1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andreasm. Show andreasm's posts

Your money-saving tips

We have been incorporating many money-saving tips for several years. Here are a few:

1. Bring your lunch to work most days. Not only does this save a lot of money, it is usually much more healthy than trying to find good options while ravenously searching for something. I save splurges for occasional lunch dates with friends.

2. Turn the heat down to 60 at night and add a down-altnerative blanket to your bed.

3. We have no credit card debt. I learned my lesson long ago, and I don't ever want to go there again.

4. I don't make a single purchase without really, really thinking about it, no matter how small or large. I am always so surprised, a day or two later, how grateful I am that I didn't buy something. And if I did buy it, I almost never regret it. If I do regret it, I return it.

5. Cook at home.

6. Get rid of the AC unless your home is like an oven. If you are in a position to install ceiling fans, they almost always cool or move the air around enough to make it bearable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwilliams81. Show dwilliams81's posts

Your money-saving tips

Buy checks for your checking account at Checks Unlimited 1-800-210-0468. A box of 125 one part checks including delivery is about $14.00. I always place my order by mail because by mail I can order just one box. By phone or internet the minimum order is 2 boxes. I'm not sure what the bank is charging these days for checks but I'm pretty sure its more expensive and the service at Checks Unlimited is very good and the designs are attractive. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillen1. Show stillen1's posts

Your money-saving tips

we've been real good about turning off lights when we're not in a room. I've replaced all our bulbs with energy effcient flouresent compaqs. The computers are now turned off with a power strip . We've saved over 25 dollars a month in electicity..

We also cut the cord on our land line phone... $55.00 a month savings...

we've been buying store brand items, why not they taste the same..

thermostat is down to 60 at night, we've even bought one of thosr programable ones. never again forget to turn off heat while we're not at home.

i only let the cars idle for five minutes max in the morning when its cold..

I make my own "snack cakes" ..

CUT out the soda and drink flavored water.... I've lost weight and took a dent out of my grocery bill...

the cable tv has been brought down tot he basic digital channels... ever since Sopranos ended we havent once watched HBO.

I bought this sealer for our windows from Home depot... no more leaks around the windows.. i thnk it cost 2 bucks.. and the now the furnace doesnt turnon nearly as much.

after dinner is cooked, I leave the oven cracked to heat the house a bit.

Wash laundry in cold water, they even have a detergent for it... In the summer i plan to hang my clothes out on a line, no need to run the expensive dryer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiero. Show chiero's posts

Your money-saving tips

Feed the dog spaghetti and other table scraps instead of expensive dog food.

Send e-cards instead of greeting cards.

Attend high school and college sporting events rather than pros.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snicks62. Show snicks62's posts

Your money-saving tips

No prepared foods ever, eat leftovers until they are gone.

Laundry and dishes once per week. Cold water for laundry.

No meals out.

Buy all non-perishables for 3 mos. at B.J.'s and store.

Paid off charge cards - never use them.

Opened a savings account without a debit card or any easy way to access it, any spare change/money goes into that account.

Cut/highlight my own hair saving at least 150.00 every 8 weeks.

Plastic on the outside of the windows cutting down on heating leaks.

All lights off unless that room is being used. Cut down on electric 40.00 per month.

Eat very small meals and only 2 per day.

I rarely make a purchase that isn't food/house/utility related or absolutely necessary and when I don't make it, the money I would have spent goes into the untouchable savings account.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwilliams81. Show dwilliams81's posts

Your money-saving tips

If your credit card company bills you for an annual fee (typically $50), call and politely ask them to take off the fee. The one time they wouldn't take off the fee, I called back a week later and politely said I wanted to cancel the card. They said "Why?" and I told them I didn't want to pay the fee and that I had other cards that weren't charging a fee. They removed the fee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwilliams81. Show dwilliams81's posts

Your money-saving tips

Get a subscription to Consumer Reports magazine (or look at it at the library). They rate everything from laundry detergent to automobiles. The best isn't always the most expensive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsample. Show samsample's posts

Your money-saving tips

Similar to saving coins, commit to never spending $5 billis. If you get on in change, toss it aside. That adds up quickly.

@cherio: feeding a dog nothing but table scraps is a very bad idea. Dogs need a balanced dietl, too. It's a different balance than a balanced diet for people, but if they're not getting full nutrition, it can be very bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGal72. Show BostonGal72's posts

Your money-saving tips

Take inventory of what you've already got, especially when it comes to groceries. You would be amazed by what you have double bought.

With that being said, spend a few minutes when putting together your shopping list. If you make a list of meals that you will be making during the week, you will be less likely to order out. Make sure these meals are easy to make; otherwise, I find I tend to whimp out at the last moment and order out.
    Also, automate everything.
    For example:
    * Lighting - Use monition sensors for outdoor lights. For Christmas lights, use timers.
    * Heating - Set your heat to go down during the evening and during the day. * Banking - Automate your 401K payments, 529 payments and savings. The less you see in your checking account the less likely you will spend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjudkins32. Show mjudkins32's posts

Your money-saving tips

sell unwanted items on ebay or craigslist. go through your closet and garage and find those old items that could be of good use to someone else, but are just collecting dust for you. Not always a cash cow, but every $5-10 helps.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rambamrmm. Show rambamrmm's posts

Your money-saving tips

Open an ING type savings account on line, then transfer the coupon and store card savings each week. I started this last year and transferred over $1000. Just goes to show that coupons really DO add up!

Cook extra so that you have leftovers for lunch the next day.

Install a water filter or use a filtered pitcher instead of buying bottled water. Good for the wallet and the environment. Will really add up when they start tacking 5 cent bottle deposits on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teg3. Show teg3's posts

Your money-saving tips

When you finish paying something off (i.e. car payment), keep making the payment to yourself on the same schedule. Transfer/pay the money into a savings account. You'll be surprised how quickly this adds up. Plus, you'll have a down payment or more the next time you buy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wagbuddy. Show wagbuddy's posts

Your money-saving tips

Use prepaid cell phone plans... Compare them at cellguru.net. While some are willing to live without one, I consider 2-3 bucks per month on a cell phone plan well spent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from herename. Show herename's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]Feed the dog spaghetti and other table scraps instead of expensive dog food. ...

please be sure to give your dog a daily vitamin so s/he gets important nutrients that normally come in dog food.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from enlighttened1. Show enlighttened1's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]If your credit card company bills you for an annual fee (typically $50), call and politely ask them to take off the fee. The one time they wouldn't take off the fee, I called back a week later and politely said I wanted to cancel the card. They said "Why?" and I told them I didn't want to pay the fee and that I had other cards that weren't charging a fee. They removed the fee.[/Quote]

=============

We've done this four times now. Works every time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from enlighttened1. Show enlighttened1's posts

Your money-saving tips

- If you owe more than $1,000 on your credit cards and have the money in savings, pay it off. A card with even a 7.99% rate is much worse than trying to hold onto savings making 3% or less.
    - My wife, the financial genius, worked it so we paid off the car in one year instead of five, saving us $5,800 in interest
    - Can't remember the last time she bought something without a coupon or wasn't on sale.
    - My only big "fun" expense in the past two years was a motorcycle, but we waited and saved and paid cash. When you're standing there with cash the dealer is MUCH more likely to bargain with you. Saved over $1,000 plus interest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joyce777. Show Joyce777's posts

Your money-saving tips

Use up stuff, and don't let stuff go to waste:

- Use a binder slip on toothpaste to use up the last of the toothpaste.
    - Let the last of the shampoo / conditioner / liquid soap / dish detergent / laundry detergent drain into the next bottle.
    - For foods that you only use a portion of (broth, tomato paste), freeze portions in an ice cube tray, and put the frozen cubes into a bag in the freezer, then only thaw the portions you need.
    - Don't let food go bad. Organize your fridge so that perishables are in one place where you see them all the time.
    - Find other uses for things - freezer-burned meat can be used in stews.
    - If your produce always goes bad, buy different produce -- stop making fresh salad if you never use it up, eat oranges instead of bananas, etc.
    - Learn simple sewing techniques from a friend or relative (sewing on buttons, closing opened seams, small patch jobs).
    - Trade one of your skills fixing things with someone else's.
    - Trade money-saving tips with friends.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Freddyr34. Show Freddyr34's posts

Your money-saving tips

If you get a letter with an uncancelled stamp, soak it off and re-use it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mes700. Show mes700's posts

Your money-saving tips

Many times, you can get warranty repairs/replacements without having the original sales receipt. If you charged the purchase or belong to the stores freq buyer program, at many of the national chain stores they can search for the purchase and print out a new receipt on the spot. This can then be used to get warranty service.

Even if you don't have a receipt, you can sometimes get store credit. LL Bean has one of the best satisfaction guarantees I've ever scene. If you have something with there name on it and it wears out or breaks, they will replace it or issues a store credit, if you don't have a receipt. BTW, it may not matter how old it is. While LL Bean might be a little more expensive in the short term, the investment can pay off in the long term.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mes700. Show mes700's posts

Your money-saving tips

One more thing: I don't recall anyone mentioning these two website:

http://www.fatwallet.com
    http://www.slickdeals.net

People post great deals they have found on these sites for everyone check out. I'd saved a lot of $$$ by using this sites.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Talleyrand. Show Talleyrand's posts

Your money-saving tips

I live in Europe, so things might be a little different:

In my house I installed a wood-cooking stove, heats the place, boils water and I can cook with it (esp. good savings ´when making jams and pickles) . I use cast-out wood in it, or I go to the forest (hiking, walking...) with a big back pack.

Often, the hot-water faucet is on the left side.... Rightwanded people will automatically turn it on. Switch them around...

Switch off lights and use low-energy bulbs.... I bought 8 bulbs for places where lights tend to be on for long periods: office, kitchen, living room) : cost about 65 $, a year later, the utility company sent me a check for unused electricity: 290 $.

Bicycle instead of car... great savings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Talleyrand. Show Talleyrand's posts

Your money-saving tips

One more tip: Stop wanting so much. 75% of the stuff we have is a waste. Make your home a marketing free zone, dump television. It uses electricity and it's whole raison d'etre is to sell advertising... Learn an instrument, macramé, origami, whatever... it's all cheaper than playing the gogglebox game...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from espressolover. Show espressolover's posts

Your money-saving tips

I used to buy all my books through Amazon... now I reserve them online at the library through the Minuteman Library Network and have them delivered to the library of my choice (near home or work) for pickup. You sometimes have to wait for the latest book but that's OK, it's free. You can also search for and reserve DVDs for pickup. Again, not always the 'new releases' but it's free (although some libraries, such as in Arlington, charge $1 for DVD rentals).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LNXQ42. Show LNXQ42's posts

Your money-saving tips

[Quote]Feed the dog spaghetti and other table scraps instead of expensive dog food.

Send e-cards instead of greeting cards.

Attend high school and college sporting events rather than pros.[/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brucemky1. Show Brucemky1's posts

Your money-saving tips

Never buy prepared meals at the grocery store. Make cooking meals an enjoyable experience.

Make meals, from dried beans. There are many varieties and they are much better and less expensive than canned versions.

For certain meals, such as soups, stews, casseroles, make enough for several meals and freeze.

Don't waste water, especially hot water. When taking a shower turn the water off when soaping up. Don't run water when shaving or brushing teeth.

Walk or ride a bike to places instead of driving your car

If you have kids, buy an inexpensive kite and go to a park where you can fly it. Take a bike ride with the kids, or even just a walk in the woods.

Make something with the kids. Make cookies! Make crafts! Get books from the library and learn something creative with them. Have you ever tried origami?

Most of these activities require that you cut the cord to the TV. The only thing a TV does is teach kids to want expensive toys, or want unhealthy expensive meals.