Cat Nutrition Questions for Angell vet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 302JRJ. Show 302JRJ's posts

Cat Nutrition Questions for Angell vet

Is it OK to give a cat some fresh raw seafood (fish, shrimp, squid) as a treat a couple times a week? The info I have seen is conflicting, usually doesn't distinguish between cooked/raw, and also doesn't specify quantity or frequency. (There are canned cat food products in the pet-store which are mostly or all fish-based, which makes the matter even more confusing for me.) ---- Also, can you point me to a definitive, trustworthy source for cat nutrition that isn't sponsored by commercial pet food manufacturers? ---- Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Cat Nutrition Questions for Angell vet

I'm not a vet but....

check Petco Cat Forums  Health and Nutrition, look for a thread regarding How to make a raw diet for cats.

http://support.mspca.org/site/DocServer/MSPCA-Angell_Generic_HM_cat_diet.pdf?docID=1561

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Re: Cat Nutrition Questions for Angell vet

Hi 302,

I would stick with AAFCO approved cat food. AAFCO stands for Association of American Feed Control Officials and governs nutrition profiles for pet food; there should be a label on your cat’s food package. In addition to the safety issues of feeding raw or undercooked food to your pet, I especially worry about the potential lack of balance in your cat’s diet with any home-prepared diets whether raw or cooked. Lastly, but importantly for cat health, some plants and raw fish or shellfish contain enzymes that render important vitamins in the body inactive which could lead to problem’s with your cat’s metabolism.  Although I think there is a place for treats and for home cooked diets, I would stick with cat food and cat treats; even if seafood flavored they have been balanced to meet a cat’s nutritional needs which are very different from our own.

Dr. Susan O'Bell, Angell Animal Medical Center

Sections
Shortcuts