canine dementia, doggy prozac?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

canine dementia, doggy prozac?

He still plays occasionally, excellent appetite and in general appears to enjoy life, no other issues.

The problem is that in the evening he (14 yr old dog) seems to have symptoms that resemble "sundowning syndrome".   For example, sometimes at around 11pm he thinks it is time for breakfast and starts barking for food, of course I give him a bite (he gets several small meals per day) and take him back to his bed.   But he has weight issues, so I can't always use food to calm him down.

He also gets snappy and aggressive during these episodes.

I know, consult with your vet.

The thing is, some of us are on fixed incomes and are concerned with all the mandatory lab work and testing $$$ involved.

Just trying to keep an old dog comfortable :)

Anyone else been through this recently?  What meds were prescribed and were they effective?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: canine dementia, doggy prozac?

I just read that Melatonin can be used for dogs.   Has anyone tried this at the recommendation of their vet?    Google for info and of course always check with your vet first.

I know, I'm answering my own questions now, lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: canine dementia, doggy prozac?

Copied today from:   Pet health chat with Dr. Susan O'Bell -- Tuesday, Jan. 7 at noon

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/blogs/pet_chatter/2014/01/pet_health_chat_with_dr_susan_1.html

Tuesday January 7, 2014    12:07 

[ Comment From R : ]  I have a 14 year old dog that is showing symptoms that resemble "sundowning syndrome" I have heard that Melatonin might help. I will consult my vet but I just wanted to know if you have observed Melatonin being an effective solution for this problem? He is in good shape otherwise. Thanks

Tuesday January 7, 2014   12:10 

Susan O'Bell:  Hi R, Having an aging pet can bring so many new challenges. Melatonin is generally thought to be a safe treatment, it may or may not help, but shouldn't hurt at least (confirm dose with your vet).

Mental enrichment throughout the day can help, as well as sticking with a predictable routine to help decrease anxiety. There are other anti-anxiety medications as well as an FDA approved medication for cognitive dysfunction in dogs, so check in with your vet about all your options. Good for you for recognizing this change in your older pet, and good luck.

Sections
Shortcuts