1. You have chosen to ignore posts from palsatb. Show palsatb's posts

Re: Dealing with new bank fees

It's futile to fight back with the big banks, especially Bank of America. The mentality of banks is very similar to that of the telecom industry; the quest to make as much money as possible by implementing fees to fatten their bottom line.  Bank of America has invested hundreds of millions of dollars and is ubiquitous in its branding throughout the sports world as well as it is at the MFA wing boasting of its $10m "donation".  They are flush with money and are essentially robbing people to remain fat.  BOA is the most egregious offender.  It sickens me that they again are raising fees and there is nothing we can do other than move to a different bank.

I hope Sovereign will not follow the pattern of BOA.  If they do, I will move to a credit union.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neptoon10. Show neptoon10's posts

BofA drove me nuts with the nickle and diming 3 years ago, so I moved to Fidelity with my checking needs and never looked back. Ultimately the consumer has the power to avoid these fees. It's a bit of pain to change direct deposit and any bill paying, but soooo worth it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

It's easy to avoid bank fees, go to your LOCAL BANK. No fees, free checking, great, friendly customer service – they actually know your name... You don't get charged for using other bank's ATMs – some will even reimburse the fees the other banks charge.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone goes to the big banks, they're just trying to rip you off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dont-hate. Show dont-hate's posts

Two of the biggest fields of employment in Boston are Financials and Healthcare. Funny how these articles seem to always target both of them. How responsible is it to bash these industries while complaining we have no tax dollars for our schools?

Bank profits means jobs for Boston, and jobs mean schools, and services...

The Globe is truly idiotic... and the people (or should I say sheep) who keep these knee-jerk responses coming are playing right into their hands. 

The Globe has no answers people... they are just a bunch of egocentric wannabe intellectual ideologues peddling cheap advertising to keep you thinking like them....

Ohhh be afraid everyone, and keep buying our newspaper so we can tell you how to think and vote... In the mean time please visit our sponsors front page ad for the latest in spearmint gum....

If you don't like the fees, bank at a Credit Union. You have more voting power as a consumer than as a citizen....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

In Response to Re: Dealing with new bank fees:
    If they do, I will move to a credit union.

I'm already doing that, and so should everyone else.  That's the only thing that will drive the point home to these thieves.  Do it now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scienceguy151. Show Scienceguy151's posts

sketchy fee collection is good citizenship. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Glas45. Show Glas45's posts

On-line banks such as ING and ALLY are great.  Good rates and no fees. Also, smaller commmunity banks.  Both are the way to go. Just keep balances under $250K the max for FDIC insurance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mingustrane. Show mingustrane's posts

I don't think anyone begrudges any company from making a profit, but the issue is that the banks are gouging people. For example, I recently went into BOA to cash a check drawn on a BOA account. Because I wasn't a BOA account holder, they wanted to charge me $6 to cash the check. In my eyes, this is too much. Also, the big banks were given federal money to help the housing market and instead of lending that money, as they had agreed, they invested in other areas and continued their tight grip on the lending market. Policies and actions like these are the target of people's ire. 

Being a banker was once an honorable profession. Bankers were once pillars of a community. They lent money for homes, construction, businesses, etc. and helped to build the communities in which they operated. They did all this while realizing a healthy profit. Today, the consolidation of many of the country's smaller banks has created mega-banks run by greedy self-serving CEOs. It disgusts me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from acitizen. Show acitizen's posts

Fifteen years ago we switched to our local savings bank & haven't looked back.  If we are missing anything we aren't aware of it....Tat is except for outrageous fees and the attitude like "you should pay us to hold your money"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palsatb. Show palsatb's posts

Are you a professional ventriloquist?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CLMN. Show CLMN's posts

Thank you President O'Bama!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelkrieger. Show michaelkrieger's posts

I have found that every big bank... and that includes Bank of America, Sovereign, Citizens, and TD Bank is greedy with their fees. There are a few banks like DCU and Eagle that are kinda in between even though they are mutual banks or credit unions. Shop around well enough and you can find a good deal. A good deal is www.salemfivedirect.com; you can bank at any Salem Five plus get $20 is foreign ATM fees reimbursed plus interest rates competitive with online banks. Danversbank and Cambridge Savings are both good choices too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shellygreen. Show shellygreen's posts

In Response to Re: Dealing with new bank fees:
    Thank you President O'Bama!
    Posted by CLMN

I believe this is exactly what Scott Brown said would happen when he voted against the bank reform bill (or whatever it was called). 

Thank you, Mr. President, may I have another?  Way to look out for the middle class.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1965grad. Show 1965grad's posts

In Response to Dealing with new bank fees:
    Has your bank recently added new fees to your accounts, such as monthly checking account fees, or higher ATM fees? How do you deal with these fees? Do you just pay them? Have you changed banks? Do you have other ways of avoiding being nickel-and-dimed by your bank?
    Posted by BDCBusinessStaff

I was disgusted when I found out that Citizens Bank was charging someone $7.00 to cash a check that I wrote to them on my citizens account. I asked the tellers at the Concord branch about it and the teller's snotty answer was "Bank of America charges $10.00", as if that was a justification. 
    I am switching to Middlesex Bank in Concord, they do not charge that fee yet! By the way if they charge us a dollar to get an ATM receipt will we be able to read it? No one ever replaces the ink on those statements.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerguy2. Show soccerguy2's posts

Re: Dealing with new bank fees use SUM network banks

Use SUM network banks to avoid ATM fees.

http://www.sum-atm.com/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

This headline would be far more accurate if it read,

"Banks Respond to Voters' Insistence On Increased Regulations"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from homey01. Show homey01's posts

I have pulled ALL my accounts from Sovereign and put them into a NON PROFIT credit union along with direct deposits.
    Your lead on the story tells it all,increasing fees for more profit.Greed!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tony91. Show Tony91's posts

Boycott greedy big banks by opening an account in a local credit union or small bank.  I closed my BofA account to protest the "too big to fail" bailouts.  Let's all help out by shrinking Bank of America and other giant banks so that they are no longer too big to fail.  DanversBank opened a branch in my neighborhood.  I LOVE them and they pay 3% interest on my checking and refund all ATM fees if I go to another banks ATM.  I am not affiliated with them - just a HAPPY customer.  I have not said that about a bank EVER before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickiebaby. Show chickiebaby's posts

dont-hate: Yes it's true that "financials" are a big part of the workforce in Boston but please don't lump Banking with Financial Services. I work in Financial Services and we're way different than people who work in Banking.

FWIW: I'm moving my money from Citizens to a credit union.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bheathers. Show bheathers's posts

Deal with credit unions.  Many federal credit unions will allow you to join but becoming members at groups they support. Credit unions are friendlier usually and still operate at the personal level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

My son who goes to college on the north shore (we live on the cape) works at the school (work/study).  His employer uses Bank of America for their payroll.  The only bank in the area is Bank of America.  Last week he got paid $96.00 for 2 weeks of work (paid with two checks).  When he went to cash his pay checks BOA charged him $6.00 per check for a total of $12.00.  Maybe its me but I find 11.5% of the kids pay for the privilege of using their bank outrageous.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston1284. Show Boston1284's posts

TD Bank charges 15$ now if you go under 100$ in your checking account. I have been a customer (Of BankNorth) for over 10 years and got slapped with them without even a written notice. I would love to switch banks, but need to do research through things like this first. I am definitely considering ING Orange checking as my savings is there and I always have had an easy time using their online tools and timely transactions. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

Run, don't walk, to Wainwright Bank & Trust.  This is a true neighborhood bank with wonderful employees and a generous and consistent community presence.  If there isn't a Wainwright bank near you, there's certainly a credit union where you will be able to get the same affordable service while supporting a local business.  

No one should be wasting their money doing their banking at BofA and no one should be using their ATMS, which charge the highest fees in MA! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindakop. Show lindakop's posts

I left BOA about a year ago and it was a nightmare.  There was always a left over amount (with interest of course) and 3 times the manager deleted the account and then finally, it was over.  I went to Citizen's and everything was going well until they announced that they'd be adding fees, etc.  Now I have to find another bank.  There is a credit union near me and I was thinking of giving that a try.  My husband was with a credit union in Maine and it was a good experience.  He is also with the same bank he used as an adolescent (Cambridge bank and Savings) and they are still adhering (or perhaps he is grandfathered in) to old and fairer ways of doing business.  Good luck to you all and to me dealing with this miasma.

Sections
Shortcuts