What is your favorite grocery store?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wxgeek. Show wxgeek's posts

Re: What is your favorite grocery store?

Hand's down Wegmans and I have missed shoppign there, so I can't wait till it opens in Burlington MA this spring!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nelliebelle. Show nelliebelle's posts

Market Basket is the runaway favorite for me.  Trader Joe's is also fantastic.  These are just not as convenient for me but I go out of my way to shop at them because the price and quality are top notch.

Stop and Shop could really learn a lot from them.  I absolutely refuse to shop at Stop and Shop any more - the prices are outrageous and the quality is deplorable.  Brown or moldy produce, meat that spoils within a few days of purchase, self service registers that don't work.  Thanks, but I'll pass on Stop and Shop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gunner62. Show Gunner62's posts

No question, Market Basket.  The price difference is huge when compared to others.  We have a Stop & Shop and a Hannaford in our town as well and I can't understand how they stay in business.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from v057296. Show v057296's posts

Market Basket, TJ's, Roache Bros,  and Whole Foods.

Worst by a country mile is stop and shop..  Terrible produce, fish and meat departments. 

Self check-out---Sucks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Star512. Show Star512's posts

Roche Brothers in Wellesley. Their kitchen is great. A little pricey, but clean, good quality, and customer service. They carry my bags to the car!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Star512. Show Star512's posts

In response to soxfan823's comment:

Uck, I absolutely despise Market Basket. I just feel dirty walking into that store! And every time I've been the place is swarming with customers, who apparently don't understand the words excuse me as they splay themselves across the aisles. It's just not worth the hassles. On top of that, their sale prices are usually the same as Shaw's, and they don't double coupons, so it's not the best store for me.

I'd love it if Whole Foods was close enough for me to visit occassionally, but they're too far away, and I couldn't afford to shop there all the time anyway. I usually find the best deals at Shaw's, and occasionally go to Stop and Shop when they're having a really good sale. I usually spend under $250/month on groceries for me and my husband (and we buy mostly fresh produce and meat and less of the pre-packaged food), so I'm not sure how everyone thinks Shaw's is so expensive. Just gotta shop the sales and coupon!    I also pick up a lot of fruits and veggies at the farmer's markets over the summer. Way better quality than the grocery stores.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JonnyD. Show JonnyD's posts

My family will always prefer to go to Hannafords, even though it is out of the way, the service and selection there is top notch. Their prices are good, not quite as cheap as market basket but the produce is a much higher quality! Definitely cheaper than S&S and Shaws and their name brand products are very good. The staff is friendly and engaging and they really get to know you and your family.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Star512. Show Star512's posts

In response to AguaCaliente's comment:

In Response to Re: What is your favorite grocery store?:
    Uck, I absolutely despise Market Basket. I just feel dirty walking into that store! And every time I've been the place is swarming with customers, who apparently don't understand the words excuse me as they splay themselves across the aisles. It's just not worth the hassles. On top of that, their sale prices are usually the same as Shaw's, and they don't double coupons, so it's not the best store for me. I'd love it if Whole Foods was close enough for me to visit occassionally, but they're too far away, and I couldn't afford to shop there all the time anyway. I usually find the best deals at Shaw's, and occasionally go to Stop and Shop when they're having a really good sale. I usually spend under $250/month on groceries for me and my husband (and we buy mostly fresh produce and meat and less of the pre-packaged food), so I'm not sure how everyone thinks Shaw's is so expensive. Just gotta shop the sales and coupon!  I also pick up a lot of fruits and veggies at the farmer's markets over the summer. Way better quality than the grocery stores.
    Posted by soxfan823

With ya. MB is like being in the nether regions of the Blue Line. Between WF and SS (where I use my SS card to save $ and also get gas miles), things work out. Occasionally make myself go to TJ, but the staff there always seems like deinstituionalized smart people. Publix IS a very good store, but we don't have them here.

I agree. I've never been in a clean one. Watch the weights on packaged produce! They're never what they say they are. Have brought it to the attention on clerks and manager, but no satisfaction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftOut. Show LeftOut's posts

We have Shaws, Hannaford, Stop&Shop, Trader Joe's and multiple Market Basket's available.  For Price on same items, Market Basket wins hands down.  Compare MB house brand cereals to Hannaford's, (Special K, Honey Bunches of Oats, Life, Mini Wheat clones) same vendor, and MB almost always cheaper.  All but (not so) Tasteeos have been pretty good.

Only dig:  Market Basket produce on weekends especially, you end up with empty or only damaged/wilted produce left at the end of the day.  I think the other chains are more careful about what goes out for display. 

In the bigger stores, Market's Kitchen gives you amazing cold subs with 2-3 times the meat and cheese of a comparable length Subway sub for same price. 

No, MB isn't fancy, and you may not get all of the upscale stuff you want.  Organic section a bit smaller.   But, they seem to keep their people around.  The adult staff seems pretty steady, which speaks to how they are treated/pay/benefits versus other stores. 

Specialty items I get at Trader Joes, and occasionally Shaws.  Stop & Shop became less convenient since they moved the Chelmsford store and closed the Hudson, NH store.  Hannaford is just too expensive. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeremyJacobsSucks. Show JeremyJacobsSucks's posts

The MARKET at the Pinehills..........best deli and butcher shop which is not independently operated. Smaller size may not offer everyones desired selections, but in terms of quality none of the others compare in my experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56lanegal. Show 56lanegal's posts

Whole Foods for some items, even though the closest one to us is 75 miles away, it's worth the drive.  MarketBasket is amazing, and we are so happy that they now have a market on Cape Cod!  They are our regular place to shop and the prices are the best around, with great selections overall.  Also the MB brand products are excellent.  Far better prices that either Stop & Shop and Shaws and very helpful staff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4467591. Show user_4467591's posts

Market Basket, followed by Trader Joes, followed by Whole Foods.

Stop-and-Shop is way overpriced, and Shaws just isn't conveniently located.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sean-in-West-Roxbury. Show Sean-in-West-Roxbury's posts

Roche Brothers probably has (for our location) the best overall experience because it's selection  and prices are decent, and you can get most of what you want in one place. But, most of the time we use a mix of Costco, Whole Foods and Stop & Shop (since all three are within a mile of each other in Dedham).

Costco for the bulk staples (when they have what you want & it'll keep)

Stop & Shop for non-Costco staples.

Whole Foods for meat and produce (because no one beats the quality and selection of their organic produce, and they have some reasonable deals on nice cuts of meat). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmm081135. Show jmm081135's posts

Dave's Marketplace stores are the best for meats, produce,

bakery and excellent personnel. Sorry, they are only in

Rhode Island though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mdunlap. Show mdunlap's posts

I am an Aldi convert.  I was paying between $100-130 for two people at Stop & Shop, but now I'm paying $65-85.  The quality of the food is at par with the name brands, I actually like bagging my own groceries since I sort them for easier putting away, and I always have a quarter for the carts.  This is done all over the world and people actually put their own carts away to get their quarter back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMc311. Show KMc311's posts

Market Basket should be the definition of grocery store.  I'm not just saying that because I worked there for 12 years either.  I've been inside every grocery chain in New England, and now living in So. Illinois, I've had the honor of shopping at chains like Kroger, Schnuck's, Aldi, and IGA.  I've also visited other large stores like Food Lion, Giant, and Publix.  Market Basket may not win any cleanliness awards (I always hated the overuse of sawdust), but their product is of higher quality (especially in the meat and produce depts.) and their prices are lower.  Most importantly, the MB staff sets the bar in terms of customer service.  There is no contest here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilUp. Show PhilUp's posts

captain turnips grocery island since its sooo clean.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyf. Show mannyf's posts

The new Market Basket stores are awesome. Even the fruit and produce are as good as anything out there. This is New England people. There's no such thing as fresh produce and fruit no matter where you go. Everthing has to come from very far away. MB also has the best variety of International foods. None of the other chains even come close to it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from racaron. Show racaron's posts

Why wasn't Wegmans in this article?  Didn't they take top place in Consumer Reports?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2694396. Show user_2694396's posts

Market Basket is absolutely the best!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elf63. Show elf63's posts

Market Basket - surprised it's even a question at this point. Great prices, helpful staff, beautiful bakery and on and on

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tony91. Show Tony91's posts

Whole Foods is my go to store for meats, fish, produce, cheeses, fresh squeezed juices, prepared meals to go, and baked goods.  I'm willing to pay extra for quality foods that I can trust to be fresh and there are lots of organic choices.  Trader Joe's is also great for specialty items like nuts, honey, trail mix, ice cream, appetizers, and frozen meals to take to work.  I use Stop & Shop for canned tomatoes and staples like flour, sugar, etc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from samoy2e. Show samoy2e's posts

stop and shop and they have good quality and we have good service and so come down to the stop and shop in saugus and we will take good care of you.  love, pam

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DottyAnn. Show DottyAnn's posts

I love Roche Brothers, but I can only afford Trader Joe's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeoffRD. Show GeoffRD's posts

In response to Beep600's comment:

Market Basket, by a country mile. Great prices, experienced helpful staff.
    The Globe article skews the CR study, because Wegms has only one store in the state, so why promote it? Strip away all the ones that we don't have here (and the Wegms PR), and Market Basket looks very good among the ones we have access to. 

Market Basket clearly has the best prices in eastern New England.   They're ruthless about carrying inventory that doesn't sell quickly so they have limited selection on a lot of items.   There is also a big dropoff in selection between their "A" stores in affluent areas and their "B" stores.   Understandable but you have to be aware if you're shopping in an "A" store or not.   I have a lot of exposure to Wegmans from business travel.   I welcome their arrival but I'd still do my bulk shopping at Market Basket.

Sections
Shortcuts