1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbab. Show jonbab's posts

Your money-saving tips

This woman spent $11,000 on a new kitchen and she's "frugal"? Guess that word means something different to the Globe than it does to me. This article is ridiculous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from annief48. Show annief48's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]Feed the dog spaghetti and other table scraps instead of expensive dog food.

Send e-cards instead of greeting cards.

Attend high school and college sporting events rather than pros.[/Quote]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from annief48. Show annief48's posts

Your money-saving tips

Feed the dog table scraps? Very likely a false economy, as the dog's eventual veterinarian bills will surpass your savings.
    Dogs' dietary needs are not the same as for people. Do a little research to at least find out what foods may be acceptable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from annief48. Show annief48's posts

Your money-saving tips

I've switched to paying bills through our bank's electronic site. No more stamps and envelopes, no late payments (or late fees) and I can pay bills at 2 a.m. if I want to. It's far more convenient, fast and allows me to see everything I'm paying in one place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cawag98. Show cawag98's posts

Your money-saving tips

Cutting utility, heating and car costs are the big 'variable' fixed costs for my family:

Cable: Do you need it? - try the new Digital over the air boxes. No NECN, but very good channels, including 4 PBS. If you do need cable, consider the 'basic access' $12 service. They try to hide it from you, but it's available.

Electricity: Buy the compact flourescent lights for nearly every lamp in your house. Big savings. You can get the lamps for $1-2 a piece sometimes.

Heat: Oil - use massenergy.com or negotiate with your oil company to get a rate similar to the massenergy rate which is about NYMEX+65 cents. Water: Turn down the hot water temp. Make sure to use programmable thermostadt and set it to low 60s at night and when you're away. A/C just when you really really need it.

Telephone: Switch to vonage or other VOIP phone if you have a fast internet connection - usually need the $45/mo cable internet for this. Vonage has a cheapo plan for folks that only make 100 minutes of calls. Other services that I don't like so much like Majic Jack, Skype etc are out there but require your PC to be on to work, ick.

Car: If you have more than one, consider getting rid of one and using public transit/zipcar for the times when one isn't enough. Or consider getting rid of fire/theft/collision on your cars insurance, especially if the replacement value of your car is low enough that you could easily replace it from your cash horde.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuxedomartini. Show tuxedomartini's posts

Your money-saving tips

I began using my Paypal card for every single purchase I make, including paying bills like Comcast and my cell phone. Why? They give me 1.5% cash back on every single purchase and it instantly hits my account instead of waiting for an end of the year payment like other companies do. I expect to have a few extra hundred dollars to my name just by utilizing this little trick for '09.

There are many other frugal ways I save money but most have already been mentioned. I can't stress this one enough, BUY GENERIC!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuxedomartini. Show tuxedomartini's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]This woman spent $11,000 on a new kitchen and she's "frugal"? Guess that word means something different to the Globe than it does to me. This article is ridiculous.[/Quote]You obviously have never remodeled anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUBEPRO. Show LUBEPRO's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]Feed the dog spaghetti and other table scraps instead of expensive dog food.

Send e-cards instead of greeting cards.

Attend high school and college sporting events rather than pros.[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GarySmiley. Show GarySmiley's posts

Your money-saving tips

Don't drink bottled water. Tap water is perfectly OK.
    Don't smoke. Why pay big bucks to poison yourself?
    If you're going to drink, don't go out to drink in a bar.
    Make your coffee at home too, if you can.
    Get your news from the Internet, not a newspaper (sorry, Globe!)
    Don't gamble. Don't buy lottery tickets. You'll lose in the long run.
    Don't buy CDS- the music is so bad it's not worth it.
    Only buy new clothes when your old clothes have worn out.
    Don't try to keep up with your neighbor- it's a stupid game.
    Don't buy something you don't need or don't want, just because it's cheap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CCMBiz. Show CCMBiz's posts

Your money-saving tips

Learn lost arts like sewing and canning.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msbean. Show msbean's posts

Your money-saving tips

How about shop at Market Basket rather than the big chains...we started saving $40 a week for a family of 4...it's an easy switch because we have one close by and they carry tons of products just not the complete variety you might find at a bigger chain...really though the food quality is just as good.

Here's a great example:
    We usually buy 2-3 gallons of milk a week. The store brand at Shaws or Stop & Shop is 2.99 on a promotion, seems like it's lasting forever though, at Market Basket 2.39 for the same milk...so it seems silly what's 1.80 a week, nothing really but over the month it's about $6...tell me that's not worth it.

Also, plan your meals ahead and go with a list!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlkrgr. Show mlkrgr's posts

Re: Your money-saving tips

I actually always use my credit card (I never go over my limit and always pay in full every month). The rewards add up and I'm in a much better situation financially than I would be if I always pay with cash or check because of the rewards. Also, I open new cards that have good promotional offers. The $100 bonus cash that I get from intro offers is a lot of money and every little bit helps these days.

BTW, I have never ever paid the CC companies any fees. If anything, they are losing money on me. I take advantage of small balance credits (if my balance is $.99 or less at Chase or $1.99 or less at Discover, my balance gets wiped out). That's not much, but every little bit counts.

And I agree with the above post that Stop and Shop and Shaws is more $$ than Market Basket. I'll add to that by saying that every one I have been in, they either mess up the quality of the fresh product or you are waiting a long time for the deli and the checkout. I have found that Hannaford is about the same price vs Market Basket when you average everything out from everything that I buy in a grocery store and the wait times are nowhere near what Market Basket is at. Plus, I think Hannaford sells better products.

Also, another one is shop at Trader Joes vs any other store. I have seen products that are so much cheaper than you can every buy it at a conventional supermarket, and a lot of the pricing is still cheaper than Hannaford and Market Basket. For example, they sell boxes of Barbaras Puffins that are 50% bigger than the size carried at any conventional supermarket and the price is $.50 less than Market Basket, $.70 less than Hannaford, and the savings is even a lot more vs Stop and Shop and Shaws. Bananas at $.19 each are pretty good savings since bananas typically are 1/2 pound each or a little less than that so its like paying about $.40/$.45 per pound.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

* Get over that hang up about metered service. In most cases it is cheaper than unmetered service. Study your usage first.

* Get a slower cable or DSL connection. I don't do video. I haven't got the patience. Reading is much faster. Even if you do a little video, a slower connection is plenty good enough. Get Firefox and use the selective FlashBlock addon.

* Buy CDs. Some of the music is bad, but some is great. Stick to the kind that doesn't go out of date, like classical and jazz.

* = /> Join the point-A-to-point-B school of motoring. If you're in a mid-life crisis, walking long distances is sooo much more youthful than the kind of a car driven by a pudgy balding accountant.

* Get rid your TV. If you're not constantly bombarded by ads, you won't know about the 10,000 new absolute necessities, you didn't even know existed.

* Don't believe the anti-smoking wackos. Tobacco is not as addictive as heroin. It's far easier to quit smoking thatnyou probably think. I speak from experience. The sooner you quit, the more you'll save, and you'll get a BIG increase in stamina in only a few months.

* Don't feed your dog spaghetti. Dogs are canivores. They evolved to eat only meat. To save BIG bucks, don't get a dog.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusgriswold. Show rusgriswold's posts

In Response to Your money-saving tips:
    Make all your own meals. Don't use frozen dinners. Make pancakes the night before and just heat them up in the microwave for a good breakfast. Make everything from scratch instead of using cake mixes. At first it seems too time consuming, but after awhile you get used to it. I make all my own cookies for the kids from scratch not mixes.
    Posted by amgw

This works.  I recommend it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

For Dual Income Households (DIH), talk.  Once a week, normally sunday night we talk about the week ahead. We discuss our schedules, plan our meals, see what bills are due, and discuss the Art of Money.  

When it comes o money we've got a Mars Vs.Venus type of money communications thing going on.  He says, she says, type of thing. I need exact numbers, she needs exact intuition.  So the cash flow conversation sounds like we are discussing Art. The nature of the conversation falls between Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World or a Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post cover. Somehow, within this brief Art of Money conversation I am reminded of what a beautiful person she is and how lucky we to have each other.          

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WVW. Show WVW's posts

Wow - y'all are the life of the party aren't you?? Feeding spaghetti to your dog?? Really?? Wouldn't you save more money by eating the spaghetti yourself as leftovers saving the cost of an entire meal, and giving your pooch dog food?? In fact, if $$ is that tight you should probably allow someone else who can afford to feed it to adopt the dog.

I have no debt, I don't spend money I don't have, I live way below my means (nothing special salary-wise) but I sure like to focus on the things I can do instead of the things I can't. Reading this was depressing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm hoping the table scrap idea was a joke, but if it was serious, just know you'll spend a lot more on a dog in the long run if you feed him table scraps due to health problems unless you get rid of him when he starts costing you all your dog food savings at the vet's office.  It's been linked with canine obesity and cancer for examples.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The Money Show with Rick Shaffer & Susan Kaplan   Is going off the air due to format changes at 96.9 FM WTKK    :(      

check this link to find out where they end up      www.bestmoneyinfo.com

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moneysaverguy. Show moneysaverguy's posts

#7: It might be worth a second of your time to check out http://thecheapeststorageintown.com so you can save as much money as possible on what can be a unexpectedly overpriced fixed expense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bankernews. Show bankernews's posts

also buy bundle packages so you can save money!

www.bankernews.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyBrook. Show RandyBrook's posts

Those are pretty good money saving tips ,well i have only one tips for money saving ,"Self Control" ,if you have that you can surely save money ,in fact in Finland many paid their loan or vippi because of having self control ,they reduce their personal expenses like shopping ,drinking ,smoking etc which they manage well their debt and hope everybody will learn that in order to paid all their debt and reduce the day of paying.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.