What is your favorite grocery store?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JC126. Show JC126's posts

Re: What is your favorite grocery store?

In Response to Re: What is your favorite grocery store?:
    [QUOTE]Could Shaw's and Johnny's Foodmaster just close and be replaced by something at least halfway decent?
    Posted by SophmoreCamelCharlestown[/QUOTE]

Johnny's is absolutely gross. I now boycott Shaw's for assorted reasons. They are both criminally overpriced. Johnny's is like something out of another decade. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from henhill. Show henhill's posts

I have shopped at Market Basket for a long while, but I think its important to know that they pay their help subsistance wages and often hire all part-timers.  Stop and SHop pays their workforce better and I suspect some of the other markets do likewise.  It's unconscionable that Demoulas can be that flush with cash and pay their workers like slaves.  I'm off them, lately.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamstalker. Show Dreamstalker's posts

I have to go with Stop & Shop for everyday shopping; Whole Foods is nice, but too expensive for anything other than the really niche items.  There's a S&S almost right across the street from our apartment, and the store is managed and laid out very well.  The meat department is amazing and we've gotten some inexpensive but very tasty steaks and fish there.

You don't 'need' the store card to get the sale prices; if a cashier asks and you say you don't have one they should scan a store card for you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Can't beat the prices at Market Basket.  I truly feel their prices are about 1/3 cheaper than S+S or Star.

But I heart Wagon Wheel on Waltham/Lexington line for produce.   Just can't take the claustrophobia I get at Russos.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortguy. Show fortguy's posts

shaws is such an amateur operation...surrounded by them 
    in here near route 24....wish they would just go away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottyDH. Show ScottyDH's posts

Market Basket may have some good prices but not on everything. One thing they win in the hands down category is rudest shoppers. I once had a crazy old lady drop the f bomb on me when she backed into my cart. It was while I was shopping with my 3 year old. She had spent about 10 minutes analyzing a can of tuna, clogging the aisle, and when I finally broke to try and get by she backed into my cart and went ballistic. Not really what you expect from granny!! Maybe if I had a lifetime supply of Xanax I'd go back one day but until then no way. I do fine with stop and shop for most things with occasional trips to trader joes or other specialty stores. Agree that it seems completely impossible that Shaw's is still around...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSageLtCmdrTuvok. Show TheSageLtCmdrTuvok's posts

If you want to pay $80 for two light bags of food, you shop at Stop & Shop.

If you want to pay $50 for more bags of food than you can carry, you shop at Market Basket!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from buddy40. Show buddy40's posts

Market Basket by a mile for price and by 7/8s of a mile for quality.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beep600. Show Beep600's posts

What? The Globe is re-surfacing this story again??  
    Guess you got another visit and free dinner from wegmns PR department.  
    Get over the wegmns thing and move on to fresh consumer material!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL5000. Show AL5000's posts

Interesting you refer to Wegman's as having a "heavy New England presence".  They have exactly ONE store in all of New England.  I smell a rat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emontibello. Show emontibello's posts

Love Market Basket - their newer stores have a hot foods section, bakery, higher end meats, and great seafood.  I have rarely had an issue with fruits or veggies. I love their organic food section too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macccape. Show macccape's posts

A bit more expensive on some national brands and cold cuts, but hands down for me is Roche Bros. Quality of the meat and fish is unbeatable for the price. (Pay less at other markets, but the quality is not nearly as good.)  Better fish can only be found in a fish market at much higher prices.  They stock more varieties of ice cream than the other chains and lots of New England-made products.  The sales are fantastic.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Virulina. Show Virulina's posts

So lucky that we can choose.

I can't say I have loyalty to one store brand. I do think Publix is the best big name chain in Florida, and consistently good across stores. Whole Foods is great for a select set of items...and not necessarily high priced items. Can't wait for Wegman's to come to Boston.

Surprised Walmart did so poorly...there is a massive Walmart in Secausus, NJ with a grocery section as big as my nearest Stop & Shop...it is spacious, clean, and has a huge selection of produce, groceries, etc., that are same quality as any other major chain.

For grocery groceries like produce, milk, bread, I hit the neighborhood Super Stop & Shop, there's no Market Basket near me, and usually the well-priced chain is packed from parking lot to checkout...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tysondog. Show tysondog's posts

Market Basket hands down!  The new one in West Bridgewater has wide isles and a very good selection...especially their ready made foods!  Shaws is just way to expensive, but I do find that Roche Brothers has some good weekly deals, especially the 5 for $25 meats.  Stop and Shop at first seems to have good deals, but than you realize that the coupons are only good if you spend $25, which will not encourage me to go to the store.   

As for the list that the Glob posted...most of these stores not only are not in Massachusetts, but a couple I have never heard of!  Should be a list composed through a survey taken by shoppers in Massachusetts!!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zakmio. Show Zakmio's posts

I think that it depends on what you buy from a store. Trader Joes has been my go-to store for over 10 years now because they have the best prices for organic dairy and produce.  They also have a good selection of no hormone, no antibiotic meat.  They have great frozen food that is pretty healthy and I love all of their fun and unique products as well.  I can buy pretty much everything that my family needs there.  Certain things like dried beans, they don't have but I don't mind running to Stop and Shop for that.  

I used to shop at Market Basket when I live right near the one in Somerville.  The prices are definitely the best, but their product selection is not great, especially organic/no-hormone or antiobiotic meat and dairy.  And forget the parking lot and crowds.  

I really do think that it depends on what you buy and what aspects of a store you rank as important. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from frteach. Show frteach's posts

Market Basket! Just wish there were more of them!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebor33. Show trebor33's posts

In response to JacobBigelow's comment:
    [QUOTE]Wegman's
    Center of the universe, trust me[/QUOTE]

Amen! So excited to see them in Massachusetts, desperately hoping they will open a location close to where I live.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_471058. Show user_471058's posts

Wegman's !

Sections
Shortcuts