4th of July noise. Question for Angell Vets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

4th of July noise. Question for Angell Vets

With the holiday weekend here,  I was wondering what the Angell vets and behaviorists recommend for dealing with dogs that become upset with fireworks.

I know in the past I have had good results with medication for a dog that would get upset to the point of almost seizure activity,  same thing with thunder and lightening.

Some dogs just bark a lot,  anyway would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Re: 4th of July noise

I dont know how your neighborhoods are, but mine started the celebration early this year and there were kids with fireworks last night.  Bella spent the night barking back at every crack and pop.  This made getting up at 5:00 am VERY difficult.  As the weekend approaches and the celebrations will get louder, are their any suggestions on how to get her to stop barking?  I certainly can't blame her or get mad at her since it is a noise she isn't used too (I cna never get mad at that cute little face regardless Laughing) But does anybody have any suggestions?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

From what I've read, clomicalm is like (or is?) an anti-depressant (used mainly today to treat separation anxiety in pets), and, therefore is designed for daily, ongoing use.  Veterinary supervision should be used to taper off it, and it is not to be taken "as-needed."  I'm no vet, though, so consult with yours.  For as-needed dosing, you'd want something equivalent to the human drug Ativan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: 4th of July noise. Question for Angell Vets

www.dogsonly.org/stormfear.html     Hope this helps.   I am looking forward to what the Angell Vets/Behaviorists have to say.  

Also what do the professionals think of the thundershirt?  I just ordered one   www.thundershirt.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How'd everyone make out last night?

We had fireworks in our town, and the neighbor's dog was a mess (he's extremely afraid of thunder, too), and their owners left him outside and weren't home.  Since Gracie is recovering from surgery, we can't let her play with him (and there's not a quiet moment between them) so they sat with their faces pressed against our French doors crying, him out of fear, her out of wanting to go out and play.  It was the saddest thing!!!  I'm sure they were thinking I'm the cruelest mommy on earth, but they play very rough, and she's only 1/2 way through her "no exercise" period. :( 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

there is a big difference between a dog that just barks at fireworks because they are unfamiliar sounds, and a dog with actual loud noise phobia.

In my opinion, if a dog is just barking at loud noises and not displaying any other signs of anxiety, they should not be sedated. It's excessive. They should simply be trained not to bark at the noises.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I completely agree, Pink, and responded more in the other thread about that. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: 4th of July noise:
    [QUOTE]I completely agree, Pink, and responded more in the other thread about that. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I know, I just think there's an important distinction to be made here.
    Not every dog is afraid of loud noises, and not every dog is so afraid of them that they need to be sedated. My mom's corgi didn't like loud noises, but all she would do was sit under the table and drool. As soon as my mom set up her kennel and she could go in it, she felt safe and did just fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutely!  Transient, non-severe, non-debilitating anxiety isn't something to get medical help for; it's a normal part of every sentient creature's life.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Kar, i'd have a real problem with your neighbor - they know the poor thing is afraid of the fireworks and they leave it home alone and outside -- i'd probably have neighbors who hate me cause i would have had to say something to them - although most people think i'm a little excessive with my treating my dog as part of my family and since i work all day and she is home alone most the day i try to make up for it when i am home - an hour walk at least each morning off leash and longer than that each night off leash, swimming, etc. -- and i hardly every go anywhere on the weekends that would keep me away from the house for more than an hour or two -- leaving a dog alone knowing they are afraid of something is really cruel -- they shouldn't have a pet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, we DO have a problem with them, and I called his cell that night.  They were actually not just "not home" - they were ON VACATION.  And, they'd left another neighbor's teenager in charge of putting the dog in their basement every night which he apparently didn't do.  They don't care a bit about that dog.  I don't know why they have him, and I agree they shouldn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: 4th of July noise. Question for Angell Vets:
    [QUOTE]Mm, we DO have a problem with them, and I called his cell that night.  They were actually not just "not home" - they were ON VACATION.  And, they'd left another neighbor's teenager in charge of putting the dog in their basement every night which he apparently didn't do.  They don't care a bit about that dog.  I don't know why they have him, and I agree they shouldn't.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

oh, the poor thing! that's just awful. people like that make me so angry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

me too - i would be calling mspca on them -- now the kids in the basement i wouldn't mind so much (lol)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

So...not only do we have negligent parents, the person left in charge didn't keep their part of the bargain...

In this case, the parents should have definitely had a back-up plan, and had more than one person checking on the dog...better yet, knowing that 4th of July was coming up, arrange for a friend to take the poor dog away, into their own home...

But the parents absolutely, positively need a talking-to about this...are they first time dog owners?  Even if that's the case, still no excuse...

Amethyst/Maldenlady

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A talking to?  It's their dog.  And, as much as I don't care for how they've chosen to handle him, it's none of my business.  They know he's anxious during fireworks and storms; my telling them isn't going to change anything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

For the dog's sake, could you maybe tell them that next time they go out of town you'd be happy to look after him? I know it's not your responsibility, but at least he'd have someone who actually cares about him there instead of some flaky teenager.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Great idea, pink...sorry about my choice of words, kar..."talking to" was a bit rough...apologies!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No problem, no hard feelings.  But, it really is their responsibility to take care of their dog the way they want to.  They don't stick cigarettes on him, beat him, or anything else.  Anxiety stinks, but he's lived that way his whole life, and I can't change it or make them deal with it the way I would.  I'd take care of him when they go away, but he's not well trained and cannot be trusted to not pee all over our house, marking his territory.  He and Gracie cannot hang out AT ALL for another 4 - 6 weeks while her TPLO knee heals, and even after that point I don't want them playing anymore because she is prone to tear the other knee when they play.  As far as dealing with him at his house, I wouldn't have any more luck rangling him inside for the night than anyone else.  Yes, it's sad, and I care, but there's nothing I can reasonably do about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I see, then that's understandable. I thought you meant whoever was supposed to be looking after him just wasn't showing up and the dog was left to fend for himself.
    They're just lucky no one's complained to animal control about the barking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, no kidding.  But, they are neighbors, and we aren't exactly in a transient community.  Nobody wants to be the pita neighborhood rat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

truth be told, unless you live in a really small town, chances are animal control won't really care unless someone's being attacked.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Huh!   Over a week, and no post from Angel Vets...? 

I wonder if they're still monitoring?  The monitor is on vac?  They were pretty good about answering...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to know, thanks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharon-g19. Show sharon-g19's posts

In Response to Re: 4th of July noise. Question for Angell Vets:
    [QUOTE]Just got the "Thundershirt" I ordered and put it on my thunderstorm phobic dog.   Will give you all a review in a day or so,  as we are expecting off and on thunder and lightening today.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Max was all wrapped up snug in his Thundershirt when I left for work this morning because of the storms. I have had great success with it but have read reviews from others that it didn't make much of a difference. I hope it works for you!

Sections
Shortcuts