Do you despise e-mail?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

Do you despise e-mail?

More and more people are doing everything possible to avoid e-mail. Have you changed your e-mail strategy? Are you sick of e-mail? Tell us the methods you use to reduce e-mail.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

Re: Do you despise e-mail?

Far from despising it, it remains my principal form of communication. Perhaps I am a product of a different era, but I find that my thoughts almost never fit in a tweet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwinters. Show rwinters's posts

I use e-mail as my primary form of communication when not talking face-to-face with people  (so old fashioned!). I do not use a cell phone and have no interest in getting one, but I know there are many robotic people with "smart" phones who do most of their communication with their thumbs. I prefer to use ten fingers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fondle. Show Fondle's posts

Not at all: it's essential to my communication. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbene. Show jbene's posts

Agreed... it's essential to my business. Pure and simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from n64coder. Show n64coder's posts

In response to BDCEditor's comment:

More and more people are doing everything possible to avoid e-mail. Have you changed your e-mail strategy? Are you sick of e-mail? Tell us the methods you use to reduce e-mail.

No, I still use email primarily.  I do have two email addresses: one for work and the other personal.  The only change I make is to never use my work email address for personal matters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

I despise spam email. And the constant barrage of emails from various busisnesses. Too much. Not to mention the pleas for cash donations from the political speheres. To counter the volme of email msgs, I have several email accounts.

Otherwise I like e-mail as a primary tool for work and pesonal commnication. I can track messages, give recepiants time to respond to requests, and share news with friends and family that is more than sound bites and mashed up letters. To me it's purposeful communication.

I am not a fan of the time suck involved with twitter and facebook. Text messages are okay for casual updates or check ins. But not on the road...

I think in house servers for work places using the latest innvovations in technology are great.

Not a fan of the outside social media. Emphasis on social used for work. FB is contaminated with ad space and spam msgs.  Privacy is nonexistent and exhausting to keep settings updated.  I hate using twitter to commuicate in conversation.  And instagram? Sigh. More narcissm there and so high school.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bamboobob. Show bamboobob's posts

Try to arrange a meeting with six people or discuss vacation plans with out email. The guy who says use the phone is rediculous. Let's plan the kids party on twitter. Anothe shallow stupid Globe article. This paper is in its death thows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chris4. Show Chris4's posts

I despise all the spam.  I enjoy e-mail from family and friends.  Same as snail mail.  There's good and bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeresJohnny. Show HeresJohnny's posts

I think the boston.com online poll says it all: The favorite means of communication is email.  Seems like boston.com is a little bit out of step with this discussion question.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigduke. Show bigduke's posts

I use email everyday, and no I don't despise it.    I don't know anyone who works professionally that does not use it.   Tweeting is one thing, as is texting.   But if you need to send large documents, then most likely you will use email.      How do you design a Powerpoint on a phone and then send it to someone?  You don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

I am retired, and keep in touch with family and friends by E-Mail. The reason I like e-mail is

most of my friends like me, are hard of hearing.so a phone conversation can be very 

norm crosby like.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AG62. Show AG62's posts

Works great for me.  I have one for personal communication and another for commercial and other uses.  Keeps the spam off the personal account.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from llibgib. Show llibgib's posts

No, I prefer it if it is something that you want to get done fast.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

There you have it. In this discussion there is virtually unwavering support for email. The linked Boston.com survey shows email leading the preference pack at 43%, followed by text messages and phone calls. Social networking tools are preferred by less than 3% of respondents. Even more damning, the standard social networking widgets at the bottom of the survey count 0 people liking the survey and 0 people tweeting the survey.

It is interesting that the premise of this whole thing was "more and more people are avoiding email." Is that true generally? What we know for sure is email is still the clear winner of the people who bothered to participate on Saturday.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from edsan. Show edsan's posts

I don't despise it.  I simply now mostly ignore it.  I have uncounted numbers of unopened email containing a world of jokes, most of which have been around several times in various iterations.  I open only email from family and friends who actually have something to tell me.  To those I will respond, if needed.  The rest go into the DO NOT OPEN file.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaput007. Show kaput007's posts

In response to BDCEditor's comment:

I vastly prefer email to phone calls. Much more flexibility for when I read and answer them. No more playing phone tag. Plus you can attach stuff. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindysMom. Show LindysMom's posts

No, I don't despise email.  I use it often.  Not only for communication with people I know but people I only know electronically.  I do use facebook for some communications (not sure if folks read personal FB messages to them) but rarely tweet.  I use Linkedin some.

I try to keep my personal email separate from my work email.  I also have numerous personal email aliases (sub-accounts) that I give out to companies/vendors.

I do get overwhelmed sometimes with the volume of email I get (both work and personal).  Mostly vendors who have not surprisingly gotten my email address.  We have a pretty good anti-spam system at work so the actual spam is not so much the issue as the valid company emails for products and services I am not interested in.

I don't email going away.  Too often what needs to be said has to be said in more than 140 or so characters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bch2hrvrd. Show bch2hrvrd's posts

Love/hate email. The expectation to return one FAST does not always agree w me. I do not care to look at email as often as people seem connected. What helped was an automatice message to that effect. This helped to cut back on email. As afr as the whole social media sphere that has been thrust upon us (god-forbid if u become an 'outsider'!) Twitter can be a forum for annonymous armchair bullies. I quit FB - I found the time was better spent 'live.' 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

No, but I'm not too happy about people who try to tell me how passe I am because they're trying to make a splash.

No, it's not the be-all and end-all of communication, and some facets are better done otherwise--e.g., chat with a friend/ relative, while I'm going through my emails.  But it still does many things better than any other means of communication and has made an incredible dent in phone calls, snail mail, and faxes with its paper trail (and avoidance of "hold"), speed, and convenience, respectively.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I despise computers in general.

I used to spend my lunch hour reading, now I spend my lunch hour wasting time here.

I visit my in box about 5 times a week to delete all the messages I don't want, which is about 99.99% of them.

Sections
Shortcuts