Have you cut the cord on cable television?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wreckz. Show wreckz's posts

Re: Have you cut the cord on cable television?

We dropped our cable about 5 years ago and never really looked back.  Here's what we did:

• Got an over-the-air antenna in combination with a media PC for network shows and football.  Occassional basketball or baseball game on the weekend.
    • If you're in a town with MinuteMan library you can reserve pretty much any TV show on DVD and pick it up at your local library when it's available.  We're a season behind, but we never run out of a show to watch, and it's nice to watch a serial show in a row (I can't imagine how people stuck with "Lost" having to wait 1 or 2 weeks every cliffhanger).  Of course you also can get the premium shows at the library as well (HBO, Showtime, etc -> Homeland, Game of Thrones, etc.)
    • We use an ooma for a landline so we don't pay anything for phone.
    • We are currently paying for basic cable and internet ($45 a month) as it's cheaper than paying just for internet.
    • I would be on DSL in a heartbeat ($30 a month), but due to some issues with our condo we don't have a landline.
    • There have been months at time when we went completely without high-speed internet and used tethered 4G internet ($35 plan from t-mobile x 2 for 10GB of 4G data).  Of course you're not going to stream HD video shows, but a lot of people could get by on it.
    • We miss watching all the Red Sox games, but we have kids now, and can't spend the 3hrs per night.  Still listen on the radio on the road or doing the dishes and catch the highlights the next day.  I would love it if they brought back the weekly friday game on network TV.  
    • On a typical night we watch 1 show to decompress after the kids have gone to bed.  Occassionally we'll watch a movie (again from the library).  
    • We watch the Patriots on Sunday without the commercials and it takes only an hour.  In fact, we haven't really had the need to watch a commercial in 5 years.

I'm sure we're probably on the extreme of one end, but I wouldn't do it any other way now.  I can't even go to other people's houses and watch them channel surf =P.  But I really do feel we save a lot of time and money this way and it's more enjoyable for us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jppns. Show Jppns's posts

In response to MikeTrainor's comment:
    Thank you!

In response to Jppns' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are in the process of cutting the cord with Verizon, but have run into the problem of how to get internet access.  Verizon bundles internet, phone and cable and it basically cost about the same to go with the internet as it would to purchase the bundle. 

We downgraded our cable package and Verizon was also nice enough to decrease our bandwidth on the internet so our connection is now a lot slower (Verizon never told us this would happen when we downgrades our cable package). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for internet only service that is reliable and inexpensive?

[/QUOTE]

Right now Comcast has performance internet 20mbps $29 locked in for 24 months. Not a bad deal. Go to their website and just select internet.

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from samho. Show samho's posts

Just be aware that if you get the Audiovox MobileTV, that it receives a special mobile TV broadcast, not regular broadcast TV.  At the moment, you can only get 3 channels in Boston: Fox 25, WGBH2 (PBS) and Qubo.  Also, coverage is spotty outside of 128.

http://www.dyle.tv/coverage-map/?address=Boston,%20MA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from exitseven7. Show exitseven7's posts

I have a digital converter box and an indoor antenna. I get about twenty channels. I bring my laptop to the public library if i need to use internet. The only thing I really miss are Red Sox and Bruins games but I find I don't watch as much TV as I used to.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

I researched how to make a digital TV Antenna on the intertubes... then followed directions provided [very simple: 4 lengths of coathanger wire cut to at 14" lengths, bent at a prescribed angle, attach to a board, connect them with copper wire, attach impedance filter from Radio Shack ($6.95) and connect standard cable to filter, run cable to TV and connect) in my case, I use my MacBook Pro with Elgato EyeTV Hybrid tuner connected to cable. EyeTV comes with software that syncs to available channels and viola!.... access to HD digital TV signals for free.

some resources on making antenna:

EyeTV | elgato.com

How to build a HDTV Antenna....CHEAP!

Make Your Own HDTV Antenna Using Aluminum Foil and Cardboard

Make Your Own HDTV Antenna.flv - YouTube

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

Additional resources often overlooked:

If you don't have a card, get one at your local library.

Libraries are often connected to extended networks of libraries... where you can access holdings and do searches from home.

DVDs and Music are available for free.

I have seen wonderful DVDs not available from Netflix [To Kill a Mockingbird seen yesterday, is the digitally remastered version. it was just a superb movie!] 

Also: Netflix and iTunes are other resources for streaming and ordering TV shows, Movies, Lectures, Podcasts, Radio shows, Music and a host of other media.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anti-Lib. Show Anti-Lib's posts

Try Google.  Geez.

In response to reindeergirl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• gpurnell1
    • First: 8/24/2008
    • Last: 10/30/2013

I amanged to save well over $70.00 per month or $840. per year simply by doing the following.

a:) I purchased my own internet modem saving me $7. per month rental fee or $84. a year.

b:) I removed and returned two extra cable boxes in two bedrooms replacing them with Digital Converters that I purchased online for only $18.ea.

----

Would you kindly post links to these, so we can know where to purchase them, and what kind of devices to purchase? And are all these devices easy to install (for the Luddites among us)?

Thank you.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fodette. Show fodette's posts

A simpler solution than using AppleTV, Roku boxes, SmartTVs  etc.  Just plug a cord from your computer's HDMI output port to one of your TVs HDMI input ports, and watch whatever is on your computer screen on your big flat screen HDTV.  This is what I do.  If your computer does not have HDMI u can buy a card, which I've seen for as cheap as $25 to plug into the inards of your PC.  You might have to configure your PC to treat your 'second display' (i.e. your TV) so that it shows the same image as your primary display (your monitor).  Want to save more money?  Dump cable and spend $50 or less on a TV internal tuner card (just got a good one for $20 on ebay), and $10 on an antenna and get HDTV over the air on your PC. Use windows media center to watch tv live on your HDTV, or schedule your favorites to be recorded on your PC (free - no TIVO needed!) to watch on your HDTV.  Works great for me. I recommend cheapo small blue flat rectangular antenna i bought at Meritline cuz it works better than expensive ones that i experimented with.  I use Windows Media Center to record shows on my PC for later viewing on my TV and I have a second antenna attached to the TV so i can watch one show live and record another on my PC.  Honestly, once the antennas are set up for good reception, this is cheap and effective ... great picture (better than cable as signal is not compressed), and you get all the over the air networks (free), and get free or optional paid internet streaming via netflix/hulu for other shows, which I watch on my big flat screen. Yes, i have to buy internet for the non over the air stuff, but i want internet anyway and yes internet alone is cheaper than internet plus cable TV (at least it is for me).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Radioguy1. Show Radioguy1's posts

So far the only drawback I can see with this, if you want to watch "cable shows" like Walking Dead, Mad Men, FX shows etc you can't.  To watch on-line you have to login with your provider account.  I'm still looking for a way to get these shows.  Netflix, etc does not have anything past season 1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anti-Lib. Show Anti-Lib's posts

SMART tvs like the ones sold by Samsung (and others) allow you to stream that stuff from your computer (for stuff on your computer) or from the web via direct ethernet or wifi.  You don't NEED Apple TV or any other device for this stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zax2000. Show zax2000's posts

I've been living in China for 5+ years, so my cord has been cut for quite a while. Moving overseas forced me to the front of the curve in this movement, but even before I left the US I was already downloading most of my TV (and burning DVDs) and was only watching sports live.

For the past few years I've been using a pretty common tool that is readily available in most electronic shops in China. It's a box that basically acts like an entertainment center/media storage device. It's about half the size of a cable box and sits under your TV. It comes with an optonal installed hard drive (up to 2 GB) and has USB ports for 2 more. Plus it's got a slot for SD cards, a network card for streaming via your computer and HDMI & RCA outputs. The cost? About $70.

Since the internet is way too slow to stream things from the US here, I download everything that I want to watch via torrents or newsgroups. (It's pretty easy to find the quality stuff once you've ben doing it for a little bit. You quickly find the most reliable sources for your stuff.) My box, coupled with the insanely cheap cost of memory, means that I have a huge on-demand video library that is not dependant on a consistent internet connection or some media conglomerate's fickle distrbution whims.

Live sports is a challenge for me with the time difference, so it's not a huge loss, but if I were back in the US that would be my single draw back to cable. I have a feeling, though, that as more and more people cut their cords (and as the cuirrent generation who have never even though of getting cable matures), you'll see the sports that are so tightly ensconced in the pay cable sphere start to migrate back to OTA digital broadcast. If you're NESN, why NOT broadcast your current signal? Start up a channel. Rent your additional bandwith to the NHL Network or MLB Network.

Though I understand that they'd be giving up on user fees from cable companies, I just don't see that as being a sustainable model for much longer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mariellenp. Show mariellenp's posts

I cut out cable about a year ago now.  I never watched much tv and streamed alot so I upgraded my network speed (comcast) and have been perfectly happy not paying that damn bill.  I have since invested in roku.  It was fun at first, and the only diff from pc streaming is the display (tv is 42") and sound system.  I find free website that stream as well and I am ok.  I queue most shows on hulu and watch them when I have time.  I do miss local news, etc but now all the news websites are streaming that live as well so I'm not really missing anything!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KackyR. Show KackyR's posts

This will work great until the cable companies start charging for your individual data use...they already have that capability....check your bill. 

Just like smartphones, you'll have to pay for more useage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fritz-D. Show Fritz-D's posts

Two years ago, our condo upgraded their intercom system to allow residents to use their cell phones to buzz guests in.  At that time, I also discovered that internet access was included in the condo fee.  I only took $100 to setup the connection.  I figured I would try cable free to ibe month since my cable bill at the time was $160 per month.  With $30 for an antenna, $99 for Apple TV and trial run on Neflx and Hulu... I discovered that my viewing habits were the same (except for a couple of shows which I later found on the network's websites)  I haven't missed cable at all.  I also use minute man library to watch other films that I can't find on Netflix, Hulu, or youtube.  Later on I added Aero so I can record broadcasted shows.  So I went from $160 to $30 and never looked back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron7236. Show Ron7236's posts

I got rid of my DirecTV service (and my television) about 6-8 years ago.  I was paying about 80 dollars a month at the time.  I cut the service, ditched the TV.  I now have Netflix streaming (7.99/month) and I order full seasons of shows on itunes or amazon.  Since I only watch about 5 shows a year, that means I pay about 100 dollars per year to watch the shows I want.   The websites of the networds also offer certain shows for free for a limited time after airing.   Do I miss watching sports games?  Nope.  I just go to my friends houses for that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerMal. Show LakerMal's posts

I had considered cutting the cable but would need to keep the internet and phone service up here in NH. The assumption that the article makes that thinks you can save $1,800.00 a year is false. Internet and Phone can run around $80-100.00 per month so cutting the cable only saves maybe $60/month.  There are no over the air stations available in my area and Basic cable for the news and sports alone would run $35/month. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from samlynn. Show samlynn's posts

Prior to the National switch to Digital TV I had to have cable in order to have a picture. Post switch, I used Uncle Sam's coupons to purchase 2 converter boxes. No more bills and a better picture. I don't need hundreds of channels that want to sell me something I don't want. I also watch programs I have missed online. One does NOT have to have everything. Love not having cable. Don't have a landline either. It does grieve me though that Verizon et al penalize us for not bundling. Am also angry, and they WILL hear, that Verizon has upped the cost of my internet while dropping the previous Trellix web tools and space. Kind of like getting on a bus that used to take you home and then finding that it drops you 5 miles away but charges you more. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from samlynn. Show samlynn's posts

Should have also mentioned that the new TVs come with an internal antenna. This means that you don't have to purchase or make an antenna. You need only scan the available channels in with your remote. This way you get your over the air channels. Also, if you are using an antenna this website is invaluable:
    http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx
    http://www.linguee.es/ingles-espanol/traduccion/www.antennaweb.org.html

It tells you what kind of antenna you need for your area, and gives you directional guidance. Great site.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Miranda45. Show Miranda45's posts

In response to joanne0012's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Vinn7's comment:... "I would love to - but I am handcuffed to broadband for internet access with no real alternative up here in NH..."

Nobody's advocating giving up your broadband, in fact some of the recommended options like Netflix and Roku require it. The article is about giving up the TV portion of your cable company bill.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but cutting cable and keeping Internet does not save you any money.  In fact I am was paying $20 a month for Internet only, so now went back to cable, but don't even have it hooked up because I just watch over the air, or streaming through Roku.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Miranda45. Show Miranda45's posts

I cut the cord on cable a few years ago and don't miss it at all.  I have a Leaf antenna which is great when it pulls in stations, but doesn't always if it is rainy or windy.  I have a Roku box, Netflix, and Hulu plus.  I also made Facebook a channel on my Roku so I can watch any online Youtube videos I have posted.  I have Twonky Beam so I can beam Youtube videos onto my tv.  But I have not saved any money.  I only had basic cable before and it actually cost $20 a month extra to have Internet only.  I ended up getting a cable/internet package because it was cheaper and it offered faster Internet than I had.  This is through Comcast.  I also installed Plex but can't figure out how to get it to work yet.

I didn't even both to hook up my cable box because I get HD reception without it - the cable box is standard def.  If anyone has a suggestion for cheaper Internet only, I would be thrilled to hear it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rateal. Show Rateal's posts

I haven't paid for cable since 2006, I just have internet, netflix, hulu, and my game system.  I have never regretted it.  In fact I hardly watch tv anymore anyways and most of it is unnecessary and quite idiotic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donnyjohnson. Show donnyjohnson's posts

Good guide.  I use an antenna, Apple TV, and plug my laptop into my TV with an HDMI cable occasionally.  I mostly watch free streams, Netflix, and buy some shows here and there.  http://bitwhich.com lists live sports, free TV shows, and free movies, all legit and completely legal.  There's a lot of stuff out there to stream if you know where to look.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxnine. Show Redsoxnine's posts

We just cut cable last month when our bill jumped to $191/month for just one HD DVR with HBO. We're currently using Aero (love it so far) for $8/month for live broadcast, as where we live near the Cape doesn't  get much with antenna here. We already had 2 Apple TVs and iDevices, so nothing extra there. We're using a HuluPlus free two-month trial, but even that at $8/month after seems reasonable. We had to keep Comcast internet, but have our own modem now (Christmas gift), so we're still saving over $100/month. The only thing I'll miss is NESN for the Sox, but I can always listen to it on radio, which I like even better sometimes.

For those who have tried Playon TV without a cable account, how do you like it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakelife. Show lakelife's posts

I cut the cord about two years ago, and I do not miss the 190+ dollar charge every month. I realized I was only watching live sports via cable and was using streaming services & the net more anyways. 

We use xbox live for gaming, netflix, youtube, espn3, crunchyroll and others. We have a chromecast for netflix & youtube and look forward to seeing that aspect grow. We stream computer stuff to the flat screen; have a sony blu ray on the other tv; and everyones got ipods/tablets so can watch what they want. 

It doesnt answer live sports yet but we are a soccer house and I believe NBC will soon offer a streaming package, FOX does already. Alacarte is the way to go forward, I think. 

The kids are free of disney and all that stuff which has been really great for them, and we are all pretty up on tech, even my 10 year old.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caycue. Show caycue's posts

I cut the cord two years ago.  I dont watch many shows, so hulu and netflix do the trick for me.  I miss watching Red Sox games, but have rediscovered radio for that.  The mlb.TV app also allows me to watch all out of market games.  

The hidden benefit I found is that along with saving over $100 per month on cable, my electric bill was also sliced by about $25 A month. 

Sections
Shortcuts