NEW CAMERA SUGGESTION

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vmh. Show vmh's posts

NEW CAMERA SUGGESTION

I have recently lost my old pocket size Kodak 8mp. I am not a pro, however I'm ready to a more sophisticaded camera that's both easy to use and easy on the wallet.  Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BergieBerg. Show BergieBerg's posts

Re: NEW CAMERA SUGGESTION

I highly suggest Olympus E-PL1. Fun fun fun, with serious image quality. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coopah. Show Coopah's posts

Help us out by telling us what you like to shoot?  Action/sports?  People?  Fast moving kids?  Landscape?  Buildings?  Daytime/nighttime?  Want video?  You looking to stay w/  P&S form factor?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vmh. Show vmh's posts

Hello Coopah,

I will be shooting my kids very often, as well as the beautiful Landscape dawn here in PA.  Day time and night time is also on the menu and I'm open for a larger model maybe...

Thanks for the reply!
    V.

In Response to Re: NEW CAMERA SUGGESTION:
    [QUOTE]Help us out by telling us what you like to shoot?  Action/sports?  People?  Fast moving kids?  Landscape?  Buildings?  Daytime/nighttime?  Want video?  You looking to stay w/  P&S form factor?
    Posted by Coopah[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coopah. Show Coopah's posts

If you're not looking for interchangeable lenses, the Canon G11 or G12 are very good cameras.  They can shoot in full auto, or manual, and will also accept an external Canon flash.  The manual might be what you want/need for the day/night shooting.

You could also pick up a used G9 for a decent price, of the same family.  Stay away from the G10 however; Canon increased the MP count and also the noise...w/ the G11 they dropped back down to ~10MP to reduce the noise.

This isn't as convenient as a slim P&S, it's a little bulker (but still less than a DSLR).  If you wanted a smaller form factor, then the Canon S90/95 are very good.  I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter, but opt for Canon for P&S.

If you have real active kids, and/or sports, etc., then a P&S might not have the autofocus performance you need, so you would then want to look at the DSLRs.  I think the Canon Rebel models get good reviews; I'm more familiar w/ the Nikons, e.g. D90, the new D3100, are ones that you would want to consider.

Hope this helps.