Your 'I quit' stories

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Re: Your 'I quit' stories

Hi everyone, I also worked at a Friendlys when I was 16 years old. OMG! Talk about abuse from management, supervisors. Awful company. b.g.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icandolongdivision. Show Icandolongdivision's posts

I LOVE telling this story.
    I was working in investment banking as an analyst, just out of school.
    The analyst's job is to progress to a point where s/he is trusted and competent enough to price deals on her/his own. That's all. Nothing else. If s/he can price a deal, s/he has earned her/his spot on the team.
    Alas, about 9 months into my job, I wasn't there, and my boss's boss, the "managing director" of the group, put me on "probation," although I was never clear on what that meant, because I hadn't priced a deal, and they didn't feel that I was moving in that direction. (I WAS trying and working hard, but I just didn't come up the curve fast enough.) That was the only reason she gave. Nothing else was mentioned. The meeting was 10 minutes, at most.

I managed to convince my boss, 3-4 months later, that I was ready to price a deal, and I did so flawlessly. There were no problems/glitches, and there were lots of places where they could occur. So I made an appointment with the "managing director" to discuss the end to my "probation," now that I priced a deal flawlessly. That was the purpose of the meeting I left in the message I left on her chair.

She told me my probation was being extended, because of my "comportment," a word I'd never heard until that meeting. I said, oh, ok. This meeting was 5 minutes, at most.

I went back to my desk and typed a "memo," in the body of which was only, "I resign."

I went back to her, handed her it, and my badge, shook her hand, and thanked her for her time. She was stunned. She looked up and me and said nothing.

I was a legend for quite a while there after that. Man, I LOVE just typing it out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill1021. Show bill1021's posts

In Response to Re: Your 'I quit' stories:
    [QUOTE]When I was eleven I had a paper route. I was so tired of it but I was afraid to tell my parents or my boss that I wanted to quit. I used to leave every morning,dump the newspapers and come back home in an hour. I did make sure that my immediate neighbors got their papers because I knew they would call my Mother not the Herald. They eventually fired me but the never took my collection book so I continued to do the collections for the next three weeks. I didn't mind that part of the job.
    Posted by northeastnostalgia[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill1021. Show bill1021's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your 'I quit' stories :
    Posted by bill1021[/QUOTE]

To funny. I quit my paper route too when I was like 11 or 12. And today, at 56 years old I still have dreams of having to make excuses to neighbors at collection day why they didn't get their paper once or twice during the week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

b.g., I know, my completely awful, incompetant manager was absolutely typical of Friendly's.  It's like they train them to be as terrible as possible.

Icandolongdivision, good for you for getting out of there!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Kar, Thanks for the validation, there was this guy in the West Roxbury branch , his name was Nigel, and all us waitresses hated to close up with this superviser, he was SO inappropriate, groping, and the company just ignored us.  This was around 1975,1976. I just quit, I was so afraid to tell my Dad why I was crying when he came to pick me up. I was worried that he would really hurt the guy, and get into trouble, I kept my mouth shut. I vowed my daughters would never close a restaraunt again. B.G.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from g0nz0. Show g0nz0's posts

Went to Telluride to work the winter season in a restaurant.  Didn't realize that it was such a small town and all the good server jobs were locked down.  With 9 years experience and increased boredom, I took a job as a busser -  with the promise of imminent promotion.  
    The head waiter thought he walked on water: Got the first table, the last table, and anything else he wanted in between.  On a busy night, he started to critisize me for slow performance when in reality, I was taking care of the tables that my other server was responsible for. (Dangling participle).  
    I politely told the jerk that this situation would never happen again, paused and looked him in the eye, took my apron off in the middle of the dining room and walked out the front door - past the stunned owner.  I never got a job in Telluride, but I had money in the bank from working on the Vineyard in the summer, and a lot of people in Telluride's service industry bought me beverages.  The restaurant eventually went under.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, Thanks for the validation, there was this guy in the West Roxbury branch , his name was Nigel, and all us waitresses hated to close up with this superviser, he was SO inappropriate, groping, and the company just ignored us.  This was around 1975,1976. I just quit, I was so afraid to tell my Dad why I was crying when he came to pick me up. I was worried that he would really hurt the guy, and get into trouble, I kept my mouth shut. I vowed my daughters would never close a restaraunt again. B.G.
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

OMG, BG!!  I didn't see this 'til now - I'm so sorry you went through that!  My manager was a woman.  Bad manager, but not THAT bad.  Gross.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

g0nz0, I can relate to that, too.  I bussed with the promise of quick promotion.  And, I proceeded to get dumped on 'til I quit (without much of a story).  That restaurant also went under.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joshua03801. Show Joshua03801's posts

The one I remember best was about 12 years ago ... I gave my notice to my boss (whose personal issues with another manager caused my failure to gain a promotion) in the desktop computer support team at a large cell phone company's office.
    A week later, my boss came to my cubicle complaining that he could not find me.  After commenting that I had been in the cubicle for the previous hour preparing a new computer for another employee (which the 4 people in adjacent cubicles openly confirmed), he became irate.
    When the HR manager got involved (as she was walking in the area) ... she noted that from the boss's office, he could have contacted me via my desk phone, pager, my company issued cell phone, the intercom system, or even the tech support helpdesk (those previously mentioned 4 adjacent cubes) ... none of which he tried.  
    The HR manager reprimanded the boss ... and allowed me to leave the office with a full 2-weeks of pay to avoid other issues with this boss,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, he sounds like a classic passive-aggressive ("couldn't" find you with so many avenues untried) - they are impossible to work for, you have no chance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It is frightening how many of us have worked for people who are horrible managers at best and occasionally seriously disturbed.

These "how I quit" stories are entertaining but remember not to use them as a "how to" manual. 

These days, especially with Linked In, it's more important than ever to remember that you have to behave like a professional.  As much as we all fantasize about quitting with a grand gesture, no notice, and a slammed door, we HAVE to keep it together.  One bad reference will now follow you in cyberspace forever.

I am a huge believer in karma, though, and I just know that one of these days, I'll be sitting in the hiring chair when one of my former psychobosses walks in, resume in hand.  Can't wait! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lille79. Show lille79's posts

I can't believe they didn't include the "I quit" story from the movie Wanted. That was one of the best I've seen!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ztigr. Show ztigr's posts

As a middle manager, I felt my Director was doing inappropriate activities at work and had lost touch with the actual type of work we did.  Because of these disagreements she began to threaten my job and push me into a position I didn't really want.  Sat in her office on a Tuesday discussing the new position and how it was going to be a good move for me...blah blah.  I came in on a Wednesday and handed in my notice to HR, not her.  When she found out she came storming into my office and was sooooo upset that HR had to arrange just to pay me out my notice rather than work it, because she refused to work with me.  I felt that was a little unfair because I had a lot of good employees I wanted to say goodbye to, but was happy for an extra vacation.  Within 6 months of leaving, I had a new job making 10,000 more a year with no direct supervisor, she had been let go by the company for her antics, and when the HR guy gave his notice they did the same thing to him that he had done to me.  Laughing

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from discomeg2. Show discomeg2's posts

I lived in Vermont for a year when the economy was really bad. Even though I have two college degrees I could not find a job. I was working in a grocery store. Then during the holiday season I got a job for more money at the mall, working for Brookstone, you know the company with all the massagers and fun gadgets. I was working 60+ hours a week, mostly because the manager didn't hire anyone else. I was hired through his wife while interviewing for a job at Talbots. 

I was the assistant manager and there was one other retail associate, he was a good kid. He would work in the mornings with me and he would come in after working at the Vermont Teddy Bear factory where he started his work day at 4am.

There was a district manager who would come in and help out. She would blatantly lie to the customers about products. A customer forgot their ring in the "jewelry cleaner" and instead of putting it in lost or found or something, he just pocketed it. She even ran over to the jewelry store across the mall to ask how much it was worth. She told me to lie to the customers telling them to buy the Brookstone batteries because they work better in Brookstone products. She was a bad person, you get the picture.

One day the kid came into work and she was there before him, fussing around and looking for things, something was up. I asked and she said they had lost some money. She called the kid in the back room and he came out red faced and looked scared and he left the store. 

Then I was like what the hell was that? He was supposed to work today. She said he had been suspended because a "secret shopper" had come in and said he took her money instead of putting it in the drawer. He would of had to adjusted for tax, so it was kind of weird someone would go out of their way to steal 15.32 or soemthign Yes, only 15 dollars from a huge corproate company.

He was the only other sales associate. This would mean I would be working alone. 2 weeks before Christmas. 60+ hours a week. So I protested. We need him here etc. It obvoiusly would hurt us more to suspend him than to keep him here. It wasn't even proven he took money.

Then the district manager got weird with me. She would come in and surprise me. I was reading a book there was no one in the store. "YOU CANT READ" etc. The next day she scolded me because the book was still there, I had just forgotten to bring it home. I wasn't allowed breaks because, again, I was the only person working from 7am to 7pm usually. Then in my head I decided to quit. 

A few minutes later the kid who had been suspended came in, grabbed the light up key chain the secret shopper had said how the money stolen, went up to the district manager and asked her, how much is this with tax? And refused to let her ring it up because that is supposedly how he stole the money.

She of course had no idea and said he would have to leave the store. He said no, I am a customer. But he left anyways and I'll never forget his smile. It made me smile and I knew the district manager saw.

She ran into the backroom, a bunch of customers came in so I was helping them. I had to go into the backroom to get something and heard her on the phone obviously arguing with someone why I should be fired. There were 2 other employees at this point, including myself. It was 4 days until Christmas. Anyone who has worked retail knows this is the worst part of the job.

I took my keys for the store out of my bag, put them on the desk and walked out there were about 7 customers in the store, the district manager lady was still on the phone. I told them "someone will be out to help you shortly" and left. 

I have a steady good job now, NOT in retail. Remember this holiday season, don't shop at Brookstone, it was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. No it was the worst. The End.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

The last time I was an employee was several years ago. I worked for a woman who was in essence, certifiable. She treated her management and staff horribly. One day, she embarrassed me in a meeting. I got up, left the meeting , went to my office, gathered my things and left my letter of resignation on my keyboard. The next morning I began the process of starting my own business. I've never been happier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AgedMaduro. Show AgedMaduro's posts

Went on break.  Never came back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Told my boss "You can take this job and shove it.... I aint a working here no more"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyBrook. Show RandyBrook's posts

If someone give me a million dollar just to live a job i will take it and i will be wise of the money.In Finland even though i mostly have some loans likes vippi i can say that i am good on handling money because we all know that the cost of living now was really high and it is going to be difficult if you don't have a list that you need to follow.