"reverse sneezing" in dogs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yazfan1960. Show Yazfan1960's posts

"reverse sneezing" in dogs?

This what my vet calls it when my dog brays like a horse, also says it is harmless, but does not know what causes it.  I am writing because my 25 lb beagle/terrier mix is 5 years old and doing it more and more, especially whan I walk her on leash. What is this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: "reverse sneezing" in dogs?

Well, a quick scan of the internet produced this site; who knows if petplace is reputable at all, but here's an excerpt that sounds reasonable to me.  Right now, the cold air might be the irritant.  Since it only happens on walks, I wouldn't be too concerned about the last paragraph's listed possibilities.  And, it doesn't sound like your vet is, either.

Causes of Reverse Sneezing

The exact reason for these reverse sneezing episodes is unknown but may be related to allergies, nasal irritants, or nasal inflammation. Any age, breed or sex can be affected.
    A reverse sneeze may look disturbing – many people fear that their dog is not breathing during these episodes – but it is not a harmful condition and there are no ill effects. Reverse sneezing attacks are generally quite brief and not life threatening. Between episodes, the dog acts normal.

In some situation when reverse sneezing is frequent, a more serious condition may be the underlying cause. In those situations, testing for nasal mites, nasal cancer should be done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max reverse sneezes all the time. Mostly when he gets really really excited or if he eats or drinks too fast.

If you walk your dog using a collar, and she pulls, it might be aggravating it. Switch to a harness.

the quickest way to help stop the reverse sneezing attack is to talk to your dog in calm and soothing voice and gently rub their throat. This will help them swallow, which returns everything to normal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Does she pull on the leash  on the walks?  That could be another tigger (its like they are huffing for air) - at least it is with my dog. It happens when he gets really excited too. Both my vet and trainer have said its pretty much harmless.  To stop the episode, I hold my palm over his nostrils for a few seconds to "reset" him, then let go.  Its definitely one of those things that looks worse than it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

When my dog started to do this (reverse sneeze) I was worried that she had gotten some grass seed up her nose- it was spring, we had just seeded. Turns out, it was much much worse. She had a nasal tumor- a very aggressive form of cancer. While I don't want to cause panic, I do want to recommend that you keep a very close eye on your dog's snout. If you notice any discharge (my dog didn't have any at first) go back to your vet for another check. In order to diagnose the tumor (or any kind of debris caught in the nose) a CT scan for my dog was necessary. Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shorty, that's so awful!  The article I quoted above mentioned that as a possibility, but I didn't imagine it happened to anyone we know.  Sorry to hear that.  What happened with your dog if you don't mind my asking?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Kar- the type of cancer she had is very aggressive and terminal. She died within 8 months of diagnosis.

But- again- I don't want to cause panic for the OP. This kind of cancer is rare and as you can see from other posters, the sneezing is not related to any serious issues. Just be on the look out for any additional symptoms....including mucous or bloody discharge as well as tenderness in the snout/ head area.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Shorty, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Thanks for reminding us that the "rare" does sometimes happen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Shorty- that's awful. I'm so sorry about your dog.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Thanks guys. To say the diagnosis was a shock is quite an understatement. But we were lucky b/c most cases with this type of cancer is diagnosed so late the dog is already in distress. We were able to take measures to ensure her comfort and prepare to say goodbye.