1. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Re: Your 'I quit' stories

During the recession under Bush the Elder, I knew a man who told his boss just before he stormed out the door, "I'd rather I, my wife, and 3 kids were homeless than spend one more minute working for....."  The employer had been taking advantage of the fact that jobs were so scarce to really abuse the employees.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

The Whoe Conan thing makes me sick. I should be so lucky to have someone give me millions of dollars to leave my job.

I gave my 2 week notice, worked there for almost 13 years had a VP who was the biggest jerk on the face of the planet. He came to me on the thursday before my last day and told me to stop by his office before I left for the day so he could talk to me. (it was the first time he had spoken to me since giving my notice.) I said Oh sure. Left after me co-workers took me out to lunch and never went back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

Correction:The Whole Conan thing makes me sick. I should be so lucky to have someone give me millions of dollars to leave my job.

I gave my 2 week notice, worked there for almost 13 years had a VP who was the biggest jerk on the face of the planet. He came to me on the thursday before my last day and told me to stop by his office before I left for the day so he could talk to me. (it was the first time he had spoken to me since giving my notice.) I said Oh sure. Left after me co-workers took me out to lunch and never went back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayinboston. Show rayinboston's posts

I left the office after I threw my boss out of the 7th floor window....wonder if he made the fall?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clash. Show clash's posts

I was working for Harvard Dining Services in the summer of 1969, I had been a short order cook and was asked to work in the pot room. No..not marijuana..... dirty crusty pots that cooked soup that hadn't been cleaned for days. Mr. Henschel, my boss, got a kick out of watching me scrub pots and came by, dressed as always in a pink polyester three piece suit. He came into the room with a crusted cookie sheet of bacon bits, grease and eggs. He threw it against the other pots and as I turned I was splattered with grease. He was standing there laughing when i picked up the tray and hit him over the head with all the greasy bacon bits. His polyester suit was totally ruined and he was in shock. Before he could utter the words Your Fired. I looked up and said in a bold tone " I QUIT".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quincy21203. Show Quincy21203's posts

I worked at a courthouse and left on an unpaid leave of absence to work for a union.  Computers had just been placed in each courtroom for use.  There was no love loss between me and my boss.  When I left, I arranged for the computer to have a screensaver that read "Gone but not forgotten".  No one knew how to change the screensaver...they had to contact one of the judges who was familiar with computers.  Not very bad, but it drove my boss nuts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I worked at a Friendly's Ice Cream when I was in high school, and being the "good girl" I put up with the (marginally) older girls who had kids leaving early and the whole restaurant a mess for me.  After hours, you don't get tips, of course, so it was for $2/hr, too.  One night the manager, who always just sat in the back, never helping, came out and said how late it was and how I should hurry up.  I was the only one working!  It was an ice cream shop; it was always a big mess at the end of the night, and I'd just started.  I handed her the bucket and rag and told her maybe she could do a faster and better job herself.  I left her standing there with her mouth hanging open and never returned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beautmind64. Show beautmind64's posts

left dana farber after a manager told me during a meeting in a not so nice way  "I'm sending you a message"....(she was a poor manager with bad management skills, etc.) I decided it was enough and left that night and didn't return. Guess she got my message.

Boy she was red faced when the annoucement was made that I had quit...she knew why...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

I was working at a restaurant/bar.   Thrown into being manager, bartender and waitress.  It was a hot night in summer of 2008, the ac had been broken for months and the night before I told the boss about it and said that he had better get it fixed if he didn't want to lose clientelle.  The next day I came to work at 4pm it was 110 degrees in the bar and 135 in the kitchen.  People were walking in and walking right back out so when he called to "check in" I told him it was so hot we were losing customers and that I was at that time giving him my two week notice.  He told me to go take a fan from the kitchen!!!!!!!!  Anyway, he called me the day of my next shift and said no need for me to come back that he'd replaced me.  (with himself!)  His loss, he ended up losing the restaurant.  Should have listened!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Not exactly an "I quit" story, but an "I will never work for you again" story. After 9/11, business at my firm was severely impacted as in, the clients starting complaining about our over-charging for our professional services. In Feb., they laid off three managers, and I was one of them. I was a single mother, the other two were men, one with a new baby and his wife not working and the other with a child that had a very serious illness. Six months later, the megalomaniac managing partner asked me to come back. I told him that firing me was the best gift a boss had ever given me and that I would be eternally grateful that I'd only spent 2 years in that insane asylum. He was speechless and I hung up on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from northeastnostalgia. Show northeastnostalgia's posts

When I was eleven I had a paper route. I was so tired of it but I was afraid to tell my parents or my boss that I wanted to quit.
    I used to leave every morning,dump the newspapers and come back home in an hour. I did make sure that my immediate neighbors got their papers because I knew they would call my Mother not the Herald.
    They eventually fired me but the never took my collection book so I continued to do the collections for the next three weeks. I didn't mind that part of the job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Worked at a grocery store in high school. I was busy a lot with school stuff- played football, was on the debate team and on student council. Nonetheless- I always managed to give my boss my ENTIRE schedule for the upcoming month ahead of time.

Customers always knew me because of football, they'd see my name in the paper or see me at a game or whatever. So work was fun, chatting with people from my town and helping them out and talking sports. 

One Saturday after a game, that was a heartbreak loss, I came back on the bus and to the locker room to see over 5-6 missed calls with a bunch of voicemails... "Where are you, you are scheduled... I going to have to write you up... This is unacceptable.."

I was freaking out and went home to check my spreadsheet schedule I made for my work availability and surely enough- I asked off because of the game that day. All well in advance...

I called, got ahold of the dept. manager who immediately started chewing me out. I calmly let him know that I had requested off and that I hadn't been in to see the schedule because I didn't assume I would be working until Monday night after practice- like always. And also that I didn't pick up because I was an hour away at an away game.

He told me it was not his problem and if I was scheduled- I should have showed up no matter what. He then told me my schedule over the phone and that I was scheduled for the game NEXT week too and that he expected to see me bright and early.

I told him, sorry- I will be at the game and that I formally resign effective immediately. He goes- big words for a dumb jock... I kindly reply that I am attending our top ranked state university on a 50% academic scholarship and that dumb is a matter of perspective....

I immediately applied at the competing chain down the street, was hired and never had a scheduling problem again to the day I went away to school...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ally33. Show Ally33's posts

my wonderful boss had been forced out of her job by the minions of a sleeze wanting the position - he called me in soon after his ascension and told me if I "played ball" with him, I'd have no worries...if I didn't, he'd fire me.  I told him there would never be a moment in my life that I would "play" anything with him, let alone "ball" and he since he had absolutely no grounds whatsoever to fire me, he had better lay me off effective immediately - with a year's severance.  

thank you taxpayers!  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I loved your story. Good for you!
    Wish it would be that easy to fire some of my employees. Believe me to be an employer is not an easy thing at all. Too many restrictions, too many rules. The labor department is always siding with the employees no matter what. At least, that is what we found.
    One of our employee was stealing from us. Stealing equipment and selling for much less that it was worth. We found out, because he was trying to sell to one of our clients. Yeah, some people are really stupid.
    We fired him on the spot. The department came after us, b/c they said, he needed to steal as we were not paying him enough??? He was paid prevailing wages according to the books. I don't remember exactly what he was paid, but I know it was more than plenty, for what he was doing - and again it was an hourly rate set by the unions and the laws of MA. The case was eventually thrown out. We had all our payroll reports and other certifications to show in court. But it took time from us doing something better than sit in arbitration and also a pretty penny to pay our lawyer.
    Just as a side note. The guy had a nerve to ask us for a recommendation, when he was applying for a new job - at Walmart, I believe. Just how dumb can some people be?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that is just unbelievable.  What's wrong with this state?  It's nearly impossible to evict tenants, too, no matter WHAT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shutiggyupdotcom. Show shutiggyupdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Your 'I quit' stories:
    When I was eleven I had a paper route. I was so tired of it but I was afraid to tell my parents or my boss that I wanted to quit. I used to leave every morning,dump the newspapers and come back home in an hour. I did make sure that my immediate neighbors got their papers because I knew they would call my Mother not the Herald. They eventually fired me but the never took my collection book so I continued to do the collections for the next three weeks. I didn't mind that part of the job.
    Posted by northeastnostalgia

And that lazy, dishonest eleven year old boy grew up to be a Massachusetts, state employee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayinboston. Show rayinboston's posts

When I was eleven I had a paper route. I was so tired of it but I was afraid to tell my parents or my boss that I wanted to quit. I used to leave every morning,dump the newspapers and come back home in an hour. I did make sure that my immediate neighbors got their papers because I knew they would call my Mother not the Herald. They eventually fired me but the never took my collection book so I continued to do the collections for the next three weeks. I didn't mind that part of the job.
    Posted by northeastnostalgia

YOU'RE A THIEF!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayinboston. Show rayinboston's posts

I left the office after I threw my boss out of the 7th floor window....wonder if he made the fall?
    Posted by rayinboston

Nice, eh???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusgriswold. Show rusgriswold's posts

Nice one, kar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dumboni. Show Dumboni's posts

One day a co-worker tried to bum a cigarette from me.  It just so happened that the boss was walking by while I was saying "I quit".

He said, "Good - I never liked you anyway.  Now get outta here!"

So I left and started smoking again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KFitz422. Show KFitz422's posts

While working in a restaurant during college, I spoke with my manager two months ahead of time to request my 21st birthday off. The guy was always a huge jerk and hated by the rest of the staff. I repeatedly reminded him about it as the date approached. When the weekly schedule came out, there I was working the night of my birthday and the following morning. Furious, I came up with a plan...

I showed up for my shift as normal, but a bunch of my friends who were planning to take me out for my birthday sat at the bar. They asked to speak to the manager and said it was one of their friend's birthdays and they wanted the staff to sing happy birthday (this was one of those lame chains where they do that). The manager said sure and rounded up the staff. I went over to the bar and my friend ordered a round of tequilla shots as the manager showed up with the staff and started "happy birthday". About halfway through he realized he was singing for me and just stared as I took my shot, gave him the finger, and left. Needless to say, I never went back Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

I worked in a small machine shop, with highly skilled co-workers. The owner was a great guy and himself a first class machinist, so it was easy to get along. One day his son comes in and says he was now in charge of production and scheduling.
      He was about as qualified to do that as some street bum.  Since I was the lead machinist, I told dan the owner , it would never work, his son was a jerk and disruptive. Dan the good guy and pal to his workers, informed me his son was in charge and to stop bi#####. In a short time, the moral hit rock bottom,the jerk (his son) was causing  many problems. fedd up I represented the workers, and told dan he goes, or we go, he said , go I dont need  you guys. we all left, his company sank like a rock.  True story, I did well as did my co-workers. He went broke, wonder what happen to his dear little son?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

[QUOTE]I was working for Harvard Dining Services in the summer of 1969, I had been a short order cook and was asked to work in the pot room. No..not marijuana..... dirty crusty pots that cooked soup that hadn't been cleaned for days. Mr. Henschel, my boss, got a kick out of watching me scrub pots and came by, dressed as always in a pink polyester three piece suit. He came into the room with a crusted cookie sheet of bacon bits, grease and eggs. He threw it against the other pots and as I turned I was splattered with grease. He was standing there laughing when i picked up the tray and hit him over the head with all the greasy bacon bits. His polyester suit was totally ruined and he was in shock. Before he could utter the words Your Fired. I looked up and said in a bold tone " I QUIT".
    Posted by clash[/QUOTE]

LOL LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftOut. Show LeftOut's posts

My position was eliminated, and I was reassigned, but was wasting my time in a job that I could do nearly blindfolded.  I took a week's vacation, and dreaded the thought of going back to work (and would have needed to relocate permanently) from VT to RI.  So, I turned in my conditional resignation, with a month's notice, asking out of my current position into one that used my abilities.  I was then told about a position coming available, but then got no details.  After waiting two weeks with nothing more, I asked again waht was happening.  I was told indirectly that the details were coming the week after my notice was up.  I told my temporary immediate supervisor that he could consider me on vacation for the following week, and I'd make a decision once I got the details.   I knew I was being jerked around, and that if I was really wanted I'd get the information I needed. 

When I was asked what I was going to be doing, I replied  "I don't know, I'm just not going to be doing it here."   Drove the District Manager nuts that he didn't have me under his control.  Never heard back, and frankly wasn't disappointed or surprised. 

Fast Forward 3-4 months.  I had applied for a job in VT, and it turns out I was blackballed by my former boss, as it was an allied company, despite the fact that I worked out my notice, including 14 hours on my last day. 

I ended up getting the job anyway, because of a good personal recommendation from a current employee, and that old boss was let go. 

Ironically, later I nearly took a position with another company when my company closed its doors, and if I had taken it, my old boss would have become my boss again a month later.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariadnebelle. Show ariadnebelle's posts

When I gave my notice at the department store I was working for, my boss told me I had to submit that in writing. So I sent it on a postcard from Vegas. *g*

Sections
Shortcuts