14 year Himmy Feline with Feline Urinary Syndrome

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmuva. Show dmuva's posts

14 year Himmy Feline with Feline Urinary Syndrome

My 14 year old feline Shakespeare had a urinary blockage at age 10 month (July 1999), he was subsequently given up for adoption a couple of months later and I because its second  owner.  My vet did not put him on a special diet. 

In Oct 2008, Shakespeare  again was hospitalized with a blockage.  Since that time he was put on a special diet Royal Canin Dry & Royal Canin wet.  He no longer likes the canned version of the food, but he still loves the Royal Canin Dry.  He drinks lots of water and I also give him a small amount of canned Fancy Feast (which he likes a bit).

Is there anything else I should do?  I recently lost his litter mate to complications related to chronic renal failure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Re: 14 year Himmy Feline with Feline Urinary Syndrome

Hi Dmuva,

This is a tough one to try and diagnose via the forum.  It's unclear to me if Shakespeare is still experiencing symptoms since the last episode in 2008.  If he's not, then you may want to stick with what's working.  There are other very good canned urinary diets such as Hills C/D or W/D that we typically prescribe in similar cases.  You may try those if the RC stuff is no longer of interest to him.

Water consumption is super key here and it looks like you've got that covered. as Hills C/D  or w/d as well

It sounds lik you're doing what you can to manage his symptoms, which is wonderful.

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmuva. Show dmuva's posts

In response to AskAnAngellVet's comment:

Hi Dmuva,

This is a tough one to try and diagnose via the forum.  It's unclear to me if Shakespeare is still experiencing symptoms since the last episode in 2008.  If he's not, then you may want to stick with what's working.  There are other very good canned urinary diets such as Hills C/D or W/D that we typically prescribe in similar cases.  You may try those if the RC stuff is no longer of interest to him.

Water consumption is super key here and it looks like you've got that covered. as Hills C/D  or w/d as well

It sounds lik you're doing what you can to manage his symptoms, which is wonderful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmuva. Show dmuva's posts

In response to dmuva's comment:

In response to AskAnAngellVet's comment:

Hi Dmuva,

Thank you for your response!

No Shakespeares not experiencing any symptoms (FUS/blockage),  I'm was more concerned with him eating DRY prescription food vs. the CANNED prescription food, because of the potential for renal disease (all 3 of my previous kitties died of renal failure).  I'll look into trying to find a prescripton can food that he will eat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi dmuva,  welcome to Pets,    I have a dog with hx of bladder stones s/p surgery (a condition similar to FUS in cats).

He is on prescription food RC for the rest of his life (plus potassium citrate)

He prefers the dry food, so I put a 1/2 cup of water in his portion of dry food and let it set in the fridg overnight or at least 4 hours prior to serving, the dry food absorbs the water and it poofs up and looks like a lot more.                         

In the beginning I had to add a little chicken broth to get him interested, sometimes I mix in a little canned RC.

He was not impressed at first,  but now eats his food without hesitation and barks for more! He has not had any more bladder stones or discomfort, he's 13.       

As Dr Kaye indicated FLUID INTAKE and SPECIAL DIET are crucial for prevention.

As long as Shakespeare continues to drink adequate amounts of water, I wouldn't worry too much about his preference for dry food,  just mix in as much prescription wet food as you can.

Sounds like you are taking excellent care of your cat :)            Robin aka dog-lady

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmuva. Show dmuva's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

Hi dmuva,  welcome to Pets,    I have a dog with hx of bladder stones s/p surgery (a condition similar to FUS in cats).

He is on prescription food RC for the rest of his life (plus potassium citrate)

He prefers the dry food, so I put a 1/2 cup of water in his portion of dry food and let it set in the fridg overnight or at least 4 hours prior to serving, the dry food absorbs the water and it poofs up and looks like a lot more.                         

In the beginning I had to add a little chicken broth to get him interested, sometimes I mix in a little canned RC.

He was not impressed at first,  but now eats his food without hesitation and barks for more! He has not had any more bladder stones or discomfort, he's 13.       

As Dr Kaye indicated FLUID INTAKE and SPECIAL DIET are crucial for prevention.

As long as Shakespeare continues to drink adequate amounts of water, I wouldn't worry too much about his preference for dry food,  just mix in as much prescription wet food as you can.

Sounds like you are taking excellent care of your cat :)            Robin aka dog-lady

Thank you Robin!

Sections
Shortcuts