Anesthesia for dental extraction in a Boston Terrier, 10yrs old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

Anesthesia for dental extraction in a Boston Terrier, 10yrs old

Hi
    I took my dog for his phsical exam today and the vet said he has a broken tooth that needs to be extracted. He will need to go under anesthesia. I was wondering if it was safe with him being 10yrs old. Besides his teeth he is in great health.

Thank you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

Re: Anesthesia for dental extraction in a Boston Terrier, 10yrs old

In Response to Re: Anesthesia for dental extraction in a Boston Terrier, 10yrs old:
    He will be fine,  the risk of infection and pain by not removing the tooth are greater than the risk of complications from the anesthesia,  and if your pretty sure he's in good health maybe you can decline some of the lab work.    BTW:  While he's "out"   they might as well do a cleaning and take care of anything else that doesn't look right.
    Posted by robingirl

Thanks
    His dr gave me a quote and on it it said that a routine cleaning, x rays, extractions and anibiotics (if needed) so that will be good if he is going to get all that. She also said it would be good to have it done before it does get infected. I was just thinking after that fact (on my way to work after his appointment) that he is 10 yrs old which is old for a dog :( but I never think he is actually old because he still runs and plays like a puppy and has no other health issues besides his teeth that the anesthesia might be risky given his age. But from looking around on the web and here that he should be ok.

Thanks !!! Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with rg.  You should get the tooth extracted because the chances of his dying from leaving it in (infection and sepsis) are much greater than the risk of going under.  I'd do it if it were my dog.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

I am definantly going to get it done. But of course I will be nervous until it's over, just because he's my baby and I don't know what I would do with out him. I think I get more scared when he gets his vaccines shots than he is. lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jharvey, of course you will be concerned.  I was sick until I picked her up safe and sound when we got Gracie spayed, and she was young and healthy.  But, you are doing the right thing, and we'd love to hear from you when it's all done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

He's going April 8th. He's going to freak when I have to leave him there, he did when they took him out back last appointment to take blood and I wasn't there with him. Going to have to get him lots of new toys to make up for it LOL. I will let you know how he does.

Thanks so much for your all your help Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jharvey, as hard as will be, be cheerful, playful, and keep your voice positive (use a little higher pitch than normal) with him until he's in their hands.  Drop him off with a quick hug, relaxed smile, and a happy, "Good boy!" and a treat (if they allow food before the procedure).  Leave as soon as they take him, and make sure he sees and hears you're happy the whole time you're there.  He'll take his cues from you; any nervousness in your voice or behavior will freak him out more than being there without you will.

We'll be watching for your update in April.

8. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts