Cat Bladder Infection?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brockdl. Show brockdl's posts

Cat Bladder Infection?

My cat jsut started urinating around the house.  He is not simply peeing on the floor though.  Sometimes I find him squatting in what appears to be pain and when I touch his stomach he whines and growls like in serious pain.  Then when he finally leaves I find a couple of drops of urine left behind.  This has gone on for 24 hours.  He also whines when I pick him up with my hand in his stomach area.  To me it sounds like a UTI or bladder infection. 
    There have been no changes in the home or environment.  I beleive he did get very scared the other day when we were playing and it was the first time he ever has urinated outside of his box. 
    I plan to take him to the vet Monday (tomorrow) but was wondering what the MSPCA may offer in this area?  I am unemployed at the moment and althouhg I will pay anything for my boy, I hope to minimize costs as much as possible. 
    He eats and plays, but from my research online, bladder infection seems to fit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Cat Bladder Infection?

If he's in pain from your pressing on him it might be migrating to his kidneys and can become serious fast.  I agree about taking him somewhere and getting him on antibiotics asap.  24 hours can make a big difference, and a kidney infection is can pose a threat to your cat's life.  ("UTI" and "bladdar infection" are the same thing.  A kidney infection is a UTI that has traveled up into the kidneys.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like your cat isn't peeing a lot? Anyway....cats can get urinary obstructions. I have a friend with a cat that has chronic blockages. If this is the case, it can be very serious and the cat should be seen asap. Angell Memorial does provide financial assistance. Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Please take your cat to a vet as soon as possible. Male cats especially can get blockages in their urinary tract and if it goes on too long it can cause kidney damage. Anytime a cat starts urinating in places other than his litter box, that should be a huge red flag that something is wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Mara Ratnofsky of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    While it is possible that your cat has a urinary tract infection, bacterial infection is actually not a common cause of urinary issues in healthy male cats. Far more common is a condition referred to as Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (aka Feline Urologic Syndrome or Feline Idiopathic Cystitis). With this condition, the bladder becomes very inflamed for unknown reasons. A cat experiencing an episode may have bloody urine, strain to urinate, urinate in unusual places, have abdominal pain, and lick the urinary opening. This condition is usually managed with a combination of medication and supportive care.

More concerning, however, is a problem called urinary obstruction. With this condition, there is a blockage in the urinary tract that makes the cat physically unable to urinate. Urinary obstruction is a medical emergency, as cats with this condition are usually quite painful and quickly become very sick. Early signs may mimic those of Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, however obstructed cats produce minimal to no urine while straining, may vomit or become lethargic, and can actually die. Because it can be difficult to tell these conditions apart, a visit to your veterinarian is definitely a good idea. 

For owners with financial concerns, there are many programs that provide assistance. At Angell Animal Medical Center we offer Care Credit which allows qualified applicants to spread payments out interest-free for a defined period of time. The MSPCA also provides low-cost spay/neuter services for low-income pet owners at www.mspca.org/snap. Spaying or neutering your pet can save costs down the road since they will no longer face certain cancers.

If you are in need of a veterinarian you may call Angell Animal Medical Center at (617) 524-5653 to schedule an appointment, or visit www.angell.org/generalmedicine for more information.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouiseHadden. Show LouiseHadden's posts

Tips for making a house move easier for 3 geriatric cats

We will be moving in the next few months and wanted some ideas on how to make the move easier for the three older cats (13 1/2, 16 1/2 and 17 1/2).  They have never been anywhere but our current home, which is a single floor 2 bedroom apartment, and we are moving to a large Victorian with 4 levels.  The two older cats have thyroid issues and are medicated and monitored every two months by the vet to make sure they are doing well on the medication.  One cat has had a rear hind leg amputated due to cancer, but still gets around quite well.  The youngest was born without radius bones in her front legs, and is a little mobility impaired - she can jump on couches and go up stairs. 

Do we keep their litter boxes and food on one level?  How can we make the transition easier for them?

Thanks in advance!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just moved a year ago from a 2 story house to a one level apartment.  My 2 cats 10 and 8 had only known that house.  I would put the food and cat box wherever is comfortable for you, they will adjust.  I had no problem with that.  However, it did take them a few days to adjust.  One cat cried and cried when we let him out of the cat carrier in the new place and was generally freaked out.  The other one hid in a corner for an entire day and would only move if I picked him up.  Lots of crying in the middle of the night and lots of me reassuring them, that was their home and I wasn't leaving.  They are totally fine now.  Cats do not like change, so expect a transition period, but they will be fine.  Good luck and let us know how they and you make out.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You'll get more interest and help if you start a new thread by hitting the "Start a new thread" button at the top of the page.  This is about someone's cat with an infection, and people aren't going to assume it's anything new.

9. This post has been removed.