Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpp10. Show gpp10's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

Child World in Swampscott, circa 1967-8

Yeah. And the boston.com article says that they first opened in 1974.  No way.  It was already around at least in the 1960s.  At some point in the early 1970s the Dedham Child World at Rte. 1/Eastern Ave. (now Staples) moved into the current Bob's Furniture location.  It had previously been a Stop & Shop.
    Posted by chickyraptor

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Someone said they missed Home Quarters....

If you worked there....you would not have said that...those guys were Slave Drivers...terrible place to work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwilliams81. Show dwilliams81's posts

I remember Lum's very well. All the sandwiches came in a red plastic basket lined with wax paper. The day I bought my first car my dad and I had lunch there while the car was getting new tires. :)

who remembers: -First National Stores - turned into Edwards Food Warehouse -Purity Supreme - bought by Stop & Shop -Flanagans's SuperMarket -Lum's Restaurant -The White Tower Restaurant in Somerville (corner of Broadway & Mcgrath Highway). -Red Coach Grill -Valle's Steakhouse -Bonanza Steakhouse -Rustler's Steakhouse -York Steakhouse
    Posted by anthonya1962

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Red Coach Grill...is back as the "Coach Grill"....

http://www.coachgrillrestaurant.com/index.cfm?pid=10252

55 Boston Post Road Wayland, MA 01778

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maccapecod. Show maccapecod's posts

A few more I recalled over the weekend:

Anderson Little
    Almy's (one was in Hanover Mall and burbs owned by S&S)

I started my career in retail at the Bargain Center in Quincy graduated to Zayre's from there!  Both financed my nights out in High School.  Miss getting shades cut to size and curtains that don't cost a fortune.

Mel Wood's Pizza in Braintree: kitchen open until 11:30/midnight and a large pepperoni with 16 slices was $10 and split with 3 or 4 friends was a bargain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Mello Yello Quisp cereal Frankenberry cereal
    Posted by mosismooses

What about Freakies?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Also Russo's Candy House in Saugus which was torn down for a Krispy Kreme. I know they still operate somewhere, but they had the best ice cream. Posted by Newfieguy

Russo's reopened just the candy operation in a strip mall down the street from the old Rte. 1 site. No ice cream though. Their chocolate chip was the best, and the building was classic. It was sacrilege to put a Krispy Kreme in that spot. Russo's was not making its own ice cream the last few years anyway. Their machine broke and rather than fixing/replacing it he did what too many ice cream shops are doing and just got supplied from Richardson's. I knew it wouldn't be long till they closed after that. Oh well, at least Prince Restaurant is still there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Child World in Swampscott, circa 1967-8
    Posted by gpp10

Wikipedia confirms Child World as opening in 1974.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439043. Show user_439043's posts

I didn't see some of these mentioned, but I grew up in WMass, so I had was exposed to several local WMass and CT department stores.  Also, here's two nice links of defunct stores if you lived in other parts of the country 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_department_stores_of_the_United_States
    http://dshistory.com/stores/

Service Merchandise, closed in 2002, relaunched only on internet just like Linen's N' Things and Circuit City  http://www.servicemerchandise.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Merchandise

G.Fox  (based out of Hartford CT)...http://www.chs.org/fox/store.html, sold out to May Dept in 1968, but continued to operated under G.Fox name until early '90's

Steigers  (flagship store in downtown Spfld, the downtown Holyoke, downtown Spfld, Holyoke Mall, Hampshire Mall-Hadley/Amherst, Eastfield Mall-Spfld by Lord & Taylor, Enfield Mall-CT).  6 of 10 stores were bought/closed by May Dept 1994.  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4298/is_199401/ai_n14946120/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neilyd1. Show neilyd1's posts

Strawberries Record Stores
    The Child World at the Hanover Mall
    King Castleland

Jello Pudding Pops

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from montzumasrevenge. Show montzumasrevenge's posts

Here is a very entertaining site for those of you interested in old stores and malls!

http://www.deadmalls.com/

Theres writeups and photos from old, forgotten malls and arcades. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapeCodDan00. Show CapeCodDan00's posts

Zeppys Bagel Bakery in Randolph. Went by the store and it was empty. They had the best bagles anywhere.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from neilyd1. Show neilyd1's posts

Just remembered 2 more (for those living on the South Shore)

Fred Threads
    Angelo's Supermarkets

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HubbDave. Show HubbDave's posts

Almy's   Pewter Pot      Ground Round     Stuart's       Rich's (da Rich in Gardner-heh!)     BPM (pre-Shaw's)    Bliss Bros. Dairy (still around)  Fayva shoes
    Thom McHann       J.J. Newbury   Bailey's (hot fudge  mmmmm)
    Coffee Connection    Jolly Cholly's     King's Castleland    Lincoln Park   Whalom Park    Rocky Point     Benson's      Howard Johnson's on the highways     Grant's    King's     Bradlee's     Mamoth Mart     Apex     Oh's cereal      Funny Face drink mix       Crazy Eddie 's    Planet of the Tapes  

This could go on for hours!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HubbDave. Show HubbDave's posts

Space Food Sticks!     ABC Afterschool Specials      Rat Fink         the real Atari
    Polaroid         Stretch Armstrong         Schaefer Stadium       video arcades       Strawberries     Coleco            Superfriends              Count Chocula        Captain Kangaroo           the old Zoom            Star Wars before the prequels       Kenner               Bennigen's (yuck!)           the Friendly's that used to be in the Museum of Science           Almac's   (cool conveyor belts!)    Fernandes markets        Don Kent doing the weather        
    1001 Plays Arcade
    Hey Mister that's a Donut Hey Mister that's a Mister donut Donut!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soteria. Show Soteria's posts

Woolworths!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soteria. Show Soteria's posts

And another thing that I really miss - remember Crazy Eddie commercials on TV?  They were more entertaining than most of the shows....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cambridge71. Show Cambridge71's posts

Being 38 now there are a few places that I can think of that I remember from back almost 40 years now. Some are:

TurnStyle - the one in Allston that became a Caldor and then Big Kmart then nothing.
    Lechmere - this place was awesome, at the end they were trying to be too much like a department store with the jewelry sales and mattreses. Good Grief.
    Havard Bazaar - In central square cambridge.
    Almy's - clothing store chain that was bought by the Stop&Shop group and then closed.
    Robert Hall (clothing store) - Memorial Drive - Cambridge next to what is now Microcenter/previously Stop  & Shop.
    Cocoran's(no sure I spelled that right) - clothing stores in Central and Harvard
    Squares
    Coffee Connection - of all their locations - the Harvard Square location is the one I miss the most.
    Cafe Aaventura - in The Garage in Harvard Square. Best place for a slice after school.
    Irvings Toys on Mass Ave in Cambridge, half way between Harvard & Porter.
    Jack-in the box - Central Square location. Then became a Burger King and now some thing else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RailTrailSean. Show RailTrailSean's posts

Pewter Pot!

And Tower Records, I miss them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocky08. Show rocky08's posts

Pewter Pot
    Jordan Marsh - for their blueberry muffins, yummy
    Gilchrist
    Caldor
    Zayre's (My parents always said Santa stopped there to refill his sled on his way to my house... their reason for gifts having Zayre's price tags!! And I believed it, made perfect sense to me!!)
    Definitely miss Filene's the most... hate Macys
    Lums
    Ann & Hope
    Bradford Furniture
    First National
    Purity Supreme
    ----that's all my old brain can think of right now...  I'm sure there are many, many more!!  Pretty sad!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaryGraceC. Show MaryGraceC's posts

Does anyone remember Almy's?  Or how about Webber's??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ccperrin717. Show Ccperrin717's posts

The old Methuen Mall in general - I knew that entire mall inside and out!  (The current site of The Loop.)
    Bradlee's in Plaistow, NH.
    Caldor's in Methuen, MA.
    Jordan Marsh in the old Methuen Mall, and the Jordan Marsh Basement Store in Manchester, NH.
    Zayre's, Mal's, W.T. Grant's and J.M. Fields in Haverhill, MA.
    A&P and the old Car Wash next door in the Riverside area of Haverhill, MA. (I think the plaza is now called Riversedge Plaza.  Building 19 is in the old J.M. Fields building.)
    Ann & Hope at the old Methuen Mall.  I wasn't too crazy about the store, but I loved their lawn and garden department!
    Bishop's Restaurant - my first taste of Lebanese food and the best fries in the world!
    Romano's Macaroni Grill at the Loop in Methuen.  Awesome Lobster Ravioli!
    Mitchell's Department Store, Grad's, Karelis Jewelers and Casey Paper in downtown Haverhill, MA.  ("Karelis Jeweler's time is...." on the old WHAV.)
    WHAV in Haverhill!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ccperrin717. Show Ccperrin717's posts

Oh, I just thought of some more!

King's Department Store and Giant Department Store in Plaistow, NH.
    Custeau's Supermarket in Plaistow and Hampstead, NH
    Lechmere in Salem, NH, where I got a lot of my workout gear.
    After shopping at Robert Hall in West Gate Plaza in Haverhill, don't forget to go to Thom McAnn to buy your shoes!
    I remember the radio jingle for Barbo's Furniture..."Barbo's, Barbo's, Furniture You Can Live With, Happily Ever After!"...where you could buy your Castro Convertable!
    The old Sinclair Gas Station in Route 125 in Plastow, NH.(where Starbuck's is now which used to be a Dairy Queen, across from DeMoulas and Kohl's.)  I remember it had a large green dinosaur on the roof, and used to give away little plastic green "Dino" banks to save your pennies in!
    IGA in Plaistow, NH.

Wow...sigh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickcav. Show rickcav's posts

Lacy's, Ladinsky's and Turnstyle

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adakotamoon. Show adakotamoon's posts

King's in West Roxbury and Decelle's and Value Village in West Roxbury

Sections
Shortcuts