13 y/o neutered male feline

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mogens. Show Mogens's posts

13 y/o neutered male feline

My indoor cat recently taken to the vet for rabies/distemper shots, nail trim etc after not being to vet in 8 years. One week after receiving check up he became very litargic, severe weight loss and lack of desire to feed/drink. Went back to vet who took xrays to assure no bowel blockage and said looks like probable kidney failure and swollen thyroid. I don't have the funds to keep taking him back for more tests. Just want to make sure he is not in pain and, if inevitable, let him go in peace. Sound resonable to you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Re: 13 y/o neutered male feline

Hi Mogens, I am so sorry you're going through this.I agree with Robin 39.  D.H.and I faced this dilemma with his 15 year old cat. He spent quite a bit of money at Angell. They finally told him that there was nothing more they could do.They were very honest with D.H., and helped him through it. They also helped him feel better when they discussed quality of life, what's best for the cat, etc. All the best, bg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I also agree that it might be a bad reaction to the vaccine that he might recover from without further medical intervention.  We gave our dog this kidney support supplement after a bladder infection that she did well on.  It says it's for cats, too:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Uggh...okay...first..Robin, if the cat was indeed diagnosed with kidney failure then sadly, I fear it's probably too late if the OP hasn't taken him back to a vet. This is a prime example of tragedy that takes place every single day across the country.
    I am probably going to be roundly criticized for this..but I have spent too much time volunteering at animal shelters to let it go unsaid.
    To answer your question Mogens, no, it does not sound reasonable..not in the least. First, not taking your cat to a vet for 8 years is irresponsible. If you did not have the funds to care properly for your pet then there are low cost programs available or you should have surrendered him to someone who could care for him. Yes..there is an off chance that this could be a reaction to vaccinations..but that chance is so slight..and I am guessing that your vet would have looked into this . Kidney failure would have been fairly easy to detect by measuring your cat's potassium and at the very least, you should have allowed this to be done as well as allowed him to have fluids for dehydration.  I am not judging you..believe me..but I find it outrageous that you would allow a 13 year old cat to just perish due to lack of funds. If it is not too late, I urge you to surrender this cat to someone who can care for him. That would be in his best interest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

disagree.
    Sounds like that cat has had a wonderful 8 years. I have two cats they had their original shots etc they are well fed well cared for and much loved. I too can not afford vets bills for indoor cats. I take very good care of my furry friends and find it insulting you can call someone irresponsible when it is quite obvious the original poster loves their furry friend. You say you are not judging but if it walks and talks like a duck, its a duck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cathbunk..first..there is nothing in the original post which states the quality of life the cat had for the last 8 years...but even if we assume he had a great life..it is irresponsible to own a pet and not provide him with basic health care/vaccinations...etc. Lack of funds is not really a valid excuse..especially when there are low cost options, like Robin stated..such as Petco. The reality is..a vet would have known this cat's health history and regular visits( even every 2 years) can catch conditions before they become serious and more expensive to treat.
    Sorry..but I don't think that it's good enough to say..oh well..the cat had 8 good years ..so what. Cats have a significantly longer life span.
    Also, if as person cannot afford 100-200 dollars every couple of years for routine vet care..then they should not own a pet..sorry..I happen to believe that owning a pet is more than just feeding and playing with it. While I respect your opinion, like I said..when volunteering at an animal shelter..stories like this get old really fast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cathbunk..also..I find it interesting that you state you are unable to afford vet bills for your cats..yet you are considering purchasing and caring for a hedgehog..( not a cheap venture). Why on earth would you add another pet to your household..when you admit you are not able to afford to pay for basic medical care for the ones you already own? That just doesn't make sense to me. I hope you will be prepared to properly care for this potential pet in the event that it needs vet care..and my experience with hedgehogs is that it will.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

Someone is intent on playing judge here.  My question on the hedgehog was information to pass onto my daughter who will be taking on this expense NOT me.  I was inquiring to the cost of vets bills so I could pass this info on to her. Now after the NICE comment from the Vet on my post regarding Hedgehogs I will be able to sit with my daughter and discuss this with her.

To go back to your comment on the cat/vet subject.... I had a friend that paid fortunes to have her dog cared for by a vet. She was religiously taking her dog for checkups , shots, etc. Well her vet missed a tumor that had grown in her poor Shar-Pei, mind you this is a breed known to have tumors.  By the time the Vet picked up on this it was too late. So please don't tell me vets will know a pets history and can prevent something before it becomes too serious.

Now try to put that gavel down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

okay..first, I apologize since when reading your hedghog post I didn't see the part where you say that financial considerations would be an important factor.
    But..that being said, you and I are likely going to disagree on the merits of regular vet care for pet cats. While I am saddened at the ordeal your friend..who sounds like she did all the right things..went through..the fact that she had a bad experience with a lousy vet does not justify disregarding routine vet care for your pets. But..I don't need to keep telling you that..you seem like a smart person..so you already know it. We clearly look at this from completely different perspectives and I can live with that as I am sure you can.
    So..this is me putting down my gavel..but I reserve the right to pick it up again the next time someone puts up a post about how they haven't taken their cat to a vet in over 8 years..lol

10. This post has been removed.