What is your favorite grocery store?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shreddnyogi. Show shreddnyogi's posts

Re: What is your favorite grocery store?

In Response to What is your favorite grocery store?:
    [QUOTE]I have to admit, I'm a big Publix fan from when I lived in Florida. Trader Joe's was fun, and I'm excited for the Wegmans "experience." But nothing compares to the selection and cleanliness of a Publix in my humble opinion.  What is your favorite grocery store? Why?  Check out rankings by Consumer Reports.
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack[/QUOTE]

I agree!
    I am from N.E., but often am in Fla. to visit my parents, and found that Publix has a very good selection and good prices as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainHook978. Show CaptainHook978's posts

Markey Basket by a mile.  I remember going in to the Stop and Shop in Methuen, seeing a package of hot dogs marked A DOLLAR MORE than the Market Basket 100 yards away, and mentioned it to the section manager.  His response?  Shoulder shrug.
    Great values, and they are moderning a lot of their stores with convenience areas... gotta love em

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Historygirl. Show Historygirl's posts

Shaw's Supermarket is my favorite, because you can't beat the prices and the good sales on items such as their meats and so forth.  Roche Bros's meats are too high priced.  Store is dark inside and things are hard to locate in there.Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Historygirl. Show Historygirl's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite grocery store?:
    [QUOTE]I shop at Shaw's because there are no crowds and no lines.   hmmmmmmm
    Posted by downtoearth[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Historygirl. Show Historygirl's posts

[QUOTE]I shop at Shaw's because there are no crowds and no lines.   hmmmmmmm
    Posted by downtoearth[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I really like this store above all others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

Costco and Trader Joe's don't even belong in this discussion--good to great for what they do, but they're hardly full spectrum supermarkets.  Shop in both, and BJs too, for some stuff, but Market Basket for the great majority of stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr944. Show Mr944's posts

Market Basket. Simple reason: best value. Who cares about the lighting and hardwood floors. A bag of potatoes is a bag of potatoes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MdwyM. Show MdwyM's posts

You can't beat Market Basket/DeMoulas for price, but it is a madhouse during peak hours.  If I can do my shopping on Friday or Saturday nights (I know how to party), I am at MB.  If not, Hannaford's is a good middle ground with better prices than Stop & Shop and no crazy crowds.

The one feature I love from Stop and Shop is the deli kiosk.  Type in your order, do your shopping, and pick it up on the way out.  Haven't seen this anywhere else in my area, but hopefully this feature will be picked up by others.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan823. Show soxfan823's posts

Uck, I absolutely despise Market Basket. I just feel dirty walking into that store! And every time I've been the place is swarming with customers, who apparently don't understand the words excuse me as they splay themselves across the aisles. It's just not worth the hassles. On top of that, their sale prices are usually the same as Shaw's, and they don't double coupons, so it's not the best store for me.

I'd love it if Whole Foods was close enough for me to visit occassionally, but they're too far away, and I couldn't afford to shop there all the time anyway. I usually find the best deals at Shaw's, and occasionally go to Stop and Shop when they're having a really good sale. I usually spend under $250/month on groceries for me and my husband (and we buy mostly fresh produce and meat and less of the pre-packaged food), so I'm not sure how everyone thinks Shaw's is so expensive. Just gotta shop the sales and coupon! 

I also pick up a lot of fruits and veggies at the farmer's markets over the summer. Way better quality than the grocery stores.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevef. Show stevef's posts

@HistoryGirl must work for shaws, or be comparing prices with cardullos or something. Agree with posters on Market Basket, except their produce tends to be life expired - russos all the way there. God knows why the globe describes Wegmans as having a "heavy" presence - they have one store in the whole of New England. Prices were comparable to MB when I shopped at Northboro, but that was in the early days, so perhaps that is over.
    Can I also give a shout out to hands down the *worst* - even worse than Shaws. Johnnies Foodmaster. Yuck - what a dump their stores are, and the prices are a joke unless you want a few tons of meat with large amounts of hanging fat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Most of these stores are not in the local boston area, but dollar for dollar has to be Market Basket.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

There's an obvious reason there are few lines or crowds at Shaw's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lincoln678. Show lincoln678's posts

Hannafords is nice; good prices and clean.  Roche Bros is pricier but the produce is better.  Both have pleasant and friendly staff.  I get most of my produce at The Fruit Center- can't beat the quality.  Whole Foods if I have to but the prices are insane and not worth it for most items, IMHO.  Trader Joes is great for some things like tea and cereal but not enough to do all of my shopping there,
    There are no Market Baskets in my area- I guess that I am missing out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

[QUOTE]Uck, I absolutely despise Market Basket. I just feel dirty walking into that store! And every time I've been the place is swarming with customers, who apparently don't understand the words excuse me as they splay themselves across the aisles. It's just not worth the hassles. On top of that, their sale prices are usually the same as Shaw's, and they don't double coupons, so it's not the best store for me. I'd love it if Whole Foods was close enough for me to visit occassionally, but they're too far away, and I couldn't afford to shop there all the time anyway. I usually find the best deals at Shaw's, and occasionally go to Stop and Shop when they're having a really good sale. I usually spend under $250/month on groceries for me and my husband (and we buy mostly fresh produce and meat and less of the pre-packaged food), so I'm not sure how everyone thinks Shaw's is so expensive. Just gotta shop the sales and coupon!  I also pick up a lot of fruits and veggies at the farmer's markets over the summer. Way better quality than the grocery stores.
    Posted by soxfan823[/QUOTE]

With ya. MB is like being in the nether regions of the Blue Line. Between WF and SS (where I use my SS card to save $ and also get gas miles), things work out. Occasionally make myself go to TJ, but the staff there always seems like deinstituionalized smart people. Publix IS a very good store, but we don't have them here.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elaine17. Show Elaine17's posts

Roach Bros.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LooReader. Show LooReader's posts

Market Basket for prices and variety -- however, hard to find an English-speaking employee in the aisles in Burlington if you need help finding something. Not surprised Shaw's didn't do well. Items such as cereal are almost twice the price as MB. However, for meat I'll go to a local butcher or Whole Foods and for fruit I'll go to a local farm/market or Whole Foods.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ribs0712. Show Ribs0712's posts

Another Market Basket fan, as some have said the isles are often clogged (hmm why might that be).  Only drawback is their isles are too narrow, often just barely squeeze 2 carriages past each other; the other stores do give you more room but it isn't worth prices the are 25-30% more.  As to produce spoiling faster, might be because they don't all have the heavy wax coating many of the other big chains have.  Price wise their is absolutely no comparison.

Can't beat McKinnons (Somerville) for meats however.
    WF and TJ are both overpriced. Sure they have some specialty items that are good but only for the occassional stock up.
    Looking forward to Wegmans just to see what they offer

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Balrog49. Show Balrog49's posts

Hannaford's prices are a bit higher than the others and the checkout staff spends too much time talking to each other than paying attention to their jobs. But I go there because I don't have to check the expiration date on every item, as I do at Market Basket. I've gotten too many items from MB that expire the same or the following day. Hannaford is clean, well lighted, and well stocked. The rotisserie chickens are excellent, as are the house brands. Customers are well behaved, employees are friendly, and cart return areas are never too far away. And they respond to requests for new items.

My second choice is Shaws but they're a much longer drive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrsl1944. Show mrsl1944's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is your favorite grocery store? : With ya. MB is like being in the nether regions of the Blue Line. Between WF and SS (where I use my SS card to save $ and also get gas miles), things work out. Occasionally make myself go to TJ, but the staff there always seems like deinstituionalized smart people. Publix IS a very good store, but we don't have them here.
    Posted by AguaCaliente[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never been to the Market Basket in Middleton.  Not too much riff raff living in this area.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Market Basket by a lot. Their prices are almost always a lot less than anyone else's. Their staff is so much more knowledgable and pleasant than Stop & Shop's or Shaw's. They have a huge selection of produce and meats that most stores can't compare with. The turnover of most things is very fast so their fish is better than Whole Foods, their non-organic produce is better than anyone's and they have so many different ethnic foods that no one has. When I want certain things, like organic produce or grass fed beef, I go to WF. Trader Joe's for canned and dry foods sometimes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cage. Show Cage's posts

Market Basket hands down the best !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamarchant. Show jamarchant's posts

Market Basket by a mile. Wegmans is just as expensive as Stop & Shop. Even their own brand names.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwoodheywood. Show jwoodheywood's posts

This isn't even a discussion, Market Basket by far. They don't spend silly $ on advertising and let's face it, they don't have to. Their prices are all the advertising they need. I only wish they had more of them. Love the 1970's decor too. Reminds me of the old Big D stores from back in the day. Roche Bros. is nice if you like nice decor, nice store, but prices are at a huge premium.  

Sections
Shortcuts