1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmsmitty. Show wmsmitty's posts

Re: MAC or PC

In Response to MAC or PC:
    Hi,  I'm considering replacing my 5 year old PC with a new machine. Trying to decide to go MAC or PC, for the primary purpose of editing my photos. How about some good suggestions?  Thanks..
    Posted by boscom56

In response, there is no perfect answer. Pro Mac people will say Mac and pro PC will say PC. 

Personally, my imaging experiences have run smoother on MAC than a PC. But I'm am more comforatable with a windows environment on a PC.

MAC's seem geared up to give a much more pleasant user experience when working with photos and  video streaming over a windows enviroment. However, if you've been using a PC for the last 5 years, I'd say stay within your comfort zone. Why try and learn a new operating system when you can pretty much get the same results on a system you are already familiar with?

On a monetary level; PC's are much cheaper. Hope this helps!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfpack94. Show wolfpack94's posts

Ford vs. Chevy, Gino's vs. Pat's, etc etc.

Whichever one you're more comfortable with is probably the one to get. My wife has a MacBook Pro, I have a custom built PC; she prefers hers and I prefer mine. Neither of us has any problem running CS5, LR3 or any other program we use for editing that I can think of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ivebeanthere. Show ivebeanthere's posts

In Response to MAC or PC:
    [QUOTE]Hi,  I'm considering replacing my 5 year old PC with a new machine. Trying to decide to go MAC or PC, for the primary purpose of editing my photos. How about some good suggestions?  Thanks..
    Posted by boscom56[/QUOTE]

I have always been a PC user, but recently invested in a 27" iMac. The display/colors/graphics are unbelievable and the computer runs very smoothly. And it doesn't take that long to learn - I find it works almost the same as windows. You have your icons at the bottom of the screen and you have buttons for closing, minimizing, and maximizing your windows. My suggestion is to go to the Apple store and play around with one of their macs. Then you can make an educated decision as to what will suit your needs best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrice521. Show jrice521's posts

Once you go MAC, You never go back!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd go with a mac simply for the awesome internet protection against malware if you're going to be online at all.  You can learn mac if you aren't familiar with it in no time (if I did), but I love the suggestion to go to the mac store and play around with stuff to get a feel for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nothanksnothanks. Show nothanksnothanks's posts

I edit photos both as a hobby and for work.  I work on a Mac from home and a PC at work.  PC's seemingly have more options for software for non-professionals (which you wouldn't necessarily need), and I personally find the format easier to work within on everything except  Photoshop -- Photoshop on my Mac is great.  And worth noting, short of spending all the money to calibrate a monitor properly, Mac displays are much more "true to life," so the colors you see on the screen are far closer to actuality than on the typical PC.

Kargiver is dead on about the internet protection.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from one23four. Show one23four's posts

I've used PC's exclusively in the past.  Recently replaced my office computer with a pretty powerful Dell workstation.  I picked up the baseline iMac in May fjor home use and was astounded at how much faster/smoother/etc it was from my big PC.  I've stitched big panos, loaded huge Lightroom Catalogs, generated HDR, etc - it's all faster at home.  It also seems that many photo programs are designed for Mac then scaled back for use on PC's.  I think that the Mac desktop is a lot of bang for the buck.

Sections
Shortcuts