Cat behaviour

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Cat behaviour

I adopted a 4 month old stray cat the beginning of Oct. He's a wonderful cat, but at times he crouches, and jumps out at us. This morning he literally climbed to the top of a screen door on the screen. I'm wondering what thats about. Our previous cat was much calmer. He was really scrawney when we adopted him, but now is eating so well. My husband is worried he's eating too ,much though. I figure that if he was hungry his first few months, maybe he eats all that he can,not knowing when the next meal is going to come. Any advice would be great, Mostly though his behavior is great, very cuddly,purring,etc. bg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Re: Cat behaviour

bg - congrats on your new kitty. I think that he just wants more attention and play time with you. When we adopted a stray kitten we had 2 older cats. They basically ignored her so she would sneak up on them and pounce on them. She would also wake us up at 4 AM to play with her. So you probably want to schedule several play sessions with your cat into your day. Doesn't have to be a long play session but it will help calm him down.

When we brought home our newest cats from the shelter both would clean their bowls each time that we fed them. When we let them have the run of the house, they would eat our older cats food too. We ended up feeding them in separate areas. After a few months they realized that there was plenty of food so were less likely to lick their bowls clean each time. These kitties have been with us for 2 years now. Are you feeding him kitten food?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The crouching and jumping at you is just play.  Charles used to do that too.  And, I think when he climbs the screen he is just working off steam.  Some cats (Cheerio included) don't know enough to stop eating when they are full, they will eat and eat as long as there is food down.  With her, I blamed it on her litter and whatever other cats were in the household before she was brought to the  Animal Rescue League.  She probably had to squirm her way in for her food.  If your cat was a stray, he too, I'm sure, had to eat whenever he found food.  I used to have to feed Charlie on a counter, else Cheerio would devour both plates.  That was the one thing he bowed to her on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Thanks Celia2, and t.t. He really is energetic for sure. We have a fairly big house ,and the way he runs(and I mean RUNS) up and down the stairs,I'm amazed he doesn't hurt himself. I thought he was hunting or something. They gave us a bag of  Science Diet cat food at the shelter, and told us to give him half dry, and half wet food. He much prefers the wet. I'm taking him back to the shelter soon to get his claws trimmed, and I'll ask for a little more info on his backround. We're crazy about him though. Very sweet and entertaining. My screen door will be toast soon though. LOL. Have a great day with your feline friends! bg.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh, and and can be difficult to use the computer too. He keeps trying to catch the icon thing, and anything that moves on the screen. I'ts pretty hilarious.bg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

bg- you may want to invest in a cat scratching post. It may save your screen door. The scratching posts have saved our furniture but the cats still like to drag themselves across the area rugs with their claws. (no expensive rugs for me!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Thats a great idea Celia. I'll definitly be shopping for a scratch post this week. I never needed one with our Tigger, but this cat is a "whole other animal" (pun intended)bg.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you SURE you don't have my Charlie??  He used to race from one end of the hall to the other, skidding into walls.  He'd come sit next to me when I was on the computer, batting the moving arrow, stepping on the keys in the process!  Oh, how I miss that cat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

t.t., so,so funny! Stitches must be channeling Charlie. They sound exactly alike. Lots of fun,but manic at times. I also miss our other cat Tig. Amazing, the different personalities. Funny, I never cared for cats until my D.D was given Tigger for her third birthday. She was heartbroken when he died,as was my husband and I.Take care,bg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

BG - he sounds adorable!  So glad you adopted him.  I wonder if having been a stray has led to his more rambunctious behavior, or if it's just his personality... Maybe he did more jumping/running/climbing being constantly outdoors than a strictly indoor-from-birth kitten would do?  Makes me want a kitten!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi bg -

The behavior you describe seems like normal kitten behavior to me.  I wouldn't worry too much.  A long time ago, I had a cat that climbed the screen door, too, and as he got older, he just stopped.  tt's right about some cats eating too much if allowed.  My female is like that and at one point, she weighed 17 pounds.  These days, she weighs about 13. Recently, I adopted an adult male.  They told me he is 3-4 years old but I suspect he's younger.  He is full of energy and sometimes races around the house, upstairs and downstairs, back and forth.  He was neglected but not physically abused.  I think food was an issue because each and every time I go to the kitchen, he wants to be fed.  I thought he would realize after awhile he would never go hungry again in my house, but after a couple of months, I started keeping a spray bottle handy to discourage this.  Just a squirt does the trick. Now, I just have to pick it up and he runs out of the kitchen.  I think he was fed people food by his previous owner. He is very interested in what I'm eating and one evening I was distracted by something and in an instant he swiped a chicken breast from my plate!  However, he is the sweetest most affectionate cat and I just need to give him time and of course, I will! When you adopt, you just never know what the previous circumstances were.

Each of my cats get 1/4 can of food and 1/2 cup of dry food a day. I give them Pounce treats a couple times a day, too. Doesn't seem like much to me and my female is still the size of a small sheep!  The male weighs about 10 pounds.  Mine are fairly inactive and indoor cats. Not sure what the guidelines are for feeding a kitten.  Don't worry though.  Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Some cats take to a scratching post and some don't.  My father had a cat who scratched under the cellar stairs - perfect spot!  His current cat has destroyed a loveseat and walks right by the scratching post!

mothermitzi 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all! Mothermitzi, This cat will throw up at times because he eats so fast. I get the feeling he was abandoned. He attached himself to us right away though. I think Poppy might be right about his backround having something to do with his hunting like behaviour. He's a keeper though. Makes us laugh all the time!bg.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi BG, you could have described a cat I had named Bandit.  She would do the same thing and almost run up the walls. It would come out of nowhere but really funny!  The 2 cats I have now, do not do that, it was only Bandit. Every cat has a different personality which is why I love cats as well as my dog.  Miss that crazy cat! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I also remember I had a round toy that had a scratching surface and a ball around the rim that Bandit would go crazy trying to get.  Wasn't expensive at all.  I also had a battery operated toy that would spin a stick with a feather in different directions.  She loved it!  Funny now I think about it, she was the only one I needed toys for..  she was a character and a half.  Discipline was hard as she loved water!  She jumped in the shower with me one time and scared me half to death.  Interesting she was the only stray I had taken in. She was crouched on my porch on a freezing day in February and I couldn't leave her there, she was just a baby. My cat Maggie I got from an owner who didn't want 2 cats anymore, so she kept one and decided to get rid of Maggie (really?) Maggie and Bandit are gone now but never forgotten : ) The 2 I have now were from a neighbor who was irresponsible and didn't spay her 4 female cats.  Instead of spaying them, she got rid of them.  Some people just shouldn't have animals...  You will get many years of entertainment and Bandit was the most loveable too.  I believe the strays are just so excited and grateful to have a home, so they give you endless hours of fun and joy and lots of love.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi Amber, It really is sad how some people can be so irresponsible with animals. The cost of spaying isn't that much. If a person can't afford it, they should wait until they can before taking one in. My husband broke up with a woman who he saw kick his cat down the stairs. How sick can a person be. I would love a dog, but until I have the time and knowledge to care for one, I'm going to wait.bg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I go nuts when I see someone mistreat an animal and I know your husband had to be disgusted.  Funny story with Amber, my dog.  I use to tell my daughter when I bought a house, i would get her a dog and promptly forgot about it.  Well years later, when I bought my house, the first thing she said, was, when do i get my dog?  LOL!  I went in looking for a Boston Terrier as I didn't want a big dog and I work, wouldn't be fair.  Ended up seeing this white ball of fluff sound asleep and of course fell in love with her, a Shih Tzu : )  But it was a lot of work and I had never owned a dog before.  It really is a commitment.  If you do get one, Kar is the best to ask for advice as she and we all lived through her puppy stages : )  In the end, it is very much worth it, but you are smart to be realistic. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Yes, it actually was Kars posts about her Gracie, that made me cautious about adopting a dog before I could give the time and patience a dog needs. I definitly will at some point have a dog in our home,but only when I can do so with Kars standards.bg.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

AG - agree with you that strays tend to be very people oriented when someone takes them in. We got our first cat from a co-worker who saved it off the street in the middle of a freezing winter. Her neighbor had abandoned it after the cat grew out of the kitten phase. She was about 9 months old. Celia turned out to be the most loving cat that I've ever had and I've had a lot of cats. She loved her family and would even let the neigborhood kids pat her. The only human she didn't like was the vet. She'd hiss at the vet so much so that the vet was worried that she'd attack. Celia was all bluff - she never scratched anyone. It was our other cat who didn't hiss that was more likely to scratch. Celia had 17 happy years with us. I still miss her.

My son's cat was a stray as well but we got her when she was @ 4-6 weeks old. Our two shelter cats are not so human oriented until the weather turns cool then we make nice heated surfaces to sleep upon. Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For a couple of years I thought our feral cat population had been liquidated by the coyotes.  Now this summer/fall, new ones are appearing, beautiful cats, actually.  I now have a black and white one mottled like a cow who passes through the yard just about every day.  Yesterday I spoke to him and he stood and looked at me for a minute or two, then went off under the fence down towards the pond - looking for brunch, I suppose. ----- "I WILL NOT start feeding him.  I WILL NOT start feeding him.  I WILL NOT start feeding him."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL TT!!!!  I so know that feeling and I have given in before and regreted it.  Hard to say no though if you are a cat lover : )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: Cat behaviour:
    [QUOTE]AG - agree with you that strays tend to be very people oriented when someone takes them in. We got our first cat from a co-worker who saved it off the street in the middle of a freezing winter. Her neighbor had abandoned it after the cat grew out of the kitten phase. She was about 9 months old. Celia turned out to be the most loving cat that I've ever had and I've had a lot of cats. She loved her family and would even let the neigborhood kids pat her. The only human she didn't like was the vet. She'd hiss at the vet so much so that the vet was worried that she'd attack. Celia was all bluff - she never scratched anyone. It was our other cat who didn't hiss that was more likely to scratch. Celia had 17 happy years with us. I still miss her. My son's cat was a stray as well but we got her when she was @ 4-6 weeks old. Our two shelter cats are not so human oriented until the weather turns cool then we make nice heated surfaces to sleep upon.
    Posted by Celia2[/QUOTE]

Hi celia2 -

I know what you mean!  I have an electric blanket and have company all winter long. 

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all, I'm getting our new cat "Stitches" claws trimmed on Saturday. I'm going shopping on Sunday for a scratch post. Does anyone have any recommendations for cat posts,and general idea of prices. We don't allow him outside,(hence the screen acrobatics), so I want to prevent any furniture scratching.He's also getting a booster vaccine,and am worried about how he'll react to that. Take care.bg.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

We've had success with both the cheapy cardboard ones and the more elaborate ones with sisal and carpet. The cardboard ones come with cat nip but if Stitches is under 6 months then he shouldn't have cat nip.  We have a couple of elaborate cat scratching posts complete with sisal posts and carpeted sleeping areas. We got both from a Pet Supplies Plus on Rt 3A in Burlington. I think we paid @ $125 but it was many years ago. They've both held up well. We liked their choices better than the other pet stores and felt that the posts were more sturdy. Our cats tend to sharpen their claws on either the sisal post or the cardboard. For the most part they leave our furniture alone. Wish I could say the same @ our rugs.

My kitties are always sleepy after having their shots so maybe your screen will catch a break today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Somewhere I read that the sisal or rope upright scratching post should be I think it was 24" tall at least.  Otherwise, the weight of the cat topples it.  Have thought about getting one for Cheerio, but she uses the down cellar post and that's fine with me.  Charles never even used the box corrugated cardboard one, he went for the furniture all the time until I put masking tape along the upright corners of the arms.  He didn't like the feel of that and stopped.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

tt- I believe that you are right that the scratching posts have to be at least 2 feet tall. I think that the first one that we bought was only @ 18" tall and my cat ignored it. She ended up shredding a couch but with a combination of the new bigger scratching posts and strategically placing the cardboard w/catnip scratches near the furniture she left our new furniture alone. She still liked to sharpen her claws on the area rug even with all the various scratching posts options.

Sections
Shortcuts