Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickknock. Show nickknock's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]Spag's in Shrewsbury.  Taken over by Building 19, who totally ruined the place.  They aren't even open 7 days a week anymore.  I remember going there on Saturdays.   The parking lot was so full, it felt like you had to walk a mile to get to the entrance.
    Posted by OutWest01503[/QUOTE]VERY True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chlyn. Show chlyn's posts

Re: Searching for Liederkrantz cheese

In Response to Searching for Liederkrantz cheese:
    [QUOTE]Years ago Borden acquired and then discontinued production of Liederkrantz, my all time favorite cheese and one of the finest cheeses ever produced by American cheese makers.  Since that sad day I have been searching for something that comes close to this wonderful cheese. (Limburger does not do it!) Can anyone help? I would be grateful! Cheeselover
    Posted by cheeselover[/QUOTE]

Cheeselover, it's been a while since your post, but if you don't have an answer yet, try asking your question on the Chowhound.chow.com. forum.

My misses:
    Lechmere. I moved from Boston to upstate NY in 1985, and Lechmere later opened a store in my city! Unfortunately, the chain took a nosedive shortly after.
    Worcester: Tatnuck Book Sellers, El Morocco, Struck Cafe
    Places I miss from being a young working woman in Kendall Square:
    The Winery
    The dark-green-and-brass restaurant in Charlestown with the newspaper journalist theme
    Colleen's Chinese Cuisine
    Joyce Chen's
    La Groceria

Oh, and Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fiend4Mojitos. Show Fiend4Mojitos's posts

A few more defunct stores/brands that you miss

How about Orbit (later Bradlee's) on Morrissey Blvd. In Dorchester?
    Mel's in Dorchester & Norwood (the 2 I remember).
    Factory Outlet in Jamaica Plain (where JP High School stands).
    Ashmont Discount (several in and around Boston).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fiend4Mojitos. Show Fiend4Mojitos's posts

It's not a retail store but who remembers the Howdy's Hamburger joint on Morrissey Blvd. in Dorchester? Or the Dairy Queen? Howdy's (and MacDonald's) hambugers were 17 and 15 cents, respectfully. DQ Banana splits were just 50 cents!

A few others on Memory Lane:

7E's, Eddie's Diner, Richard's Drive-In (I remember all the neon lighting there), Morey Pearl's, the Howard Johnson's and A&W (both with with car hop service) and The Leaning Tower, all in Quincy... Also the Shore(?) Diner on Southern Artery, where MacDonald's is

This story got me started...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fiend4Mojitos. Show Fiend4Mojitos's posts

Lechmere Sales' prices always ended in 88 cent. The address of the anchor store was 88 First St. in Cambridge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fiend4Mojitos. Show Fiend4Mojitos's posts

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss
    Raymond's in Quincy reminded me of Gilchrist's.  You could park on the roof of Raymond's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from didactic1. Show didactic1's posts

In Response to Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]Is there a store that's gone out of business - whether this past year or even 10 years ago - that you desperately miss shopping at? Is there a brand no longer available that you used to swear by? Share your memories of stores and brands of yesterday - and yesteryear.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from didactic1. Show didactic1's posts

The best roast beef sandwichs in the world: Elsie in Harvard Sq. on Brattle St.

And Jack and Marion's on Harvard St in Brookline, near Coolidge Corner.

Kennedy's Dairy Stores.

And no 7-11 type stores. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from didactic1. Show didactic1's posts

[QUOTE]the old grendel's den in harvard square, as well as the tasty, the swatch store, the funny farm, the army navy store, taang!/kids will have their say, and all the used record shops that once dotted mass. ave. arsenic and old lace in porter square. delihause in kenmore square, big burrito in allston, liberty coffee house in central square, waterstone's on exeter (i know, it's been mentioned, but it was such a great store). there was a store called king's i vaguely recall my grandmother taking me to as a child. also paperama, i  think they were in framingham...
    Posted by crdevitt[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

[QUOTE]LITTLE CAESARS! I swear they were in MA for like 5 years, then poof they were gone. Still have them elsewhere, but bring them back! [/QUOTE]

Little Caesar's has a store in Leominster, near Play it Again Sports. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

In Response to Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]Is there a store that's gone out of business - whether this past year or even 10 years ago - that you desperately miss shopping at? Is there a brand no longer available that you used to swear by? Share your memories of stores and brands of yesterday - and yesteryear.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

Most people have mentioned Lechemere I totally agree....but as a computer junkie I miss comp usa - ignored the sales people and found what i wanted  mostly. Or i compared and tried out stuff in the store to get an idea of what i wanted.

Circuit City - dont miss them

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrpyro. Show mrpyro's posts

[QUOTE]Someone happened to mention to me last night a store they used to love and is long gone...Turnstyle!
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

Hard to belive that this small chain was owned by Star Market. The Murgar family started Star Market.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the memories Mattyhorn - shopping with my mother at cerretanis and celebrating big events at bishops
    Posted by JEnvie[/QUOTE]

Wow..I agree..I can't believe Cedar Crest is going away after moving to North Andover. I've been there a few times since they moved and it's always really busy.My son goes to the gym next door after work..and parking is always at a premium, I miss them in Lawrence because it was a favorite place for chicken soup for my coworkers and I. and parking is usually at a premium. Bishop's used to be a New Years eve must do. We were just taking about Jilly's the other day...that was another favorite. Kitty's in North Reading ( same owners) is good..but not as good as Jilly's. Working at Pappy's bakery was my first real job..and their bread was the best. Nothing can ever replace Pappy's for me.

Who remembers The Den ( where Boston Market is now)? They had the best chicken cutlets I've ever had in my life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Wow..I agree..I can't believe Cedar Crest is going away after moving to North Andover. I've been there a few times since they moved and it's always really busy.My son goes to the gym next door after work..and parking is always at a premium, I miss them in Lawrence because it was a favorite place for chicken soup for my coworkers and I. and parking is usually at a premium. Bishop's used to be a New Years eve must do. We were just taking about Jilly's the other day...that was another favorite. Kitty's in North Reading ( same owners) is good..but not as good as Jilly's. Working at Pappy's bakery was my first real job..and their bread was the best. Nothing can ever replace Pappy's for me. Who remembers The Den ( where Boston Market is now)? They had the best chicken cutlets I've ever had in my life.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]
    mmm kitty's, they had the best veal cutlets!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedso. Show tedso's posts

I miss Harry The Greeks on East Berkeley Street in the South End.

Lots of $5 & $10 dollar leather coats, many with bullet holes in them.

This was back when the area was known as skid row.

Also, Bailey's for the way they dripped the fudge sauce over the sundae, and I mean all over the sundae.

Jordan Marsh for Blueberry muffins.

S. S. Pierce for their coffee chews candy.

The Naked "I" for their....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nanceal1210. Show nanceal1210's posts

Signoir Pizza!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chi-Chi. Show Chi-Chi's posts

Lechmere (originally Lechmere Sales)  The only store that truly had the most liberal of return policies. They would even accept return items not bought there! It's true, I worked there and that was the actual policy. No wonder they went out of business!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chi-Chi. Show Chi-Chi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Wow..I agree..I can't believe Cedar Crest is going away after moving to North Andover. I've been there a few times since they moved and it's always really busy.My son goes to the gym next door after work..and parking is always at a premium, I miss them in Lawrence because it was a favorite place for chicken soup for my coworkers and I. and parking is usually at a premium. Bishop's used to be a New Years eve must do. We were just taking about Jilly's the other day...that was another favorite. Kitty's in North Reading ( same owners) is good..but not as good as Jilly's. Working at Pappy's bakery was my first real job..and their bread was the best. Nothing can ever replace Pappy's for me. Who remembers The Den ( where Boston Market is now)? They had the best chicken cutlets I've ever had in my life.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxsoxsox. Show soxsoxsox's posts

Waterstone's Bookstore
    Tower Records
    Brigham's
    The Tasty
    The Rat

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hiphopwife. Show hiphopwife's posts

Filene's and Lechmere and Bailey's, of course!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from orifice69. Show orifice69's posts

Drive-Ins...any of them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dunworkin. Show dunworkin's posts

Bonwit Teller, Original Filenes Basement, Woolworth's and Gilchrists

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Zeppy's closed??  where have I been?  i LOVED zeppy's bagels!
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

Zeppy's are now baked in South Lawrence, I believe.  Most Valley-area stores carry them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from czibailo. Show czibailo's posts

The Coffee Connection and the REAL Filene's and Filene's Basement at Downtown Crossing. Starbucks and Macys are just not the same...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Lechmere
    Caldors
    Ames
    Bradlees
    Zayres
    Woolworths
    Child World
    Chandlers
    Kennedys
    Baileys