1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wille-B-Hartigan. Show Wille-B-Hartigan's posts

Re: Your airline delay stories

I just get in my car and drive.  No lines, no $26 day to park, no security, bring what you  want and no cramped airplane seats.   ( the drive to the carribean is a bit challenging however)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblboston. Show dblboston's posts

I think you forgot continental on this list.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Yes   Continental is missing   as is Virgin America   don't they fly to Logan ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tikva. Show tikva's posts

Northwest: If it's got a red tail, it's faster by rail!

(Hey, I didn't actually need to get to my grandfather's funeral or anything).

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I remember sitting for 2 hours in Washington one time waiting for my commuter flight to take off for Newark. The problem? The Flight Attendant called in sick, and it took two hours to find a substitute and have her get to the plane.  They claimed FAA rules don't let a plane fly without at least one attendant to direct things in case of an emergency.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtremitiere. Show dtremitiere's posts

This list would be a lot more useful if commuter airlines were included with their parent carriers.  For example, I bet very few people who flew on ExpressJet have ever heard of them -- since they operate as Continental Express.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnden. Show johnden's posts

Individual airline horror stories are of no use to anyone.  Kudos to the globe for getting the averages over lots of flights.  I hear "I'll never fly XXX again" so much, but it really is just stupidity to think that after one experience.  An individual experience has little bearing on what will happen in the future.  An on-time percentage over thousands of flights does matter.

That said, it is also important to realize that the major airlines are not "parent" to the smaller ones.  They just handle customer service and marketting.  The regional airlines are run in many ways as seperate entities and deserve to be seperated.  Kind of like when you buy an armani sweater from a store ... the store is not the "parent" of armani.  If you read the side of the airplane it will say who operates it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from basildave. Show basildave's posts

Instead of discussing which airline has the worst on-time records, why not an article that investigates which have the worst maintainence records or safety records?  After all, would you rather get there late or alive?  For example Delta has not had a major crash since 1985...  and it's last fatality, was in 1998 to a ground crew member (who fell under a wheel).  Continential (through their local carriers) has had two fatal accidents since 2001 and Comair has had one major one.  I will fly on Delta, who hasn't killed a plane-load of people for the last 25 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jayarr. Show jayarr's posts

i usually have delay flights if somethings going on with the country. like the bad weather and other thing is if theres a major prablem the countries facing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AwesomeCatwoman. Show AwesomeCatwoman's posts

In Response to Re: Your airline delay stories:
    [QUOTE]Northwest: If it's got a red tail, it's faster by rail! (Hey, I didn't actually need to get to my grandfather's funeral or anything).
    Posted by tikva[/QUOTE]

Northwest doesn't exist any more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AwesomeCatwoman. Show AwesomeCatwoman's posts

[QUOTE]I remember sitting for 2 hours in Washington one time waiting for my commuter flight to take off for Newark. The problem? The Flight Attendant called in sick, and it took two hours to find a substitute and have her get to the plane.  They claimed FAA rules don't let a plane fly without at least one attendant to direct things in case of an emergency.
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]
    It's not a claim; it's true. The FAA requires a certain number of flight attendants per passenger capacity of the aircraft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AwesomeCatwoman. Show AwesomeCatwoman's posts

I'm on the flip side of this: I'm the airline employee who has to deal with all of this. That's my nightmare.

Part of the problem is that when there's a massive storm like this that hits the entire east coast over a period of 3 days, crews and aircraft are stranded in odd locations; it takes a while to get everything repositioned, which is why you're still seeing the odd cancellation. It's not that easy to simply call for an "extra" airplane or order up a fresh flight crew. (We get that request a lot--"Just get another plane! I need to get there!) Basically, in order to get that "extra" plane, another flight somewhere must be sacrificed. Then you incovenience even more passengers. The airlines simply don't have "extra" planes lying around. And although there are crews on reserve, in situations like this, we use up all the reserves. Or we might have a plane, but no available crew qualified to fly that aircraft. In the meantime, I just work the line, do what I can with what's available, and call "Next!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AwesomeCatwoman. Show AwesomeCatwoman's posts

[QUOTE]Individual airline horror stories are of no use to anyone.  Kudos to the globe for getting the averages over lots of flights.  I hear "I'll never fly XXX again" so much, but it really is just stupidity to think that after one experience.  An individual experience has little bearing on what will happen in the future.  An on-time percentage over thousands of flights does matter. That said, it is also important to realize that the major airlines are not "parent" to the smaller ones.  They just handle customer service and marketting.  The regional airlines are run in many ways as seperate entities and deserve to be seperated.  Kind of like when you buy an armani sweater from a store ... the store is not the "parent" of armani.  If you read the side of the airplane it will say who operates it.
    Posted by johnden[/QUOTE]

Also, when you read your ticket information, it will say "operated by."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momiofthree. Show momiofthree's posts

My son was trapped in London during that nightmare last week - the most effective way to get data that was current and true was via TWITTER. I was never a big fan before but I learned of cancelletions there first and was able to get in line ( via phone) ahead of the masses.

He was stranded 4 days - kudos to Continental for working with me to get him home before Christmas via Houston to Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmierz. Show bmierz's posts

My Son had a 7:30 flight to LAX last nite, he intended to take commuter rail (Stoughton Line) to SSTATION , then Silver to Logan, the 4:30pm train never showed up, after checking mbta.com, found the train was cancelled, picked my son back up at Canton  Junction Station at 5:20pm, made the drive, rush hour, and 95/128 Canton to Expressway Jammed, Expressway jammed to Neponset, listening to WBZ for reports really helped but the time was getting short, my son tried to reach JetBlue but kept getting disconnected , tried to re-book online from the car but next available flight was next Tuesday. Traffic broke at Savin  Hill, made it to the airport terminal at 6:50pm, I circled the airport til my son got thru security and headed back home. His plane didnt depart until 9:30, but according to eveything online , cuz we had no person to talk with ; was flight on time for 7:30 departure. Not a night mare but enough stress on the drive and oh yeah ... thanks MBTA another dependable option when the snow flies

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from turtletrot1. Show turtletrot1's posts

Even the day before airlines were not taking phone calls.  Automatic message directing to on line.....and no response there either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmw1961. Show tmw1961's posts

Re: Your airline travel horror stories

If the author did some research he would have found that airfares over the last 30 years have dropped by 400% vs. inflation. Thanks to deregulation the airlines rarely make money, and employees make half of what they use to. No wonder no one is happy. The only positive now is that because it's cheaper, more people can fly. You get what you pay for! and you're not paying much. My airline lost 12 Billion over the last decade, what do you expect from that bottom line.
     Stop bitching or take the bus.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I had to chuckle at the category of "charges for excessive baggage."

Apparently one bag is now considered "excessive."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from calilregit. Show calilregit's posts

Re: Relatively speaking, airlines do a good job at a good price

I have had my horror stories (in short, avoid O'Hare), but, relatively speaking, airlines do a good job at a good price.  The one service I wish they would restore is booking people that are are on delayed or cancelled flights onto other carriers so we can get to where we need to be. You don't see that any more.

As for airline workers, they put up with more hassles from customers and their managers today then they did in the past and they make less. Airline customer service representatives at check-in almost always do a good job.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zhastings83. Show zhastings83's posts

I was delayed for 5 hours flying from Brisbane to Bangkok because "a panel on the left-wing had fallen off" during the pre-flight check.  This was about two weeks after we'd heard of a Thai Airways plain that crashed because it's landing gear collapsed when it touched down.  Very comforting!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zhastings83. Show zhastings83's posts

Oh and I was also on the flight from Boston to LA a few years back that almost side-swiped a FedEx plane taking off at Logan, had to abort take-off and went up on two wheels attempting to avoid a collision.  This was on the first leg of a long trip to Australia, so not the best way to start off a 28 hour trip!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

Scary runway, Hudson River, hands down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ombud. Show ombud's posts

Wait, the Globe says Nantucket is one of the world's ten scariest airports because planes often make instrument landings there in fog? That's nonsensical. Planes make instrument landings at hundreds of New England airports (tens of thousands worldwide). At nearby Logan, suitably equipped planes can land even if you can't see the runway from ten feet away--which is typical for major airports, but not possible at smaller ones like Nantucket. Terrible journalism--not even trying for accuracy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Heart stopping, nerve wracking turbulence. The kind of turbulence where your life flashes before your eyes and you get sick on the person next to you because there was no barf bag or you didn't have time to get it.

Other than that, screaming children kicking my seat. Nothing makes a child stop what they are doing faster than a complete stranger who turns in their seat and stares at the child while telling the adult in a calm voice "If that child doesn't stop kicking my seat and screaming, there's an emergency exit. We'd hate to see you leave in a hurry, don't make me use it."  Peace and quiet for the rest of the flight, aah!!Yell

For the most part, I've never had a problem with airline personnel that couldn't be resolved on the ground or in the air. Cool