1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lannybudd. Show lannybudd's posts

Re: Sick day excuses

Who gets sick days anymore? Many organizations lump sick and vacation days together into a yearly Paid Time Off allotment. I haven't had to make up an excuse for over a decade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from silvercity. Show silvercity's posts

I have designated sick days (12 a year) so I'm still making up excuses in order to use them. I can roll them over from year to year, but I won't get paid for them if I leave/retire/get laid off.

My favorite excuse is stomach upset, the kind you need to be near the bathroom all day for.  It's great because you don't need to fake sounding sick on the phone and you can squeeze a few days out of it.  My oddest excuse was needing to take my parrot to see an avian vet.  My boss at the time thought it was so strange it had to be true... and it was!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asseedan. Show asseedan's posts

I once worked with somebody who called in sick claiming he had gangrene. It was, conveniently enough, the day after our Christmas party

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerLilith. Show TigerLilith's posts

Not my excuse but a habitually out sick co-worker said she accidentally put crazy glue in her contacts and they were stuck to her eyeballs. so had to go to emergency...seriously.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheClubman. Show TheClubman's posts

I went to Maine for a weekend and had way too much fun! I really didn't want to go t o work the next day. I had also gotten quite a lot of sun while I was there, so then the light came on!

I called in with sun poisining! Brilliant!

They took it hook, line and sinker... especially after seeing how red I was the next day!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justthefax. Show justthefax's posts

I called in saying the Bourne Bridge had flooded out and I could not get to the mainland...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from barney59. Show barney59's posts

I got this one from a temp employee who had worked for approx 3 months already: "I can't come to work today because I can't find my safety shoes". He found them found them 2 days later and returned to work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stacy-b. Show stacy-b's posts

I didn't actually have to take the whole day...but I had to call in late because I couldn't leave my street (a one lane private way) because the electric company was there to fix the power.  Not strange you say?  The power was out because a squirrel had fried itself on the transformer on the top of the pole.  So a suicidal squirrel kept me from getting to work on time.

Funniest part was the guy from NStar.  He just looked at the top of the pole then on the ground and did it about 4 times in a row before he said, "There's your problem." while pointing to a belly-up squirrel at the base of the pole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I was a floor manager.A nursing assistant, who apparently didn't get the memo about how to make up an exuse to call in sick said,"I don't be there today, I dont want to work today, I'm tired" If we weren't so short staffed I would have found it funny. bg.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sokramdad. Show Sokramdad's posts

Our Motto is: Don't call in sick, crawl in sick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DdBishop. Show DdBishop's posts

We have an company and one of our installation technicians called me at 10am saying that he couldn't come in that day because he had a raging fever of 99 degrees.  I didn't say anything, and when he came in he kept telling the story to everyone on how he had this terrible 99 degree fever and almost went to the emergency room....  So now we call him Jay-z - he's got "99 problems but a fever ain't one)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whenever. Show whenever's posts

I got 2 paid sick days by telling my boss I injured myself while playing with a GERBIL. When I came back, I had a fake, slight limp just to seem more credible. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

Thankfully I am at a company where I do not need to make excuses. We have flex time off days that can be used for any personal reason and we are encouraged to use them up as they are use or lose. I just email my boss and say I need a day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nodemyhere. Show nodemyhere's posts

My aunt is flying in from Califonia, she has 2 suitcases and only one arm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I had a woman who worked for me and constantly abused her sick time, left a voicemail one day that her Chihuahua fell out her window and she had to rush it to the vet.  Oh and also loved the one where she was too upset to come to work because gang members fired at her and her boyfriend.  I ended up firing her months and many excuses later. Only person I have had to fire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigDaddyHutDog. Show BigDaddyHutDog's posts

The next day after a Thursday night work party, I had to call an employee to find out why he hadn't show up for work yet. In a drunken slur he actually said he thought it was Saturday...marked him as out sick.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cappu. Show cappu's posts

I'm having a problem with my eyes......i just can't (see) coming into work today!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAEK. Show KAEK's posts

Best ones I've heard (never told) were absenteeism due to 1) amoebas attacking her intestinal track and 2) an "entity" had invaded the house and the ghost had taken advantage of her in her sleep.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

I lived in an apt. building for 3 years where so many weird things happened that my boss figured the excuses had to be true, which they were. The best 2:
    1. Can't come to work because the painters hired by the landlord started painting the back and front porches simultaneously at 8am, including the floors. Both exits in the building were blocked. Brilliant.
    2. Will have to come in late because a possum who had been attacked by neighborhood animals was slowly dying under the back wheel of my car, and when I got within 5 feet of it, the thing snarled and hissed at me. Had to call the city, they sent a guy with a shovel to remove it about 2 hours later. Yuck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msftran. Show msftran's posts

Projectile vomiting does the trick

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IheartJohn. Show IheartJohn's posts

I just say I have a migraine. Hopefully I never actually get one!

Sections
Shortcuts