What is your favorite grocery store?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dewars. Show dewars's posts

Re: What is your favorite grocery store?

I will never enter a Trader Joe's again.  On two different occasions I purchased a frozen pizza and a jar of apple butter.  When I opened them at home each one had mold growing inside.  I have no faith in their quality and refuse to shop there!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite grocery store?:
    There's an obvious reason there are few lines or crowds at Shaw's
    Posted by my10sense2

that was my point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sceesic. Show sceesic's posts

Market Basket - hands down. Trader Joes for specialty items. Whole Foods? Don't forget to take a loan out - overpriced, overhyped yuppie store.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LooReader. Show LooReader's posts

I will never enter a Trader Joe's again.  On two different occasions I purchased a frozen pizza and a jar of apple butter.  When I opened them at home each one had mold growing inside.  I have no faith in their quality and refuse to shop there!!
    Posted by dewars

I've had that happen twice there too, at the Newton store. I had bought an apple pie and another baked good -- both moldy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from REKen. Show REKen's posts

As of right now, my favorite is actually a tie between Hannaford and Wegmans.  I love Hannaford Supermarkets for day-in and day-out shopping.  Pricing is consistent, product are nearly always in stock (basics) and the produce is excellent.  

Wegman's stores are unbelievable.  Very high quality and extremely knowledgeable staff in every department.  They tend to be a bit on the large size, so you need to go in with a plan.  And Wegman's prepared food & buffet offerings are amazing.  I can't wait to see them open in Burlington and Chestnut Hill.

Shaw's is the absolute worst on the list.  Filthy, depressing, apathetic store clerks, and the most putrid color schemes that beckon shoppers to 'leave now!'  Once Save-Mor purchased Shaws/Star markets, it was only a matter of time before the death spiral took hold. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigredinmass. Show bigredinmass's posts

Well I shop at Roche bros in West Roxbury because it is closest to me.  But can't say I am impressed.  I find their customer service pretty lacking - especially compared to Publix (I grew up in Florida), and especially for their markup.  Other Roche Brothers are better - but seems in West Roxbury they feel they are the only game in town and less accountable. 

I also find their pre cooked items uninspiring.  Same thing every week and after a year or more it all gets boring. 

I could go to Whole Foods at Legacy Place but that parking lot is too much of a zoo to deal with just to get weekly groceries.  The Shaws on Centre looks gross.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SnarkFish. Show SnarkFish's posts

Wegman's is an amazing store (at least the one in Rochester NY is), but driving over an hour from the South Shore to Northboro is more than I want to do for grocery shopping.  I love Roche Bros., despite the name; and their home delivery is second to none.  Just love produce that looks as if I spent an hour searching for it. They also price their home delivery the same as going to the store, plus a $10 delivery charge.  My time and energy are worth $10.

Shaws is closest to me, but they are the most handicapped unfriendly store on Earth.  They used to keep their handicapped carts and wheelchairs at the back of the store, and one had to wait in line at their "service desk" to get a key.  Really helpful procedure for people who can't walk.  Now the carts are in the front of the store where they are used as seats by the employees and customers who didn't get a seat at the single bench in the cart area. Heaven forbid anyone would plug in a cart to charge it - after the third time that the cart ran out of juice in the middle of an aisle and a store employee suggested "I bring it back," I realized that their handicapped hostility is store policy. Perhaps if they had full-time, adult, well informed employees, the store would be acceptable. But they'd rather snicker when the disabled person is stranded with a cart full of food than train their employees. So, I'll take my money and head elsewhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DONNAMOMOF7. Show DONNAMOMOF7's posts

market basket will always be my choice.  I raised 7 kids and nothing could even come close to the savings i got at MB.  I would not go to the Chelsea one for years...drove to Swampscott because the store was cleaner...but when the new one was built....I never have to worry....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from babaoredsox. Show babaoredsox's posts

Hands down it's Market Basket. It is a pain to deal with the lines and sheer volume of people, but the prices are the best. Stop and Shop is a rip off, so is Shaw's. Hannaford's is decent, but not super convenient to where I live.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raun6. Show Raun6's posts

Market Basket - Oxford MA

New store - fully stocked - excellent prices - wide isles - every register open and a ton of registers - always stocking the shelves - clean & excellent staff in every department.  We save on average $65.00/per week buying the same groceries and more than when we shopped the Shaw's in Whitinsville.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HalfFast. Show HalfFast's posts

This was an irresponsible piece of reporting. Hardly anything was mentioned of Demoulas' Market Basket who was rated the 7th BEST store in the country. The 7th BEST!! That's a pretty remarkable achievement given there are thousands of chains but you'd never know it by reading this article. There are only a handful of Wegmans, and a few Trader Joes and Costco's in the region but there lots of Market Baskets so you did the Globe readers a disservice by not highlighting them. (I just googled MB and they are a $3 billion + company based out of Tewksbury with 65+ stores in NH and MA). We shop them often and they are definately competively priced and even beat WalMart at times. The new stores are pretty nice looking and have a lot of cooked food for take-out. My one pet peeve I have with them is the only garlic they sell in the store I shop is from China. You mean to tell me there isn't a good garlic available from the USA? Gilroy, CA is the garlic capital of the world but MB only sells Chinese garlic - go figure. They do have a great selection of olive oils and their private label olive oil from Greece is outstanding and well-priced. Good stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashmama. Show ashmama's posts

Whole Foods for organic produce; Market Basket for everything else--great selection, fair prices and no loyalty cards required. Also love H-Mart in Burlington for their excellent seafood.

And I can't believe Stop and Shop didn't make the 5 worst list. The one in Lexington is the pits. Rude cashiers, lousy produce, outrageous prices, poor selection, and the fact that you have to have one of their stupid loyalty cards to avoid getting ripped off. What's not to hate about that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCFP. Show SCFP's posts

A lot of generalizations in the above posts – some probably pretty accurate, others not-so-much.

Aside from the PRICES (which of course, impact just what you'll buy regularly, at any given chain . . .) a huge determinant in what your “shopping experience” will be in ANY of the vendor grocery chains, lies in the Manager/Store Director of the particular store: his or her management style, value set, and attitudes toward both his customers and his employees – these things make a huge difference in just how successful a particular store is likely to be. Take Market Basket as an example: although there is one MB very close to where I live (and we do a LOT of shopping there, at least for 'general grocery items' - which MB consistently sells for a good deal less than it's competition), I've shopped at 4 or 5 other MB's in Eastern MA, all on multiple occasions, and if you asked ME to rate each one – individually – on a scale of “1 to 10”, I'd have to give each one a different score, based largely on the combination of “non-price based” negative issues {cluttered aisles, cleanliness, freshness of produce, etc.} many of the posters have sighted above when mentioning Market Basket – and THESE are factors in which Manager/Store Director can address & improve upon - - - IF he or she truly wants to.

Two other comments:

Some of the posters cited Trader Joe's as being too small and/or not having the full venue of products which the other chains do; I believe that MANY of the TJ's in other states are MUCH larger and closer to a full-sized grocery store, such as we see with Shaw's, Stop & Shop, Market Basket, etc., than the “postage stamp-sized” ones we have here in MA – just Google TJ's and choose Images and you'll get an eye-opener if you think they're all as small as the Cambridge TJ's, for example.

Finally, NO ONE mentioned ALDI. Granted, there are only 8 or 9 of them in Massachusetts [the nearest one to where I live is in Milford], they are only a “medium-sized store” based chain, and probably 95% of what they carry is their own brand-line(s), but the QUALITY of virtually anything I've ever bought there has been excellent, and their PRICES usually beat Market Basket for comparable items – and that's saying something, as MB's is most often much lower than any of the other chains around this area. If there's an ALDI near where you are, I'd give it a try.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beep600. Show Beep600's posts

I think only One person mentioned the great fish at Market Basket. That cannot be stressed enough! Their fish (all varieties) are the BEST of any supermarket, and rival many so-called fresh-fish markets.  Better than "Foleys" "Capt Mardens" and a host of other real-sounding trade names used by various chains.
    One other thing, for those who cite the MB crowds - busy markets are busy because they are GOOD and they offer VALUE!

And another thing -- Globe, get over the Wegms love affair - and their intense PR campaigns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichNBoston. Show RichNBoston's posts

Market Basket is the best. The prices are the lowest and the variety is great. They have the freshest produce, fish and meats. I have been shopping at MB for a long time and only go to the other markets for big sale items.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from philw1776. Show philw1776's posts

Publix when in FL.  Clean, well organized and good selections of fruit products.

Market Basket in NE, friendly, helpful staff with low prices.

Stuck with Shaw's on the Cape.  Unhelpful, unavailable staff.  High prices.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teachersboth. Show Teachersboth's posts

the best grocery stores are the ones where the moochers don't shop and use their welfare cards to stick the taxpayers with the bill.
    Posted by Homer5

May you never need one of those cards!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teachersboth. Show Teachersboth's posts

Hannafords is nice; good prices and clean.  Roche Bros is pricier but the produce is better.  Both have pleasant and friendly staff.  I get most of my produce at The Fruit Center- can't beat the quality.  Whole Foods if I have to but the prices are insane and not worth it for most items, IMHO.  Trader Joes is great for some things like tea and cereal but not enough to do all of my shopping there, There are no Market Baskets in my area- I guess that I am missing out.
    Posted by lincoln678

Do go find one!  You will love it.  We drive 45 mins. to shop at one and still save money, even factoring in the cost of gas!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacobBigelow. Show JacobBigelow's posts

Wegman's
    Center of the universe, trust me

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TedysDad. Show TedysDad's posts

We have short memories around here. All the MB groupies forget about the DeMoulas family's nasty litigation with each other, the phony job interviews that got the former head of the Judicial Nomination Committee disbarred,siccing detectives on a MA judge, really slimy stuff. Meanwhile, we feel good about ourselves for not patronizing the similar creeps at Upper Crust Pizza.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from meyer. Show meyer's posts

Fo special items, Whole foods....but for everyday things Market Basket. Right now I have to travel to a Market Basket but in the summer Brockton's Westgate Mall will have a new Market Basket opening. I cannot wait.

Sections
Shortcuts