1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Re: Your 'I quit' stories

I had a miserable job back in 2005 where my bosses blamed me for anything/everything under the sun.  Nearly every worker in this place was under great pressure from above.  I had given notice of my resignation to take effect in 2 weeks, but a few days later decided it wasn't worth losing my sanity.  I reckoned it was best to quit right then and leave an everlasting memory.  I slowly drove in front of the building, which had large windows overlooking the street and blasted my horn all while giving the "one fingered salute" with my ex-bosses faces pressed against the glass with a OMG look.Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love this!!  I had the same thing happen to me working for a hotel.  I requested a Holiday weekend off way ahead of time and kept reminding the manager.  Well, she played favorites and sure enough I was on the schedule.  She told me if I didn't like it, well too bad.  So 10 minutes before my shift at 3:00 that holiday weekend, I called and told them I quit.  I heard they had to make her come in and work since nobody else would.  Made my day : )

In Response to Re: Your 'I quit' stories:
    [QUOTE]While working in a restaurant during college, I spoke with my manager two months ahead of time to request my 21st birthday off. The guy was always a huge jerk and hated by the rest of the staff. I repeatedly reminded him about it as the date approached. When the weekly schedule came out, there I was working the night of my birthday and the following morning. Furious, I came up with a plan... I showed up for my shift as normal, but a bunch of my friends who were planning to take me out for my birthday sat at the bar. They asked to speak to the manager and said it was one of their friend's birthdays and they wanted the staff to sing happy birthday (this was one of those lame chains where they do that). The manager said sure and rounded up the staff. I went over to the bar and my friend ordered a round of tequilla shots as the manager showed up with the staff and started "happy birthday". About halfway through he realized he was singing for me and just stared as I took my shot, gave him the finger, and left. Needless to say, I never went back
    Posted by KFitz422[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CathiM. Show CathiM's posts

Back in 2006 I was an Executive Assistant to the President of a fairly large company in town.  My boss was a Stanford educated fancy pants kind of lady and she was also a nasty b*tch.  I had a serious illness in my family and my performance was not what it should be, I made mistakes, tried to rebound but could not.  When she had me in her office and she made me feel like I was 12 years old again sitting before the nuns, I knew I had enough, I left that Friday afternoon and never returned. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrashClark. Show CrashClark's posts

Once worked for a local restaurant chain while in college, let's call them Charley and Joe.  One evening I was on my way to work when there was an unexpected traffic back-up on 295 north near the Emerald Square Mall in North Attleboro due to road construction and a car accident.  Fast forward 20 minutes and I am walking into the kitchen, about 10 minutes late, and the restaurant manager (as most are, a real DB) starts yelling at me since I had missed some of the pre-shift discussion of the night's specials.  I calmly removed my apron, tossed it over his face and made my intentions known through a cavalcade of calmly uttered and carefully placed F-bombs.  I'll never be sure but as I wheeled and exited the kitchen, I though I heard some faint applause.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pkjm17. Show pkjm17's posts

On my last day, I put up the best 'Out of Office' E-mail reply ever...I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but it was something like this.

"Thank you for your e-mail. You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office, and no longer work here. If I was in, chances are you wouldn't have received anything at all. So, that means I will be unable to delete all the unread, worthless emails you send me, like I would have if I was in. I've run away to join a different circus, where I will actually get paid for the hours I work, and won't have to worry about manager changing my timecard on me. Oh, and for all questions/inquiries, please send them to (manager's email here)

I'm a free man!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowswithcoffee. Show cowswithcoffee's posts

I will preface this by saying that I was a very immature 16-year-old. I worked at a local movie theater, and as an employee I was allowed to get free movie tickets for myself and my family members. But what 16-year-old wants to go to the movies with his or her parents? I befriended some of the ticket sellers and got them to let me in with my friends and boyfriend. Management found out and verbally coached me to stop letting my friends in to movies for free. I filled out a resignation form giving my end date as two weeks from that day. In the field where I was supposed to put my reason, I wrote, "All of the managers here are a-holes (can't swear here I see). I'm quitting because there are no benefits to working here other than the measly pay you offer. Everybody here gets their friends in to movies for free." The head manager saw it and called me to her office, asking me if this was how I really felt. "Yes," I said. She was a bit taken aback by my unapologetic manner and responded, "Okay... I'm sorry you feel that way." I didn't finish out my two weeks. It was hard to find a job after that. How petty!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pkjm17. Show pkjm17's posts

[QUOTE]On another occasion at a different job I called my boss's judgement into question as he proposed to distribute product documentation as "Windows Help" files.  Again I objected vehemently and offered HTML as a counter-proposal.  He called me into his office and threatened me for calling out his poor judgement.  At the time he had a dissassmbled glock pistol on his desk and the threats came across as rather dramatic.  I found another job very soon thereafter.
    Posted by narfrolyat[/QUOTE]

"If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shellygreen. Show shellygreen's posts

[QUOTE]my wonderful boss had been forced out of her job by the minions of a sleeze wanting the position - he called me in soon after his ascension and told me if I "played ball" with him, I'd have no worries...if I didn't, he'd fire me.  I told him there would never be a moment in my life that I would "play" anything with him, let alone "ball" and he since he had absolutely no grounds whatsoever to fire me, he had better lay me off effective immediately - with a year's severance.   thank you taxpayers!  
    Posted by Ally33[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, we taxpayers are real grateful to pay your year's vacation.  hack.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyu. Show mikeyu's posts

I call BS on some of these...and also, most of these stories make me sick. No wonder why the economy is slipping, look at these nitwits that are in it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmail4privacy. Show gmail4privacy's posts

I worked for a small mfg company where an employee didn't quit. They gave the boss a box of chocolates at Christmas. Only, the boss decided to regift them to the secretarial staff who found the box was not filled with chocolate, but something the dog left behind. HAhaha. How fitting for him! The secretaries were outraged, to say the least.Yell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kayfbee. Show kayfbee's posts

Hot day, had to walk to work 'cause road was was blocked by parade. Fat cop told me not to touch his car when I leaned against it. Got to work, sweaty, pissed, went to get a soda and machine gave me a diet soda. Threw it as hard and as far as i could to cement wall outside office, booted computer and began to work and it logged off in 2 minutes. Computer problems all that week. Handed boss my keycard, said, "I quit," and walked out.
    Fired once at another job, made doll of boss complete with picture, stuck pins in area where his heart would be, if he had one, and a week or so later he was in hospital with punctured lung. REALLY. His kid hit him in chest with an elbow while driving to basket in pickup hoops game, broke ribs and punctured lung.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehatora1. Show mikehatora1's posts

RT @mikehatora: Do you think the Dry Erase Girl Makes The Jet Blue guy's quitting seem totally lame http://bit.ly/aLvbOo #fb

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from csaz. Show csaz's posts

A number of years ago, I worked for a woman who was, well, difficult, to say the least.  Her office conversations with me frequently began with "haven't you done that yet?" after having asked me to do something 3 minutes before.  Or she would ask me to research something, and I would find out, after working on it several hours, that she had done it herself, but hadn't said anything to me.  Going to work each day became a health challenge for me -- upset stomach, chest pains -- just for fear of what she would say. She frequently traveled, and one week when she was away, I decided I had had enough.  I finished my work, packed up all my keys, tidied up the office, and left the keys and a long resignation letter on her desk.  In the letter I described, in no uncertain terms, what a degrading, negative person she was to work for, and listed all the offenses and maltreatment she had subjected me to.  I mailed copies to two of her co-workers, walked out the door, and never went back.  She didn't find out until Monday, at about the same time as her colleagues were opening their copies of my letter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tsmith17. Show Tsmith17's posts

I remember in high school I was working at a Stop and Shop in Philadelphia.  A woman who was consistently late was fired one day.  Well she got the best of the management staff with her exit from the store.  She ran up and down the aisles knocking all of the items off the shelves.  It took two days to clean up the store and we had to close due to all of the broken glass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Realist1954. Show Realist1954's posts

Some of these posts are very sad in that show 1) How lame some people can be and 2) That they are dumb enough to tell everyone how lame they were and most likely still are.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NM90. Show NM90's posts

[QUOTE]left dana farber after a manager told me during a meeting in a not so nice way  "I'm sending you a message"....(she was a poor manager with bad management skills, etc.) I decided it was enough and left that night and didn't return. Guess she got my message. Boy she was red faced when the annoucement was made that I had quit...she knew why...
    Posted by beautmind64[/QUOTE]

Ah, good 'ol DFCI for top-notch workplace character!
    I had two situations at DFCI in my 5yrs there with people that were 'in charge of me' and used all kinds of quality management skills such as guilt, manipulation, lies and power-plays.  It was very sad, very disappointing, esp given I was a healthcare provider there (though not a doctor).
    And HR?  Useless--essentially sat there and made it clear there was nothing they could or would do--the docs there call the shots, despite bad behavior.
    In my years as a professional, I have never been so disheartened or felt so insulted as an employee. 
    I, too, had a final meeting where I was being treated so manipulatively and I stood up and said 'I think I'm all set here'--resigned that day.
    It is very sad that healthcare is like this, that people who use low-level management 'skills' (mind you, no MBA among any of them) to manage providers is scary. 
    I wouldn't recommend DFCI to anyone for a healthy workplace environment.
    Unless your the lead dog there, you are totally disposable and have no voice whatsoever.
    If you're ok w/ that, not a bad place to work, but any self-respecting person would never allow themselves to be subject to this type of treatment.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

[QUOTE]Hot day, had to walk to work 'cause road was was blocked by parade. Fat cop told me not to touch his car when I leaned against it. Got to work, sweaty, pissed, went to get a soda and machine gave me a diet soda. Threw it as hard and as far as i could to cement wall outside office, booted computer and began to work and it logged off in 2 minutes. Computer problems all that week. Handed boss my keycard, said, "I quit," and walked out. Fired once at another job, made doll of boss complete with picture, stuck pins in area where his heart would be, if he had one, and a week or so later he was in hospital with punctured lung. REALLY. His kid hit him in chest with an elbow while driving to basket in pickup hoops game, broke ribs and punctured lung.  
    Posted by kayfbee[/QUOTE]

1. Clearly, anger management issues.
    2. Making a voodoo doll of your boss in retaliation for your poor behaviour. (Odd)
    3. Bet you're having a hell of a time finding/keeping a new gig.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

I love the people who wrote "I calmly explained" "I quietly said" or pick your favourite "poor me" lines.  You know very well it didn't go down that way at all. hahaha!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Southpaw10. Show Southpaw10's posts

Someone wrote: Back in 2006 I was an Executive Assistant to the President of a fairly large company in town.  My boss was a Stanford educated fancy pants kind of lady and she was also a nasty b*tch....

I was once used as a punching bag in a female's office a while back; I supported her and my boss, VP of Marketing (another you-know-what as I later found out).  She was a VP acting like a child...(hands up to her hair like she was going to pull it out....please). I let her "punch me out" (I eventually left), but I will never allow anyone to do that to me ever again.  I've had several conversations with my current boss when I thought he was acting out of line..I even went to HR about him as well, and I've got notes on him and things he has said to me (dated) as in my last job in case I ever have to use them. I don't care if he's my current boss...I won't allow him to get away with anything as far as treatment goes. These people in these mgmt. positions think they're the cat's meow and can people badly if they want....well, not me. I will make sure it never happens again.

P.S. I took my notes (dated w/quotes) on my last boss and sent them to the president of the company (6 pages) along with a 4-pg. letter on anything else that wasn't included in my notes; I sent it to his home to be sure he got it, and he did.  And, I would do it again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I chose the classy way to make an exit...

Things had not been going well in my office.  Considerable stress; and good ol' reliable Maldenlady would pick up the slack.  Ergo, I got stressed and burned out, too...I submitted my letter of resignation, giving one month.

As part of my leaving, I worked out a manual for the position.  In part, because my employers truly did not have a *clue* about what my respopnsibilities were (just kept piling it on), and in part to help the next person who takes the job.  I had job description, and an in-depth section on *how to* do certain tasks, so that the next person could just read it, and follow the directions.  When I left, my employer said "we have never had anything like this!", as if the idea of duties being written down, and clear expectations, was a new concept.  I also made an effort to go out to lunch with as many of the people there as I could.  They all worked hard; we were all in the same boat...I figured if ya leave, and leave with class, that's the best revenge!

The point to my doing it this way, was to show them that they were losing someone who could have added a lot to the workplace...

The person who supervised me left shortly after I did, due to *his* burnout...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lslice06. Show lslice06's posts

Here's a crazy story...I worked for a horrible boss who said obnoxious things to all my co-workers,  inappropriate things to the female staff, and had way too high expectations of us; everyone who worked for him hated him. I was no longer happy working for him, so I decided to find another position.

I gave a three week notice, worked diligently until the end, and gave some suggestions in my exit interview suggested by myself.

Some people don't understand that when a person quits on the spot in a fit of rage,  it affects not only to the supervisor, but the colleagues (and customers if applicable) as well. No ones job is made easier by someone leaving employ in an unreasonable and immature fashion.  Also, it eliminates a reference. Burning bridges is hardly ever a good idea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I love the people who wrote "I calmly explained" "I quietly said" or pick your favourite "poor me" lines.  You know very well it didn't go down that way at all. hahaha!!!
    Posted by LeasyII[/QUOTE]

I really did simply tell my boss at Friendly's that maybe she could clean everything up faster herself as I handed her the bucket and walked out.  Sure, I wanted to dump the bucket over her head, but I was glad I didn't because years later I had to answer a gov't clearance question, "Have you ever left a job under negative circumstances.  If yes, describe."   I suppose the feds got a good laugh out of my high school ice cream shop experience, but I was 100% honest about it!

The newspaper boy story should have been way too embarrassing to share, by the way, even in an anonymous forum!

Sections
Shortcuts