Defunct stores/brands that you miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from escapeartist. Show escapeartist's posts

Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss

In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defunct stores/brands that you miss : Remember Wordsworth bookstore in Havard Sq?  Freakin sweet bookstore... I miss it bad.
    Posted by basildave[/QUOTE]

A great bookstore...much missed!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I miss Jordan Marsh, complete with the Enchanted Village @ Christmas and their blueberry muffins that were so big they couldn't close the box.

I miss Lechmere, Bradlees, Woolworth and the Filene's and the original filene's basement.

What makes me sad though is something about *not* having a department store that is based in Boston.  Filene's Basement isn't even owned by locals anymore.

I also miss Bailey's hot fudge sundae's and malben's gourmet store.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]Wikipedia is incorrect.  I remember the Child World in Dedham in the early 60s.
    Posted by BostonGirl5[/QUOTE]

I too, remember Child World in dedham in the 1960's.  Its now a Bob's Discount Furniture.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]Zeppys Bagel Bakery in Randolph. Went by the store and it was empty. They had the best bagles anywhere.
    Posted by CapeCodDan00[/QUOTE]

Zeppy's closed??  where have I been?  i LOVED zeppy's bagels!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]My list would have to be: York Steak House - I remember the little plastic number "tents" that they would give you to signify your order. Pewter Pot in the Dedham Mall - Good food for a teenager working across the hall at my next place. Bradlees - Too many years working here but helped me be a better person. :-) Baileys - Always got a grilled cheese, lime rickey, and fruit slices on the way out the door. Not sure if anyone remembers this last one but there was a store in the Dedham Plaza (across from what used to be Lechemere - now BJ's) that I swear was called "Consumers". It was like Service Merchandise but I remember getting my Transformer toys there back in the 80's. :-)
    Posted by irishjoe1972[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Hyde Park and remember both Consumers in Dedham Plaza and Service Merchandise.  I hated both of those stores, as you had to fill out an "order form" to get what you wanted to purchase, and they'd retrieve the item for you.  Something about not being able to go into a store, pick up the item and then paying for it.

I remember Snyder Leather came into Dedham Plaza after consumers left.   

I rarely get out towards the Dedham/Hyde Park area anymore, and I am amazed @ how many businesses they have squeezed into the stretch of Route 1 where the movie theatre used to be @ Rustcraft Road and where BJ's is now.  I find it staggering and now w/Legacy Place opening???  Talk about traffic congestion!  On the other hand, with the economy the way it is, no one is buying anything!  Should be interesting to see how these stores do!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inthesticks. Show Inthesticks's posts

• Lechmere's - Springfield store
    • Lauriat's Bookstore - the original Braintree Plaza
    • The Magic Crepe
    There was also another store I remember from my childhood, I believe it was in Natick. They sold toys, erector sets, scientific experiments, etc. Not sure, but I believe it was called Mr. Wizard or something  similiar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nt71. Show nt71's posts

Brockton area (more for the childhood memories)

Kings
    Zayres
    Bradlees
    Caldor
    Ames
    ChildWorld
    Woolworth
    Jordan Marsh
    Dunningtons Drugs
    small supermarkets like Finast

-Good times, lunchionette meals, hiding in the clothes racks, getting lost in the toy sections, elation when mom or dad said yes to the toy/candy request. Seems like forever ago, and the world seemed so much simpler (benefit of a child's eyes).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheyCallMeAHippie. Show TheyCallMeAHippie's posts

I bought Tang at the supermarket a few months ago. It's in plastic, not glass jars anymore, but it was alive and well as of earlier this year. I think some brands just seem to stop advertising sometimes, so it seems like they're gone.

I miss vanilla Cookie Crisp, Strawberry Squares cereal, Bravos nacho cheese chips (they were cheesier than Doritos), Sunkist Fruit Roll-Ups (in the white packaging, not the blue, which had a different flavor) and Special K with the rounded flakes instead of the flat flakes, which taste different to me. And I'm already missing Baja Fresh, which came and went from the state in a heartbeat.

[QUOTE]Many great recollections in these posts.  Support real businesses, not faceless, soulless national chains with staff resembling teenage zombies. Hobbytown Pewter Pot Rogers Peet, Arthur L. Johnsons, RH Sterns (clothing) Signor Pizza (Kenmore Square) Eric Fuchs (Tremont Street, Boston) Strawberries, Popcorns, Recordsmith - three record stores within two blocks! Q Audio Jack & Marions Restaurant Reply to TorranceCA - that Brahmin building between Boylston and Newbury Streets was "Massachusetts Tech" (predecessor to MIT before they moved across the Charles River), the Boston Fine Arts Museum, and most recently Louis Boston clothing (soon to close, I've learned). Moxie - love it - a cross between root beer and shoe polish.  The only soda my Dad would drink (he was a true Mainer). Zarex Quisp and Quake Cereals (they were fluorescent green) Sport Cola (banned by the FDA for containing cyclamates) Space Food Sticks Tang We shopped at Dedham Child World around 1970, maybe earlier.  Wikipedia is wrong. Don't believe everything you read.
    Posted by AugustWest2[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RacerX221. Show RacerX221's posts

In Response to Defunct stores/brands that you miss:
    [QUOTE]Is there a store that's gone out of business - whether this past year or even 10 years ago - that you desperately miss shopping at? Is there a brand no longer available that you used to swear by? Share your memories of stores and brands of yesterday - and yesteryear.
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RacerX221. Show RacerX221's posts

Lechmere Sales, Dedham

Bombay Company (several locations - all gone now)

Also Art Johnson's drive-in restaurant in Norwood (where Burger King is now).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lahey8240. Show lahey8240's posts

As the former Store Manger of Gilchrist of Boston,.I miss the marple spa and the Gilchrist golden Macaroon.Bailys  of course.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackAtkinson. Show JackAtkinson's posts

[QUOTE]Sports Fanatics - Watertown TurnStyle - Allston Mr Big Toy - Waltham
    Posted by BostonLou1[/QUOTE]

TurnStyle, now there's a memory.  I recall getting a wristwatch and a model of a '66 Lincoln Continental (with suicide doors) there.  I had completely forgotten about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackAtkinson. Show JackAtkinson's posts

[QUOTE]As long as you're hungry, why not remember: Pieroni's Leaning Tower Of Pizza Gamsuns The G & G Deli in Dorchester Dinty Moores Topsy's (Fontaines) Sevegni's (Seven E's) on Southern Artery (Best fried clams EVER!!!!) Morey Pearls Richard's Drive-In Car-feteria (Quincy and Cambridge) The Meadows The Embers Blinstrubs Slades Giovani's (Framingham) Hot Shoppes Joe & Nemo's Nedick's A & W Drive In Grandma's Pie Shops
    Posted by Mark-Ellen[/QUOTE]

Blinstrubs, yikes, wasn't that in South Boston?  I think it burned down circa 1967.  Joe and Nemo's, ha!  I remember the one in Mattapan Square, right by the train tracks.  No, that was Simcoe's By the Bridge; sorry!  I believe that there was a Joe and Nemo's right by the old Dudley Square T station.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackAtkinson. Show JackAtkinson's posts

[QUOTE]Wikipedia confirms Child World as opening in 1974.
    Posted by zitface[/QUOTE]

Then Wikipedia is wrong!  I distinctly recall the aforementioned Dedham Child World well before 1974.  It was, for lack of a better term, a parking lot appendage of the Dedham Mall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackAtkinson. Show JackAtkinson's posts

[QUOTE]======== I forgot all about Tech HiFi. I still have a pair of small TDC speakers I bought there. It wasn't that long ago I was still using them. My dentist has the same speakers in his office. When I bought them - FINALLY Tech HFi put them on sale - the sales guy said to me, "You've been waiting to buy these for a while, right?" Yes, I had been.
    Posted by AguaCaliente[/QUOTE]

I still have the Dual belt-drive turntable that I bought at the Harvard Square Tech HiFi in 1979.  It sits in my basement, but it still works!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Meet-Joe-Black. Show Meet-Joe-Black's posts

R. H. Stearns (Tremont St.), You didn't shop off the rack, items were in cases and you were waited on,  Filene's and Filene's Basement (when they were both family owned), Jordan Marsh (their blueberry muffins, and Santa's Village), Gilcrhrist (corner of Washington and Winter), Kennedy's (Summer St), the lunch counter at Kresge 5 & 10 (Washington Sr.), Sherman's (Bromfield Sy.) Bonwitt Teller (when it was on Berkley St), Fannie Farmer (Tremont St.)  I used to love the chocolate cigarettes, wrapped in paper, and in a plastic cigarette case, and Bailey's Ice Cream (West St.)  The best sundaes ever!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Meet-Joe-Black. Show Meet-Joe-Black's posts

[QUOTE]As the former Store Manger of Gilchrist of Boston,.I miss the marple spa and the Gilchrist golden Macaroon.Bailys  of course.
    Posted by lahey8240[/QUOTE]

I'd forgotten about the delicious macaroons at Gilchrist

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Meet-Joe-Black. Show Meet-Joe-Black's posts

The automats!

The last automat Horn and Hardart's Automat at 42nd St and Third Ave. I remember going as a child and then for nostalgic visits until it closed in 1991.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ringleader. Show ringleader's posts

Lechmere
    Ann and Hope
    Thom McCann
    Woolworth
    Almy's

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Entropic. Show Entropic's posts

Quantum Books
    Oxford Ale House
    Zum Zums (anyone old enough to remember this Harvard Square hang?)
    The Tasty
    Wursthaus
    Swiss Alps
    N.E. Music City
    That big book store that used to be in Harvard Square
    Lechmere (of course)

Yeah, I guess I spent a lot of time in Cambridge...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from improbulus. Show improbulus's posts

[QUOTE]Deli King on Comm Ave and Harvard Street.
    Posted by muse57[/QUOTE]

I agree - loved Deli King!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oxymephorous. Show oxymephorous's posts

[QUOTE]Moxie.  Technically it still exists, but if you are old enough to have tasted it before it was reformulated you know it's nothing like the original.  An acquired taste to be sure, but truly unique.
    Posted by geolovely[/QUOTE]

Moxie is alive and well up here in the state of maine- you can get it just about anywhere. But yes, it is different.... probably because there's corn syrup in it now instead of cane sugar : (

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oxymephorous. Show oxymephorous's posts

[QUOTE]As the former Store Manger of Gilchrist of Boston,.I miss the marple spa and the Gilchrist golden Macaroon.Bailys  of course.
    Posted by lahey8240[/QUOTE]

My mum was an accountant at Gilchrist in the seventies, I wonder if you know her? She used to tell me all kinds of fun stories about her life as a young, independent waoman in downtown boston.

Things I miss:

Filene's basement (the real thing, downtown)
    Tatnuck Booksellers in Worcester
    The Deli Haus, Kenmore Square
    Just about everything in Harvard Square, before it was turned into a mall.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Re: Are You Still Willing To Trade Clay, Bard and Bowden For Halladay???

In Response to Re: Are You Still Willing To Trade Clay, Bard and Bowden For Halladay???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Are You Still Willing To Trade Clay, Bard and Bowden For Halladay??? : I know you're just trolling, but it is interesting that you mention Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard and Michael Bowden while singling out Roy Halladay's performance since the trade deadline. For the record, here are August numbers for each player: Roy Halladay 36 IP, 4.50 ERA Clay Buchholz 27.2 IP, 5.86 ERA Daniel Bard 9.1 IP, 8.68 ERA Michael Bowden 2 IP, 31.50 ERA Roy Halladay might not be pitching like Sandy Koufax, but he's not pitching as poorly as Buchholz, Bard or Bowden, either.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thank you, good post.

It may be a sacrilege for this board but someone at some point should really question how good Clay Buchholz really is.  Not the hype we've been fed, but really is.

He came up at the end of August, '07 and made three starts, threw a no-hitter and went back down. Came up in '08 and had a melt-down between May and August, never getting out of the 4th inning - was sent down again. Came up in mid-year this year with the RS starting rotation taking on water. This year he's made 8 starts, 43 innings. 5.02 ERA and a +1.7 WHIP.

Just not sold that the kid, at 25 now, is the second coming of Cy Young. Hypothetically he could turn into a no-trade valuable property. Hypothetically if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bus.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmeltzer. Show jmeltzer's posts

Filene's Basement, downtown (murdered, and this needs to be an election issue)

Wordsworth (seemed to be a flourishing business - why did the owners decide to go into yuppie kids toys instead?)

Tower (overpriced, but they had everything)

Quantum Books and Softpro Books (I guess there aren't any programmers in Boston anymore)