  Unrivaled.  From scarves to decorative arts, to toys.  Current shops are much less special.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from basildave. Show basildave's posts

Definitely Lechmere.  They had a great variety of products, an easygoing return policy and were pretty interested in customer service.  I can never figure out what the difference is between a Lechmere and a Target.  When companies, like Montgomery Ward, who bought them, get too big, they just lose their competitive ability.  It's a shame because so many people lose their jobs and the execs get a nice fat golden parachute but that seems to be the way of world.

Sections
Shortcuts