Have you cut the cord on cable television?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Have you cut the cord on cable television?

Have you given up cable television in favor of an antenna or streaming services? Are you considering doing so as cable rates continue to climb? What technical hurdles have you overcome to make the transition?

Use this forum to get and share advice with others. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gpurnell1. Show gpurnell1's posts

Re: Have you cut the cord on cable television?

I amanged to save well over $70.00 per month or $840. per year simply by doing the following.

a:) I purchased my own internet modem saving me $7. per month rental fee or $84. a year.

b:) I removed and returned two extra cable boxes in two bedrooms replacing them with Digital Converters that I purchased online for only $18.ea.

c:) I traded in my HD Cable Box for one that does not have this feature saving me an additional $9.95 per mon or $119.40 a year

d:) I stripped down and cancelled HBO, Starz and all premium channels that all are already owned by each other and only offer repeats. Total Annual Savings $ 840.

e:) I did add Netflix for $8. per month. NICE. Bye, Bye Cable..... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponytail. Show ponytail's posts

Cut cable about 2 years ago. First got an HD antenna to see how many over air signals I got clearly. Won an appleTV on a raffle and subscribed to Netflix on my TIVO. The neat thing is that given HD allows multiple streams per channel, I get more channels without cable than with cable. For example, channel 44 has 5 streams whereas cable will only forward the main stream. Save $100+ per month and get better content. As the article says, most shows are available on other services (paid and free) anyhow. I would recommend it to anyone

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I gave up cable 2 years ago, and have no regrets, half the time I can find a lot of the tv shows on the internet.

I just don't think it is worth it.

I find I'm watching less and less tv anyway and the commercials are so annoying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tater. Show tater's posts

I like to watch ESPN, NESN, CNN, Food Network, AMC, History Channel 2, etc.  Unless there is something I am not aware of, cable/FIOS/satellite is still the only way to get these channels.  I also like the ease and convience of cable.

Plus, when more people drop cable, the price of Hulu, Netflix, etc. is going to go up.  The entertainment companies are always going to get their $$.

It works for some people, but not worth it to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohican6791. Show mohican6791's posts

I cut the cable cord a few month ago a love it. Got the HD antenna for local channels. Piad $100 for Roku 3 and Chromecast. I do pay for Netflix and Hulu + but $16 a month vs $189 is a no brainer. The ONLY issue I have is NESN and the bruins and Sox games. SO if anyone can help me with that  I would appreciate. (NHL GAME CENTER blacks out local game

I would really like some help On the Bruins games. My wife is gonna kick my a@# if I keep going to the local watering hole to watch them...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vinn7. Show Vinn7's posts

I would love to - but I am handcuffed to broadband for internet access with no real alternative up here in NH.

Oh, and then there are sports!  Remember the days of watching the Bruins and Celtics on channel 38? Not anymore!  Sports are not for public consumption anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ed6567. Show Ed6567's posts

I cut the cable 18 months ago and don't miss it.  I use PlayonTV and Aereo and actually watch more content now than I did when I was paying 40/month for DirectTV.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joanne0012. Show joanne0012's posts

In response to Vinn7's comment:... "I would love to - but I am handcuffed to broadband for internet access with no real alternative up here in NH..."

Nobody's advocating giving up your broadband, in fact some of the recommended options like Netflix and Roku require it. The article is about giving up the TV portion of your cable company bill.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joanne0012. Show joanne0012's posts

Had cable for a couple of years, gave it up and don't miss it.

We made one-time investments in a Roku and two flat antennas from Winegard (FL-5000, under $40) which get over 20 broadcast channels (10 miles south of Boston). These are supplemented by an $8 Netflix subscription. That's plenty!  

Many of the cable networks like Comedy Central and Lifetime make their programming available on their web sites the next day. So even if you're addicted to Colbert or Project Runway, there's no need to pay for a cable TV service.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pizzalips. Show pizzalips's posts

All these options are just fine if you have a high speed connection to the internet (cable or dsl) with the exception of broadcast tv. How do you stream without one?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiplesp. Show shiplesp's posts

I dropped cable a few months ago when I realized I wasn't really watching much.  I do have a Roku, and Netflix and Hulu Plus.  That satisfies my watching needs and saves me real money.  I have not missed cable, especially the bills, even once.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwallask. Show jwallask's posts

With the exception of the sting of losing NESN, cutting the cord was a no-brainer for me!

Living exactly halfway between Boston and Providence, I get a plethora of digital OTA (over-the-air) channels! Most in glorious HD without the compression essential for the cable companies to bundle all those other services in!

…phone, Internet and TV all on one wire?? Something’s gotta give!!  Wink

In fact, the HD picture on my 50" plasma is much better OTA than via cable!

Also, the sub-channels available are a hoot! Classic movies, classic TV shows (Lost in Space, anyone?), MTV-like (think circa 1980s style) music channels, etc.... All for FREE!!

My solution included an Antennas Direct DB4e antenna on the roof, and my plasma’s built-in HDTV receiver. Coupled with my laptop’s built-in true HD output and my Internet Wi-Fi, I can stream and download just about anything else I need to watch!

BTW, I too bought my Internet modem instead of paying $7/month to the cable company…..

I went from around $200/month to watch 2 channels (NBC & NESN) via cable to $30/month for just the high-speed Internet access to stream!

Take that, cable company!!  Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

I'm strongly considering cutting the cable, but I can't quite take the plunge yet, and it's mainly because I can't quite make the numbers work. I currently pay about $135/month for cable tv + broadband access + a Netflix account. Dropping the cable TV portion I believe would cut that bill down to about $90/month (remember, broadband itself isn't free). $45/month savings isn't nothing, but realistically I'd probably need to add a service or two (Hulu +, Aereo, etc), and I'm sure I'd ocassionally be buying episodes of premium shows that I watch (like Mad Men). So I doubt I'd save on net much more than thirty bucks a month. That's not nothing, mind you, but it doesn't quite justify giving up seamless access to DVR service, sporting event. etc. But yes, I may take the plunge yet, especially if my cable bill continues to grow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tysondog. Show tysondog's posts

Does anyone know if AMC and FX allow you to watch the shows on line without logging into your "provider"?  I would love to cut my cable...hubby and I have been talking about it for a while now, but am addicted to shows on those two stations!  Everything else we watch is on a major network which we can get either directly throught the station or Hulu.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 22miles. Show 22miles's posts

OK- the extra TV is now gone. But Comcast now is charging $51.98 for good internet. How best to cut that down?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heywood1. Show heywood1's posts

I cancelled comcast TV a few months ago.  They are the worst vendor I have ever done business with, price goes up constantly, and it seems to be used for marketing only.  Customer service is terrible and their 'suvery' only asks abotu the person you just spoke with, not the myriad of other problems I have with the system.  I put a $40 antenna in my attic, get about 25 stations in brilliant HD.  Also subscribe to Aereo, it is fair, the delay and bufferign sometimes isn't acceptable.  Probably going to cancel Aereo.

For sports - NESN, ESPN, etc I use a Vulkano receiver I have installed at a friends house - similar to Slingbox, but more reliable.  $150 from Amazon, no monthly charge.  I Connect it to their CATV box and wireless internet witht heir approval, and it gives me access to watch whatever I want on his cable box via the internet.

Comcast has treated me like dirt for years - 30 minutes on hold to be told that department is closed in the evenign, etc.  so now my comcast bill is $60 a month instead of 2.5x that.  rot in hell comcast..

try a Monsoon Multimedia Vulkano receiver at a friend's house to watch premium cable tv for no extra charge!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

I bought a Mohu Leaf antenna and get 35 stations. Of that I only watch 2,4,5,7,38,56 and the Create channel (a PBS station) all in really nice HD that looks better than cable. The other stations arnt broadcasting shows in HD (usually old movies or old TV shows) so the picture is in the original aspect ratio the shows were filmed in. There are about 10 spanish stations that I don't watch. The remaining are shopping shows.

Yes, you do need internet access for streaming etc. I have a linux based Raspberry Pi that lets me stream current cable shows and a plethora of independant shows in an On Demand type of situation. Works great.  All that said, I don't watch a lot of TV anyway. As someone else mentioned, the commercials are too irritating. In the morning I watch the news and maybe pirate a movie at night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

• gpurnell1
    • First: 8/24/2008
    • Last: 10/30/2013

I amanged to save well over $70.00 per month or $840. per year simply by doing the following.

a:) I purchased my own internet modem saving me $7. per month rental fee or $84. a year.

b:) I removed and returned two extra cable boxes in two bedrooms replacing them with Digital Converters that I purchased online for only $18.ea.

----

Would you kindly post links to these, so we can know where to purchase them, and what kind of devices to purchase? And are all these devices easy to install (for the Luddites among us)?

Thank you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenrir. Show Fenrir's posts

Terminated my Comcast Cable and Phone,

1. Kept Internet: 50.00 a month using my own modem

2. HD antenna: get all the basic channels

2. Hulu: 8.00

3. Netflix: 8.00

4. Two Apple TVs, and an old xbox: for streaming devices

5.  A good friend's cable log in for access to HBO GO and Showtime. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeTrainor. Show MikeTrainor's posts

I cut cable and would never go back.

I downgraded to an internet connection only for $34 to stream

I bought an HD antenna and preamplifier and put it in my attic and hooked it to where the cable came into my house so all tv's get reception. I get 31 channels and the picture quality using the antenna is better than cable.

I did invest in a TIVO $14 a month so I can record shows and stream Netflix.

Since I had Nextflix when I had cable I figure between the Tivo and internet I am spending $48 a month compared to the $160 I was spending before. So that’s $112 a month savings or $6,720 over 5 years assuming cable prices don't increase.

Really the only thing I miss is NESN. NFL is over the air and most playoff games are also.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teix. Show teix's posts

I cut the cord over a year ago and could not be happier.

I bought refurbished Mohu leaf antennas for $35 each which brings in clear crisp channels.  My guests are usually surprised to learn that they are watching OTA channels with me.

I initially bought a WDTV Live Hub for $99 to convert my dvd library but then I bought a lifetime subscription Playon for $40 so I could use it as a media player as well. With the plugins I have access to hundreds of channels as well as hundreds of thousands of shows and movies "on demand".

When the price came down to $60, I bought Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem to stop rental fees (plus opening up more speed for me) then bought 2 cheap Belkin routers which I promptly flashed with DD-WRT to create a wireless client bridge around my home. This way I could keep the modem still set up by the main tv so I could keep the tv plugged in via the ethernet cord give me the fastest most reliable speed for streaming and have my phone base and Obi device plugged in the bedroom.

I got Amazon prime which comes with access to their instant Video library. Hulu is free. Vudu and Cinema Now occassionally run promos that give you credit for their movies for free (and I don't mean when you register your device). Last year around this time, I got $20 credit from Vudu and enjoyed spending it with their 99 cent daily deal.

Between Playon, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video I am completely satified with cutting the cord. Having a free home phone is a big plus as well.  My bill went from $120 to under $60.

I know there are services that stream live sports but I've never been interested in finding out more about them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jppns. Show Jppns's posts

We are in the process of cutting the cord with Verizon, but have run into the problem of how to get internet access.  Verizon bundles internet, phone and cable and it basically cost about the same to go with the internet as it would to purchase the bundle. 

We downgraded our cable package and Verizon was also nice enough to decrease our bandwidth on the internet so our connection is now a lot slower (Verizon never told us this would happen when we downgrades our cable package). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for internet only service that is reliable and inexpensive?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeTrainor. Show MikeTrainor's posts

In response to Jppns' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are in the process of cutting the cord with Verizon, but have run into the problem of how to get internet access.  Verizon bundles internet, phone and cable and it basically cost about the same to go with the internet as it would to purchase the bundle. 

We downgraded our cable package and Verizon was also nice enough to decrease our bandwidth on the internet so our connection is now a lot slower (Verizon never told us this would happen when we downgrades our cable package). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for internet only service that is reliable and inexpensive?

[/QUOTE]

Right now Comcast has performance internet 20mbps $29 locked in for 24 months. Not a bad deal. Go to their website and just select internet.

Sections
Shortcuts