1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikesoxfan. Show mikesoxfan's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

The Smith stores
    Recordsmith
    videosmith
    booksmith

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cebubaby. Show cebubaby's posts

I miss Tower Records for purchases of CDs, DVDs, books, magazines, etc.  It was a great place to browse around.  There was a Woolworth's on Moody Street in Waltham where we used to walk or take the bus as teens and get a hot dog at the lunch counter, along with those "accordian" fries and a chocolate milk.  I miss Ames because it was very close to my first apartment, and it closed just about the time that I finished buying all of the stuff I needed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonLou1. Show BostonLou1's posts

Sports Fanatics - Watertown

TurnStyle - Allston

Mr Big Toy - Waltham

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rudejay. Show rudejay's posts

SPAGS!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cebubaby. Show cebubaby's posts

Also, how can I forget the Wal-Lex in Waltham??  We used to bowl, play mini-golf, roller skate and get a soft-serve there.  I also spent enough money in the arcade to buy myself a new car!  I think that the Wal-Lex was everyone's "first date" place in Waltham.  The old Wal-Lex property is now a CVS and a Staple's.  I have nothing against expansion; I assume that Wal-Lex closed because it was no longer financially viable.  The owners obviously could not continue to bleed red ink just to keep a small, local business going so that others could feel good that it was still open. 

Also, who remembers Mr. Donut?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamstalker. Show Dreamstalker's posts

mikesoxfan, Booksmith still exists in Coolidge Corner.  I do miss Cybersmith though.

--Babbages
    --Bradlees
    --Steve's Ice Cream
    --Lechmere
    --Arsenic & Old Lace (used to be outside Porter Square, then moved to Brookline)
    --Coffee Connection (I practically lived in the Coolidge Corner location)
    --Pudding It First was a business venture by a family friend--30 types of pudding.
    --Wordsworth Books
    --Waterstone's
    --Woolworth's
    --Caldor

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

J.M. Fields in Medford

Grants in Medford Square

Jordan Marsh

Chess King (clothing store)

Merry Go Round (clothing store)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickyraptor. Show chickyraptor's posts

Child World.
    Posted by messageboardterrorist

Yeah.

And the boston.com article says that they first opened in 1974.  No way.  It was already around at least in the 1960s.  At some point in the early 1970s the Dedham Child World at Rte. 1/Eastern Ave. (now Staples) moved into the current Bob's Furniture location.  It had previously been a Stop & Shop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickyraptor. Show chickyraptor's posts

Moe Black's and Spag's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

Anyone remember driving by a dunkin donuts and smelling the aroma of donuts cooking. For all of you GEN-X'ers, years ago, Dunkin Donuts, Mister Donut used to make their own donuts. The jingle used to be "Fresh every four hours". And the donuts were big, not the little, ice cold things they pass off as donuts that are made at some bakery and trucked in, shrink wrapped and probably days old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonya1962. Show anthonya1962's posts

who remembers:

-First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse

-Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop

-Flanagans's SuperMarket

-Lum's Restaurant

-The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway).

-Red Coach Grill

-Valle's Steakhouse

-Bonanza Steakhouse

-Rustler's Steakhouse

-York Steakhouse

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from guidad. Show guidad's posts

Anyone remember the Arcade Bazaar on Revere Beach.  Great Vinyl records, when that was all there was.  Also, Rudolf's Peppered Steak on Revere Beach?

also, when Jordan March had a Stamp Department (besides the great blueberry muffins and record department)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl5. Show BostonGirl5's posts

Filene's
    Lechmere
    Bailey's

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Libbysam. Show Libbysam's posts

Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Lechmere
    Filenes
    Filenes Basement
    Paragon Park
    Concerts on the Common
    Jimmy's Harborside
    57 Restaurant

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from northeastnostalgia. Show northeastnostalgia's posts

Somerville Lumber. Now that was a great store. Everything you needed from the foundation on up. They had top quality products and excellent staff .They offered free delivery all over New England. Payless Cashways bought them and mismanaged them right off the map. Home Depot built their second store in the Northeast right across the street from their Somerville location. They went right for the jugular vein and people really got sucked in. Depot could never comapre to Somerville. They sell a ton of low quality junk but most people don't know any better. They stopped doing free deliveries within six months of Someville's closing. I miss them still.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeanoBaby. Show DeanoBaby's posts

Warburton's. I miss their pumpkin and raisin muffins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Anyone remember driving by a dunkin donuts and smelling the aroma of donuts cooking. For all of you GEN-X'ers, years ago, Dunkin Donuts, Mister Donut used to make their own donuts. The jingle used to be "Fresh every four hours". And the donuts were big, not the little, ice cold things they pass off as donuts that are made at some bakery and trucked in, shrink wrapped and probably days old.
    Posted by anthonya1962

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from onlinenewsreader. Show onlinenewsreader's posts

Talbots Kids.  Where does one buy nice dress clothes for boys.  There shirts and khaki pants were excellent quality. Luckily, I have the blazers from size 6 through 14. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I worked at Dunkin Donuts on Tremont Street in Boston back in 1975.  Yes, the baker would work all night and the place smelled unbelievable!  I didn't realize they no longer do that.  I ate too many donuts working there and lost my taste for them :)  But nothing like one when they are hot![

QUOTE]Anyone remember driving by a dunkin donuts and smelling the aroma of donuts cooking. For all of you GEN-X'ers, years ago, Dunkin Donuts, Mister Donut used to make their own donuts. The jingle used to be "Fresh every four hours". And the donuts were big, not the little, ice cold things they pass off as donuts that are made at some bakery and trucked in, shrink wrapped and probably days old.
    Posted by anthonya1962[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from northeastnostalgia. Show northeastnostalgia's posts

Davis Square, Somerville 60's / 70's
    Gorins
    Grants
    Woolworths
    Parke Snows
    Bargain Center
    Thom McCanns
    Ming Toy
    Speedy Pizza
    The Waldorf
    Sparks
    Cummings
    Fanny Farmer
    Brighams
    Steve's Ice Cream
    (2) Record stores
    Who needed to go to a Mall or Boston ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cillovely. Show cillovely's posts

Oh so many memories.

And yes Child Wold in Dedham had to be in existence long before 1974, I used to go there many many times and I know I was younger than 7.

Chadwicks in Lexington..Yummy!

NHD, or any small hardware store, not these huge stores that don't have that little somehting you need.
    Frank's garden center
    Leachmere
    Bradlees
    Cherry Webb and Tourraine

And Jolly Trolley's in N. Atteboro. Grew out of it long ago, but it would be nice to take my son there now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowagent. Show Shadowagent's posts

The stores I miss are:
    Caldor
    Filene's
    Jordan Marsh
    Child World
    Kitchen Etc.
    Lechmere
    Lechters

Is there a store that's gone out of business - whether this past year or even 10 years ago - that you desperately miss shopping at? Is there a brand no longer available that you used to swear by? Share your memories of stores and brands of yesterday - and yesteryear.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

LITTLE CAESARS! I swear they were in MA for like 5 years, then poof they were gone.  Still have them elsewhere, but bring them back! I know it doesn't qualify as "missing" if they were never here, but how about bringing to MA the following eateries:  Sonic, Buffalo Wild Wings, CiCi's Pizza, White Castle I mean they play the advertisements on TV enough... stop tantalizing us!
    Posted by bouncer91182

Are U from Georgia or something?.....LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark-Ellen. Show Mark-Ellen's posts

As long as you're hungry, why not remember:
    Pieroni's
    Leaning Tower Of Pizza
    Gamsuns
    The G & G Deli in Dorchester
    Dinty Moores
    Topsy's (Fontaines)
    Sevegni's (Seven E's) on Southern Artery (Best fried clams EVER!!!!)
    Morey Pearls
    Richard's Drive-In Car-feteria (Quincy and Cambridge)
    The Meadows
    The Embers
    Blinstrubs
    Slades
    Giovani's (Framingham)
    Hot Shoppes
    Joe & Nemo's
    Nedick's
    A & W Drive In
    Grandma's Pie Shops

who remembers: -First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse -Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop -Flanagans's SuperMarket -Lum's Restaurant -The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway). -Red Coach Grill -Valle's Steakhouse -Bonanza Steakhouse -Rustler's Steakhouse -York Steakhouse
    Posted by anthonya1962

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpp10. Show gpp10's posts

- Made my parents buy my first record album - Frampton Comes Alive at Ann & Hope
    - Bought my first clock radio at Lechmere ("where you pocket the difference").  Loved the record album aisles as you walked in at the Danvers store.
    - Spent good money at Popcorn Records.
    - York Steakhouse - in Danvers
    - Bought my first 'real' stereo, Receiver (Nikko), Turntable (Technics) and Speakers (Original KLH) at Tech Hifi.  Note:  Bill Lee was on the cover of the store catalogue.

Sections
Shortcuts