1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tablets good in direct sunlight

Hi, folks,

Doing a little research on an e-reader versus a more capable tablet.  I'm only interested here regarding their ability to clearly display e-books in the sun.  I've heard iPad fails utterly in this regard.  Are there any that, um, shine?  Ha!

TIA!!

~kar

ETA:  I'm starting to think that if a big purpose of the tablet will be outdoor reading of books one might have to settle for an e-reader instead of a tablet.  Someone prove me wrong?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Tablets good in direct sunlight

I really need some help here, if anyone knows - my FIL's birthday is the 9th, and we're thinking about an e-reader.  He lives in FL with lots of balconies so he'd be using it out there all the time.  We'd like to get him a more powerful tablet, but not if he can't read, the main reason we want to get it for him, outside in the bright sun.  

Anyone know?

Thanks!!  Sorry to have to bump this up somewhat obnoxiously, but I'm super anxious for help...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

i wish I could help Kar : (  I don't have a tablet or an e-reader.  Would love either one though.  Can someone in Best Buy or places like that give you advice?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, you want a kindle, not the Kindle Fire as they has a differect screen technology.  You can read it in direct sunlight (as I have).  I love mine.  The technology is called e-ink, it's just like reading a book.  However, it doesn't have a back light, so if he will be using it in a dark room, he will need one of the cases with a light.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SWEET!  Thanks - that's exactly what I got.  Ran out of time before I saw this, but so glad it matches what we did (phew!).  I researched like mad and got the Kindle 3G wifi with keyboard.  My FIL has wide fingers which was a problem for a lot of wide-fingered people regarding the touch screen.

Thanks, ladies!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's the one I have.  Might have gotten a Tuoch but there weren't out when I got mine.