cat losing weight - no apparent reason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistercoughy. Show mistercoughy's posts

cat losing weight - no apparent reason

Hi,

One of our 2 cats seems to have lost a couple of pounds recently for no discernible reason. I can feel his bones through the fur. He eats and drinks ok, and his twin brother is fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Re: cat losing weight - no apparent reason

Answer by Dr. Joel Kaye of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    Sudden or dramatic weight loss in a pet can be the result of an underlying issue such as stress or an illness. Losing weight is serious for pets, especially if they are eating and drinking normally. The loss of one or two pounds in a cat can be 10-20% of his or her bodyweight, the equivalent of an average human losing 20-30 pounds.

Stress can cause a change in behavior or physical appearance. In many cases the stress can result from changes in an owner’s lifestyle including moving, a change in routine such as work hours, or the introduction of a roommate or additional pet. In stress related cases it is common for a pet’s weight loss to be the direct result of a decreased appetite and lack of eating.

Underlying medical conditions including infections, cancers, metabolic diseases such as kidney disease and Diabetes as well as inflammatory diseases of the intestines, can also cause weight loss, even when an animal is eating and drinking normally. The two main causes for weight loss resulting from a medical issues, assuming the pet is eating, are a pet’s inability to absorb nutrients as they pass through his or her system or that the food passes through their system faster than the nutrients can be utilized.

In either stress related or medically founded cases, your pet’s veterinarian should be consulted immediately. His veterinarian can run several tests to uncover any possible medical issues. In addition to the factors causing the weight loss, the drop in weight can cause additional problems with your pet’s health, even going as far as to intensify the underlying issues. It is important that you bring your cat to see his veterinarian as soon as possible. If you are in need of a veterinarian you may call Angell Animal Medical Center at (617) 722-7282 to schedule an appointment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Animalover928. Show Animalover928's posts

Cherry Eye

My 3 yo Bulldog has had 3 surgeries for cherry eye and they haven't worked.  Should we remove the 3rd eyelid?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHER. Show NHER's posts

Sheepdog with growth on lip

My 18month old polish lowland sheepdog has a whitish growth on his lip.  It is about the size of my thumbnail, and square.  It feels fleshy/soft, and is attached only at the bottom.  It does not appear to bother him.  Any ideas what that might be?  Thank you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Couldn't weight loss (unexplained) also be hyperthyroidism?  I was surprised that wasn't mentioned - of course, that's for older pets, usually.  My mother has had many cats that were hyperthyroid, and I have an 18 yr old cat with it now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

In Response to Re: cat losing weight - no apparent reason:
    Couldn't weight loss (unexplained) also be hyperthyroidism?  I was surprised that wasn't mentioned - of course, that's for older pets, usually.  My mother has had many cats that were hyperthyroid, and I have an 18 yr old cat with it now. 
    Posted by CT-DC

Good point.  Bloodwork is the first step & that can rule out diabetes, kidney failure, liver problems, and hyperthyroidism.  We had an old cat who started losing weight when he was about 19 and the diagnosis was ... age!  He made it to just past 20 yrs old, though, and was feisty until his last week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Since it's a metabolic condition/disease, hyperthyroidism is moreorless mentioned by the vet in the detailed message.  I thought the message was fantastic and getting free veterinary advice here is amazing.
    It's true that many cats, just like people, develop metabolic conditions as a result of age, you see it diagnosed now more than ever.  Bottom line, the kitty needs bloodwork for the diagnosis, and hopefully, will regain quality of life once treated.   Hoping for the best!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistercoughy. Show mistercoughy's posts

Many thanks, Dr. Kaye, and others. We're off to the vet's for tests and care.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Sheepdog with growth on lip

In Response to Sheepdog with growth on lip:
    My 18month old polish lowland sheepdog has a whitish growth on his lip.  It is about the size of my thumbnail, and square.  It feels fleshy/soft, and is attached only at the bottom.  It does not appear to bother him.  Any ideas what that might be?  Thank you.
    Posted by NHER

that sounds like a skin tag, which are usually benign and harmless but you should check with your vet to be sure.

Sections
Shortcuts