What's your favorite way to get to New York City?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rethcir. Show rethcir's posts

Re: What's your favorite way to get to New York City?

Bolt Bus is pretty sweet. Cleaner than any greyhound or T bus I've been on and very affordable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from numom45. Show numom45's posts

Best way to New York City - the AMTRAK Acela Train!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from archer823. Show archer823's posts

[QUOTE]By bus, train, or plane? Let us know.
    Posted by BDCTravelStaff[/QUOTE]

As someone who was raised in NYC, this may sound strange to some, but I would take my own car.  Unless I'm staying within Manhattan itself (which is rarely the case), the cheapest way to travel for me always works out to be my own car.  Conservatively I get around 25 MPH (in reality it's more like 30), it's 400 miles round trip, gas being $2.25, that works out to $36.00.  Tolls round trip work out to say around $15 (11 bucks for the bridges which are going up in NYC, say 4 bucks for the pike round trip) round trip.  So that's $51 total, for a car that can seat up to 4 people comfortably with door to door service where ever I'm going.  Most of the time I drive with at least one or more persons, but let's say only 2 people are in the car, that's $25.00 per head.  I can stop anytime, take a break, grab some food along the way, etc. etc.  I can also just go as fast as I can if I have too.  Average time door to door is just over 3 hours, at most 4.  

On the other hand say I'm to take the bus this weekend, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday.  The average ticket price is hovering around $15 to $20 dollars.  That's $30 per head.  Sure if you travel at certain times or buy your ticket way in advance, it gets down to $1.00 plus fees.  So that's a great deal to travel from Boston to NYC roundtrip for around $3.00.  But I don't live in Boston, I gotta take the commuter rail in South Station, I live in Zone 4 of the commuter rail, that's $11.50 right there for a system that barely runs the times I'd like to take it anbyway.   And again I'm not staying in Manhattan, so the subway is gonna cost $4.50 come the end of June round trip and if I have to go to Jersey, Long Island, back up north to Westchester, I've got to take the commuter rail which are going up 5% - 10% next month.   Let's just say I'm going the minimal distance on commuter rails, that's $5.75 each way during non peak hours, $8.00 during peak in a few weeks.  So on my average trip from my home in Natick, to say somewhere in Long Island, it's going to cost me  $3.00 for the bus, but antther $11.50 from Natick to South Station, and $11.50 from Penn Station to the border of Long Island, plus if I take Lucky Star, $4.50 for the subway to Penn.  That's already $30.50 a head.  Let's take out the LIRR, and just take the subway.  That's $19.00, but that's assuming you got the $1.00 fare and ordered your tickets well in advanced.  Average time from South Station to Manhattan?  Around 3.5 to 4 hours.  Average time door to door?  A lot longer.  

In my case, I can call up a friend, jump into my car on a Friday evening, party in NYC Friday night, crash at my friend's place somewhere in Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island with free on street parking, and leave anytime I want to come back home, for 9 times out of 10 less money that I would taking the same trip via public transit and buses.  

For those who say that traffic is just awful in NYC and parking is impossible, well if your final destination is Manhattan during rush hour and you don't ever plan to leave the island, then sure your just stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In the outer boros, you can always find parking for free, even if it's a few subway stops away from your plans.  

I'm all about lowering my carbon footprint, and trying to be as economical as possible.  But in this case, the numbers don't lie, it takes more energy probably to  transport two people via public transit, especially the hours I travel where the buses and trains are relatively empty, than it would just to take my own fairly efficient and comfortable vehicle.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fwright48. Show fwright48's posts

Acela is nice in theory but not in practice.   Poor scheduling and high prices relegate it to 'niche' status, entertaining for novelty purposes.   I'd love to have an Acela option that actually worked.   Plus Penn Station, where the Acela arrives, is an abomination,  especially if you remember the lovely structure which it replaced.

Buses are cheap, fast, extremely convenient and fairly comfortable but they are still a bus and this automatically means claustrophobic containment rife with deisel fumes and motion sickness.   Most buses arrive at Port Authority which is clean, safe, and perfectly located.

Traveling by plane to New York is the least attractive option by far - allowing for the travel time to each departure/arrival airport, the additional time (1 or more hours) you must be there PRIOR to departure, getting through security, waiting for baggage collection, trekking through labyrinthine airports on both ends, and the actual flight time -- all this added together means that a flight to NYC will always be the slowest, most expensive, and least pleasant way to travel.

Personally, I almost always just drive to Stamford (2.5 hours) park in the garage and take the Metroliner Express into the city.   Dead easy, cheap, fast.   Plus there is something magical about arriving into Grand Central Terminal when you are beginning your long weekend in the city.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bemused11. Show bemused11's posts

I love the Acela because you can get up and walk around and the sights on the way are great, but I can't justify the cost if I'm traveling with one or more companioins.  At that point we end up driving. :(

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lem144. Show lem144's posts

Amtrak Acela by far.  It's reliable, takes 3.5 hours and is not subject to road congestion.  It's easily accessible downtown-downtown.  I wish it were more affordable, as I'd go more often, but it's not.

Amtrak needs to add wi-fi.  It's cheap and would lead to even happier customers.

I've taken the bus and never has it not been slow and subject to backups.  I hate traffic congestion.

Driving isn't too bad, but it's nice to just zone out and not worry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from U2RedSoxfan. Show U2RedSoxfan's posts

Favorite way is still to drive.  Just made 2 round-trips there from Boston in the past month, both on weekends, and have to say going to NYC is much faster than returning to Boston, not sure why, there always seems to be a traffic jam somewhere in southwestern CT.

Driving from downtown Bos to say midtown NYC using the Pike, then 84, 15, 91, and then 95 took 3.5 hours with just two quick stops at rest areas along the way (Hartford and in New Haven).  Ok, so I was speeding (80?) but who doesn't in CT??  My gosh, their driving makes Boston drivers look like angels!

Coming back took roughly 4 hours with one stop, lots of traffic along the way.

There's the convenience of door-to-door, and you can't beat getting to roll down the window or have the sun-roof open if it's nice out.  The bus is less expensive, sure, but you need a subway or cab to get to the bus stations first, and you get to sit next to and around strangers.  Same holds true for Amtrak.  Did the train thing one year, it took 6 hours, felt like a never-ending T ride!  Not my cup of tea...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from geocool. Show geocool's posts

Driving can't be beat.   Traffic would have to get a lot, lot worse to tip the scales.   If you're travelling to NYC for a weekend or holiday, I've found that the worst traffic, except for car crash backups, is usually New Yorkers heading out when I'm heading in, or vice versa.   If you have a family of four, it's even cheaper to rent a car than take the bus or train.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatthe2. Show whatthe2's posts

I take the non-Acela train.  It is only twenty minutes longer and half the price.  The cafe car is better since the Acela's cafe doesn't have seats. 

Whoever said the train is 6 hours long hasn't taken the train in over ten years.  The non- Acela train is under 4 hours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieOnCape. Show MarieOnCape's posts

I travel for business where schedule is sometimes more important than cost, and for that reason I favor the Delta Shuttle. Easy to go down and back in the same day - even within the same workday that I'd spend in Boston. I can leave my house 1/2 hour earlier than I do to get the train in Concord and I am in our mid-town office at the same time I'd get to my office in Boston.

When the Acela first operated it was very nice with smooth rails and new cars. But the ride is now so bumpy that it is hard to use your laptop while the train is moving. And maintenance of the trains is not as good as it should be. I've experienced broken seats and panels lately. Also for me the schedules aren't as convient as some other options. It would be so much better if it actually could run on dedicated - and more direct - rails to New York. Though, I must say the winding route along the Connecticut coast is beautful and kids on the beach always wave as the train passes!

I have to admit this bus looks interesting because of the wifi and drop off locations coupled with cost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clown. Show Clown's posts

Why would anyone go to NYC?  to Spend a fortune?  To get mugged?  Oh yes - to watch the Yankees lose in their 1/2 full stadium?  LOL!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

The train is my favorite for this trip.  I love the beauty except at either end of the ride.  But it is right into mid-town.  If what matters is being there, and the beauty of the ride isn't important, then I think the bus is gob-smacking cheap.  $1?  $5?  (And I'm not just getting it from this thread.  And I don't mean Fung Wah.)  Right into the heart of each city?  Absolutely a-mazing!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmusselman. Show cgmusselman's posts

I take the Chinese bus from South Station to Chinatown, NYC. I ride the Red Line from Harvard Square and the Metro from Grand to 59th Street. With 2 subway rides, the trip is 4 hours total and cost $15 for bus and $5 for subways.

My sweetheart has found busses that leave midtown and offer WiFi and amenities, but I've taken the Chinese bus for 15 years and remain loyal!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Drive.  Although its very stressful that last half hour or so its still faster and cheaper, not to mention more comfortable.  I'd never fly to NYC.  I had business in Jersey City for a while and the stress of flying was too much.  Plus it was $700 round trip and the delays made planning appointments impossible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucky1255. Show lucky1255's posts

I ride my fuji 12 speed bike...I usually try to get close to a truck for it to carry me along without pedaling by the backdraft....I always wear a helmet and leather gloves in case of a collision with a car or truck......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Re: What's your favorite way to get to New York City?:
    [QUOTE]As someone who was raised in NYC, this may sound strange to some, but I would take my own car.  Unless I'm staying within Manhattan itself (which is rarely the case), the cheapest way to travel for me always works out to be my own car.  Conservatively I get around 25 MPH (in reality it's more like 30), it's 400 miles round trip, gas being $2.25, that works out to $36.00.  Tolls round trip work out to say around $15 (11 bucks for the bridges which are going up in NYC, say 4 bucks for the pike round trip) round trip.  So that's $51 total, for a car that can seat up to 4 people comfortably with door to door service where ever I'm going.  Most of the time I drive with at least one or more persons, but let's say only 2 people are in the car, that's $25.00 per head.  I can stop anytime, take a break, grab some food along the way, etc. etc.  I can also just go as fast as I can if I have too.  Average time door to door is just over 3 hours, at most 4.   On the other hand say I'm to take the bus this weekend, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday.  The average ticket price is hovering around $15 to $20 dollars.  That's $30 per head.  Sure if you travel at certain times or buy your ticket way in advance, it gets down to $1.00 plus fees.  So that's a great deal to travel from Boston to NYC roundtrip for around $3.00.  But I don't live in Boston, I gotta take the commuter rail in South Station, I live in Zone 4 of the commuter rail, that's $11.50 right there for a system that barely runs the times I'd like to take it anbyway.   And again I'm not staying in Manhattan, so the subway is gonna cost $4.50 come the end of June round trip and if I have to go to Jersey, Long Island, back up north to Westchester, I've got to take the commuter rail which are going up 5% - 10% next month.   Let's just say I'm going the minimal distance on commuter rails, that's $5.75 each way during non peak hours, $8.00 during peak in a few weeks.  So on my average trip from my home in Natick, to say somewhere in Long Island, it's going to cost me  $3.00 for the bus, but antther $11.50 from Natick to South Station, and $11.50 from Penn Station to the border of Long Island, plus if I take Lucky Star, $4.50 for the subway to Penn.  That's already $30.50 a head.  Let's take out the LIRR, and just take the subway.  That's $19.00, but that's assuming you got the $1.00 fare and ordered your tickets well in advanced.  Average time from South Station to Manhattan?  Around 3.5 to 4 hours.  Average time door to door?  A lot longer.   In my case, I can call up a friend, jump into my car on a Friday evening, party in NYC Friday night, crash at my friend's place somewhere in Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island with free on street parking, and leave anytime I want to come back home, for 9 times out of 10 less money that I would taking the same trip via public transit and buses.   For those who say that traffic is just awful in NYC and parking is impossible, well if your final destination is Manhattan during rush hour and you don't ever plan to leave the island, then sure your just stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In the outer boros, you can always find parking for free, even if it's a few subway stops away from your plans.   I'm all about lowering my carbon footprint, and trying to be as economical as possible.  But in this case, the numbers don't lie, it takes more energy probably to  transport two people via public transit, especially the hours I travel where the buses and trains are relatively empty, than it would just to take my own fairly efficient and comfortable vehicle.  
    Posted by archer823[/QUOTE]

At a cost of $.50/mile to operate the average vehicle + tolls = ~ $225 each way or $450 total + parking? 

Every checkers player thinks the only cost to get somewhere in their car is gas + tolls. Every chess player knows better!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fljaweiu. Show fljaweiu's posts

Spotted Pig for me is the best but $$$$$ with the best fries ever.. roasted garlic and fresh rosemary shoe strings..........Shake Shack $ great value and mass appeal but who cares about the fries even with cheese.........Gotta love the marketing however.......Going to Burger & Barrel tomorrow.......We will see................

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

i like Limoliner when i am going down for an extended trip
    http://www.limoliner.com/

if i am going down for business which is most of my life...its drive still but i have learned to stay outside the city and take subway, train or commute in with others

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from erwin63. Show erwin63's posts

I like to use my own car for visiting newyork city.Because it is comfertable for me and my family.
    Many times I used the AMTRAK Acela Train when I am alone in newyork and It's great fun and interesting trip for me.
    ===========
    SEO services without upfront