Have you cut the cord on cable television?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from suey63. Show suey63's posts

Re: Have you cut the cord on cable television?

I cut the cord about 3 months ago and have no regrets. I'm saving over $100/month and I only had basic cable (no hbo etc). I now feel I watch better and more content than I did before. Also, my picture quality improved drastically without cable which really annoyed me thinking I was paying all that money for sub par picture quality. But I've moved on :)

1. Aereo for my antenna for local stations. Traditional antennas didn't work for my in my condo with cement walls. I also love the DVR feature.
    2. Two Roku boxes (Roku 1 for Living Room (wish I got the Roku 3) and Roku LT for bedroom). Roku has so many channels you will always find things to watch.
    3. I already had Netflix so there was no additional cost there.

My add Hulu Plus and/or Amazon Prime in the future.

My only issue was NESN. I'm a very big Sox fan. So, I got my mother a Slingbox which she uses 3x/day to watch TV on her iMac in her kitchen but I will connect to it for Sox games. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MS42. Show MS42's posts

dropped the satellite and (except for NESN) not missing it.  Read the advice about digital antennas for OTA reception and, guess what, my good ole antenna from 20 years ago works just fine.  PBS has good cooking shows on its Create channel!  Who woulda thunk it?  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arlington park. Show arlington park's posts

Cut the cable two years ago and love it.  We're watching a lot less TV which is an added benefit with a three year old so that he won't get caught up with bad habits.  Miss the sports but generally go to a bar, have a few beers and can enjoy a match that I really want to see instead of watching something just because it's on.

$80 one-time purchase of two Winegard HD antennas

$50 per month for 15/5 broadband FIOS, although now $57/month.

$8/month for Netflix.

No extra taxes, no extra set-top box and other miscellaneous fees.  Saving ~$90/month.  May be able to increase that to ~$100/month after shopping around for new broadband service.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LisaMS. Show LisaMS's posts

Have not cut the cable tv cord yet.  This is because ESPN/NESN are the biggest stations I watch, and I am not sure how else to access it.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jehb. Show jehb's posts

In response to suey63's comment:

I cut the cord about 3 months ago and have no regrets. I'm saving over $100/month and I only had basic cable (no hbo etc). I now feel I watch better and more content than I did before. Also, my picture quality improved drastically without cable which really annoyed me thinking I was paying all that money for sub par picture quality. But I've moved on :)

1. Aereo for my antenna for local stations. Traditional antennas didn't work for my in my condo with cement walls. I also love the DVR feature.
    2. Two Roku boxes (Roku 1 for Living Room (wish I got the Roku 3) and Roku LT for bedroom). Roku has so many channels you will always find things to watch.
    3. I already had Netflix so there was no additional cost there.

My add Hulu Plus and/or Amazon Prime in the future.

My only issue was NESN. I'm a very big Sox fan. So, I got my mother a Slingbox which she uses 3x/day to watch TV on her iMac in her kitchen but I will connect to it for Sox games. 

I noticed my Apple TV has an MLB app.  I don't know much about it, but can you watch Sox games on that?  Might be worth checking out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEBSTERHOME. Show WEBSTERHOME's posts

Cut my cable years ago and we get all kinds of channels! Very happy.

n response to ponytail's comment:

Cut cable about 2 years ago. First got an HD antenna to see how many over air signals I got clearly. Won an appleTV on a raffle and subscribed to Netflix on my TIVO. The neat thing is that given HD allows multiple streams per channel, I get more channels withonnut cable than with cable. For example, channel 44 has 5 streams whereas cable will only forward the main stream. Save $100+ per month and get better content. As the article says, most shows are available on other services (paid and free) anyhow. I would recommend it to anyone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to jwallask's comment:

With the exception of the sting of losing NESN, cutting the cord was a no-brainer for me!

Living exactly halfway between Boston and Providence, I get a plethora of digital OTA (over-the-air) channels! Most in glorious HD without the compression essential for the cable companies to bundle all those other services in!

…phone, Internet and TV all on one wire?? Something’s gotta give!!  Wink

In fact, the HD picture on my 50" plasma is much better OTA than via cable!

Also, the sub-channels available are a hoot! Classic movies, classic TV shows (Lost in Space, anyone?), MTV-like (think circa 1980s style) music channels, etc.... All for FREE!!

My solution included an Antennas Direct DB4e antenna on the roof, and my plasma’s built-in HDTV receiver. Coupled with my laptop’s built-in true HD output and my Internet Wi-Fi, I can stream and download just about anything else I need to watch!

BTW, I too bought my Internet modem instead of paying $7/month to the cable company…..

I went from around $200/month to watch 2 channels (NBC & NESN) via cable to $30/month for just the high-speed Internet access to stream!

Take that, cable company!!  Cool

Question: Where are you getting broadband access for $30?  I thnk Comcast is $60 or more for just Internet service.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifetraveller2. Show lifetraveller2's posts

Why is BDC such a huge fail as a website?
    Why are none of the problems fixed?

The new design is in a word - bad - and does not work.

People are complaining. Yet, no one at BDC answers the complaints. They keep shoveling out the same non-working website.

What is really going on there? Seriously. How come visitors to the website ask questions and get NO answers and the website continues - since April 15th - to have many serious navigation problems and a completely unprofessional presentation.

BDC is an embarrassment.

Sections
Shortcuts