1. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Re: How much do you pay for health care?

I wonder how relevant the answers will be.  If I make $100,000 and have to pay 100% of my plan or if I make $85,000 and the employer pays 100% what is the difference?  Too many people are confounded by the shell game.  The cost to you is whatever the cost is.  Period.  If your employer chips in for some of the cost then you're just underpaid by that amount.  People aren't all that confused by their employer paying their federal, state, FICA, and OASDI estimated taxes on their behalf (not so much that people don't still get refunds every year for giving the government an interest free loan).  Why do so many still think they're getting something for nothing in regards to paying the cost of health coverage?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbreeze. Show cbreeze's posts

I am single and my Harvard Pilgrim has increased from $500/qtr and a small deductible a 5-10 years ago to over $600/month with a $2000 deductible. 

When MA passed the Health Coverage Law I was forced to add over a $100 per month just for prescription drug coverage.  The sick part about that deal is I still need to buy the drugs myself without the plan because it is less money and I take Plavix and 4 other drugs.  Thanks to the wonderful new Mass law. 

At this rate in a few years it won't be long before it's a chioce for food or my health insurance.  The system is out of control and MA has made it even worse by taking the rx drug coverage decision away from me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thayer. Show thayer's posts

Single, 57, female, self-employed:  BCBS HMO ~$800/mo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kathryn2579. Show Kathryn2579's posts

family plan 600 per month and 500 deductable per person per year. ALSO 1000 for each over night stay at the hospital.  50/50 split.    DH used to have just a single plan before we had our son and i had one and it was still about 650 amonth.. His plan was better with no deduct. and over night fees

OUCH!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmansj. Show cmansj's posts

I thought insurance companies were supposed to INSURE individuals against loss -that does not seem what is taking place.  What really happens is that insurance companies insure THEMSELVES against individuals who take out policies.  In this way, the insurance companies will always get paid above and beyond, no matter what happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldDude3. Show OldDude3's posts

10% wait until the Dems completely cave in to the wingnuts and see how much it goes up then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlitvlnvla. Show jlitvlnvla's posts

When I was carted off in an ambulance regardless of the fact that nothing was wrong with me and I told them I would not pay a penny for the trip if they forced me to go , which they did, and when the Norwood Caritias Hospital took me in their emergency room, forced me to take medicine in huge amounts against my will, which made so tired I could hardly talk, and told me they wanted me to stay for a few days, although I said only one thing"I want to go home" well they wouldn't let me go home, and they did nothing for me at all except give me tests which  came out exactly the same as every other time I'd had these tests done over the last 50 years.  The tests proved nothing. After three days they sent me home.  My insurance did not declare any of this an emergency and refused to cover any of it. They say I owe about $31k for treatements I never wanted and never asked for. Well as a result I've told the hospital they owe me hundreds of thouands of dollars for not only assault and batterty, theft and robbery and much much more but  they don't pay either. So if insurance doesn't pay why have it, if the hospital doesn't pay who are they but crimials and crooks.  They certainly did nothing for my health.  No tests they gave me did I ever accept or want.  Since my insurance wouldn't pay for the  'emergency' but they claim to pay 100% of all emergencies well what is the point in having  insurance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfield5. Show medfield5's posts

Self Employed...family rate $1300 a month with BCBS.  BTW, the premiums I pay as a owner of an LLC are considered as income on my taxes.  Quite ridiculous.   Our rates have gone up on average 30% a year over the past four years.  That is with an increase in our co-pay.  So much for reducing our premiums by mandating coverage for all.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyahab. Show johnnyahab's posts

Health Care system is totally fine...clearly, we don't need any new legislation.  Increased rates and decreased coverage on a yearly basis is just part of the American dream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

Family plan for TWO!  $5 co-pay.  $5 per month supply for most drugs.  Employer pays 50%.  I pay other 50% which comes to almost $7000 annually or almost $14,000 a year.  FYI, in Canada... Universal Healthcare WITH "Private Supplement" and EI (Employment Insurance) costs less than $6000 per year.  Read this and drool...  http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/special.shtml#Parental3

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sly3. Show Sly3's posts

None:(  unemployed and I just can't afford it, so basicly I'm screwed.  I have never in my life not had health insurance.  It's either keep a roof over my head or get health insurance.  I cant wait for tax season and I have to pay taxes for the first time in my life !!!!   The best part is I was a single mother of three and never took anything from the government, no hand outs, no food stamps, etc..... worked two or three jobs to keep it together, but now that i just can't afford it the government will take it from me!!!   I often wonder how the government officals that have FREE health care for the rest of theirs lives can know how it REALLY affects the everyday person/family....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Nothing, not one red cent do I pay for health coverage.  I have had no coverage since March 2009 when I left my job.I never used the coverage anyway even though it was mandatory to have it.  Well folks, fortunately I have no children, I never get sick and I am trying to stay healthy. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from championsbaby. Show championsbaby's posts

I pay about $250 a month for family plan (one child) and then there's the copay of $20 every time I sneeze.  What I hate is that when you have a follow up with a doctor, they charge you another $20.  A lot of times, I have skipped on th efollow up, unless something wasn't working.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlitvlnvla. Show jlitvlnvla's posts

I'm self employed and I stopped paying for all health care in March 09 due to their criminal behaviour. It is a complete ripoff and I never need it.  And obviously from my experience they wouldn't pay even if I did need it.  My father read news about these health insurances offering cheap rates that never cover anything and I mine was certainly one of them. I never had health care before 12/07 when it became required, and I never want health care.  I just want to be healthy. Obviously they couldn't bring good health to Ted Kennedy.  So why pay them a penny

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrBostn. Show MrBostn's posts

Single M 47 self employed technology consultant

BCBS of MA PPO 2000 deductable $424.32/month...

I rarely use it...ugh

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from happyisme85. Show happyisme85's posts

In Response to Re: How much do you pay for health care?:
    Self Employed...family rate $1300 a month with BCBS.  BTW, the premiums I pay as a owner of an LLC are considered as income on my taxes.  Quite ridiculous.   Our rates have gone up on average 30% a year over the past four years.  That is with an increase in our co-pay.  So much for reducing our premiums by mandating coverage for all.  
    Posted by medfield5

You're misunderstanding the tax law. You pick it up as income but then you deduct it on your personal return.  Since you recieve a K-1 rather than a w-2 there is no opportunity to take it out tax free except on the 1040.  Employees pick up their health insurance premiums as income - it's just pre-tax.  Look at someones compensation package sometime, employers considered health insurance to be "compensation".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from alanauer. Show alanauer's posts

Some of these costs seem staggering to a Canadian.  As a resident of Ontario, I pay a tax surcharge of about $800/yr (would be less if I earned less) for my medical care, and my tax rate is slightly higher than yours. But ALL medically-necessary examinations, tests, and treatments are cost-free. As a senior, I pay a maximum of $100/yr for all my prescriptions, reimbursed by my former employer. 

To be sure, demand exceeds supply, causing wait-times for some procedures. But apparently it's similar in the US.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghamann. Show ghamann's posts

Anyone who fears health reform because of the "added cost" hasn't thought the issue through.  Whether you pay higher taxes, or the cost of your benefits continues to rise by 10 percent per year, you're paying a "tax."  That tax is to pay for all the uninsured and underinsured that get healthcare services.  To say that we don't need to reform healthcare is a JOKE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuzinjo. Show cuzinjo's posts

$10 co-pay, no deductable, employer pays 90%. Costs me about $1200 a year for HMO Blue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuzinjo. Show cuzinjo's posts

$10 co-pay, no deductable, employer pays 90%. Costs me about $1200 a year for HMO Blue.

P.S. Family plan that covers my ex-wife and six year old daughter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from barbaru. Show barbaru's posts

The self employed folks are getting killed by this.  I pay $1300 HMO Blue Family plan.  Sure it's the cost of doing business but....  The premiums are not deductable to my company (like they are when an employer pays for an employee).  No big deal, I can take it.

But then, the kicker is that I am personally TAXED on the 15K+ I pay a year because it's considered a benefit to me.......  Are you kidding.?

Sure I don't provide any jobs but I don't milk the system and I leave room for someone else to work in a company where I could be. 

It's insane...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

Do you want the number my employer and I pay for healthcare, or the number I pay for my healthcare plus how much it costs me to cover people who have no healthcare as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevef. Show stevef's posts

$1300 a month for a BCBS HMO family plan. And I still have to pay up to $500 a year deductible per person, plus co pays (20 for a doc, 100 for ER, and 50 for RX) . F-Ing outrageous.

In 1999 a BETTER family plan (PPO, $5 co-pay, no more than $15 drug cost) cost $400 a month. Don't try telling me healthcare reform isn't long overdue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattygee. Show mattygee's posts

There really needs to be a honest discussion about why health care keeps going up so much. The same with higher ed.  There are simply no underlying reasons that justify the doubling of costs every 10 years.  Much of the problem is with thing like insurance and financial aid, people who receive the services are insulated from the true cost.  An MRI, which should be a 50$ procedure cost $1000 because so few people who get them actually know they cost that much.

M

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOfEverything. Show KingOfEverything's posts

$446.00 per month for a family plan through my employer, $1k deductible, plus 10% of any test, procedure, or hospital visit.  (having a child will cost about $4k out of pocket....previous coverage the cost was $250) Not going to the Dr unless something is seriously wrong, which is what the insurance companies are hoping for with the changes in coverage that have been happening over the past few years.  If everyone pays, and no one goes to the Dr......jackpot for insurance co's.  You right wing wack jobs need to think about what your doing in protesting health care reform...we're getting right wing medical coverage now....pay more for less coverage...it's the American way.

Sections
Shortcuts