Cat turned aggressive

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Cat turned aggressive

We have one female cat who has become aggressive against the other female cat. She chases the younger cat around the house. They have not actual fought, just some hissing.

Background - we brought home 2 adult cats (1 female & 1 male) from a shelter 2 yrs ago. These two cats bonded when we had them in isolation from our other cats. They play together and wash each other. We also had 2 other cats who had been in our home together for 5 years but weren't particular close. Mostly the two older cats ignored the two younger cats. Last December we lost our oldest cat to old age. Since that time our older female cat will chase the younger female cat. We try to give our older female cat lots of attention because we thought that maybe she was feeling isolated or lonely with only the two younger cats. Our older cat has always slept with my son and that has not changed. We do try to keep the younger cats out of my son's room.

We've always experienced a bit of hissing whenever we brought a new cat into our home but that was only for a short period. This aggressiveness started almost 1.5 yrs after the younger cats had been in our home. Other than the aggressiveness towards the younger female cat the older cat is acting her normal self. So is this loneliness? Is the older cat trying to establish dominance? Is it because there is a male cat (our first) now? (all the cats are neutered.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Cat turned aggressive

I went through a similar period with my 2 male cats Ceila.  One is 10 and the other 8 so they have lived together for a long time.  I had a lot of stuff going on in my house at the time and I had a relative living with me, so I had to move their cat box.  One night i woke up to howling hissing and basically the oldest one beating up the youngest.  I seperated them and it kept happening.  When I called my vet, they said cats hate change and Tigger is probably reacting to that and to seperate them for a few days.  I did that and when I let them together again, Tigger started hissing again so I sprayed him with water.  I continued to do that until when he saw the bottle he would run.  My relative finally left thank God and things went back to normal. I think maybe losing her friend is causing this?  Any other changes?  I would highly recommend the spraying of the water, that seemed to send the message the behavior is not acceptable.  It is stressful to go through that for sure.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Terri Bright, M.S. Ed., BCBA, Behavior Analyst and Training Coordinator at the MSPCA-Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center:
    Sudden changes in a pet’s behavior, while not uncommon, can be signs of a more serious issue. Whenever you notice a sudden change such as this, make sure that the aggressive pet, in this case your cat, visits her veterinarian for a check-up to identify or rule out a medical cause for the new behavior.

You may also make sure that the older cat has things to do other than chase your younger cat. Try punching some small holes into a cardboard tube, fill it with kibble, and tape up the ends. Give this to her to knock around and snack from instead of chasing your other cat.

Association can also become a key training tool for wanted behavior. Try associating the younger cat with good things when the older cat is around (i.e. when the older cat sees the younger one, praise her, pet her, and/or give her a cat tidbit). You can prevent the recent chasing by keeping the cats in different rooms unless they are under your direct supervision. If you catch her chasing, quietly pick her up and put her in another room until she calms down. Over time, the behavior should diminish. If it does not, contact a professional for help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

sorry but I have to disagree on one point.  It sounds easy to say pick up the cat when it is aggressive, but that can be difficult.  The cat will either run or try to claw you. I know as I tried that.  I still say the water bottle is very effective and does not hurt them. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm with you Amber on the picking up problem - I know if I had ever tried to pick up Charlie when he was in full attack mode on Cheerio, I would have ended up the wounded one.  I had used the water spray bottle, but he was such a sneaky devil, would curl up next to her and then as soon as I left the room would hug her and bite her throat!  Evidently in his new home there's another cat who is more alpha.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

What a devil Charlie was!  And yes, it is very scary to try to grab a cat that has his back up, hissing and teeth bared.  Um, yeah no, I was not picking him up.  I felt so bad when I read you had to give Charlie a new home, that had to be so difficult and to be honest, I was thinking I would have to do that with Tigger as it wasn't fair on Boo.  But I know it was all the crazy changes in my house at the time as the cats had lived together fine for many years with no problem.  I am very happy Charlie has a good home as I know you are and I am happy Tigger and Boo are brothers and friends again : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree, picking up a cat when it's in fighting mode is NOT a good idea. When I still lived with my parents we had two family cats. A big male cat and a smaller, 5 years younger, female cat. He used to go after her every now and then, and we learned the hard way that intervening by force left you with scratch marks. We found some loud noises or a water bottle did the trick.

nothing ever stopped the spats. feeding them separately helped, but he'd still go after her sometimes. they never hurt each other, it seemed to be more about posturing than actual fighting. lots of chasing, swatting and hissing, but never any blood or biting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from B0stonMA. Show B0stonMA's posts

Maybe the aggressive cat is not feeling well. If her teeth or gums are bothering her or she has an ifection in her mouth or elsewhere she may not be herself. It could also be tummy trouble, blocked bowel or hairball.

Don't panick just be aware.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

There have been two major changes in her life - losing the older cat after being together almost 8 years and being converted to indoor only cat after being allowed out doors for most of her life. The aggressiveness started soon after the oldest cat died. So I really do attribute to change in the cat dynamics in our house. We have been watching this cat closely for any signs of illness but she has had none. This cat doesn't chase the male cat because he twice as big as she is. A quick shout or loud clapping will stop the cat chasing the other. The cats are usually racing from one room to another so it's difficult to squirt her with water. She doesn't chase the other female all the time but just when she gets too close - a foot or two. We do feed the older cat separately. We started that a long time ago because the younger cats gobbled up all the food while the older cats would nibble then come back for more later only to find their bowls empty. I'm hoping this aggressiveness will all peter out eventually.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tryphena. Show tryphena's posts

I'm having a similar problem with my two cats.  I have had them for about 8 years.  They were adopted from a shelter together because they were so close that the shelter did not want them to be separated.  They always got along well with the occasional minor fight.   I moved to another apartment and it was rather big and the transition went rather well.   Then I moved again to a smaller apartment.   Within a week or so out of nowhere they started into a major fight (fur flying, claws left in the fur, growling, hissing)  I was really concerned and left for work the next day and didn't know if I'd find both alive, both dead or what.   I came in the door and they were best buds again (btw, two neutured males).   So over the last year or so they have gone through these episodes.  Eventually, one was diagnosed as being diabetic which might have had caused some of the behaviour (I know you grouchy I get when I'm constantly hungry).  The cat went on insulin and then his body repaired itself and he's now diet controlled only so he's feeling good.   The other cat just get's really scared of  his "brother"sometimes and starts growling and cowering.   I'd really like to know what I can do to calm them down with each other so they can be the "best buds" they used to be.   Both have now been checked by the vet and are now fine.   Any thoughts about a smaller apartment and territory issues.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Rabies?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from differnet. Show differnet's posts

We have a new kitten that is particularily aggressive.  We don't know much about his background, other than he was found in a car engine  when he was very small (so he's probably feral) and he stayed with another family for a few weeks (they already have 2 dogs and a cat) before we adopted him.  We've gotten him over his food aggreession.  He will now let us touch his bowls during feeding.  He even allows us to pick him up when we come home from work and cuddle him for a few minutes.  He does cuddle up to us now and then.  But when he plays, he is very aggressive.  He bites and scratches.  We'll be sleeping in the middle of the night and he will jump on our faces.  He's pretty young.  We estimate that he is about 3 months old.  We have him scheduled to be fixed in 9 weeks.  Do you think this is normal kitten play?  Is this strictly a socialization problem.  Right now, whenever he attacks us we push him away or stop playing with him, but he continues to attack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Exact same thing with my cats Pink.  There was no real fighting, just Tigger being a bully : )  Happens occasionally, but when he starts and I tell him to knock it off, he does.  But thankfully they get along well most of the time and play with each other.

In Response to Re: Cat turned aggressive:
    I agree, picking up a cat when it's in fighting mode is NOT a good idea. When I still lived with my parents we had two family cats. A big male cat and a smaller, 5 years younger, female cat. He used to go after her every now and then, and we learned the hard way that intervening by force left you with scratch marks. We found some loud noises or a water bottle did the trick. nothing ever stopped the spats. feeding them separately helped, but he'd still go after her sometimes. they never hurt each other, it seemed to be more about posturing than actual fighting. lots of chasing, swatting and hissing, but never any blood or biting.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Cats do not like change and have difficulty adapting. I have found this out with moving, houseguest that overstayed her welcome and caused some stress in the house and moving the cat boxes.  The houseguest and having to move their cat boxes is the first time Tigger went after Boo.  Boo is more laid back cat and Tigger more hyper.  When I downsized from a house to the apartment I have now, Tigger went crazy.  He cried and cried and when I picked him up, he put his paws around my neck and wouldn't let me put him down.  Boo hid in a corner for the entire night. Both cats had only known the house as home and did not like this at all.  But I think once they realized I wasn't going anywhere and I gave them lots of love and attention, they settled down and are fine now.  They are both healthy so I def attribute it to change in household if nothing else is wrong.  You are doing the right thing on watching the cat closely Ceila and correcting when she gets too close.  I hope everything settles down after a while for you as that is not fun to go through.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLupien. Show PLupien's posts

I'm having a similar problem with my two male cats. Logan is 8 and Remy is 3. And they got along great until Remy saw something outside. We don't know what it was, probably another cat in his yard, but when Logan came over to investigate, Remy attacked Logan viciously. I don't even think Remy was aware of what he was doing, almost like a petit mal.

Now Logan will have nothing to do with Remy. He's made our bedroom and the office his safe zone and rarely vetures out. Remy has tried playing submissive, but Logan won't have it and starts that low "Back off" growl. THis has been going on for over a month. They can be in the same room, and even on the same bed, which is a step forward. But Logan still won't leave the room without one of us carrying him. They both have been willing to play with "bird on a stick". Remy's acting lonely without his Pack mate, and keeps trying to enage Logan.

I've even tried those fake mom cat hormones, trying to help calm Logan down, but it doesn't seem to work. He's also aggressive towards me and my husband, more so than usual, since he was the sweetest most loving cat before this. I've got the scratches to prove it. Only once in a while will he let us pet him.

So what am I missing, and how can I bring peace to the house again?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm no expert, but cats have long memories and need time if traumatized, which is sounds like Logan was.  My daughter once brought a full grown cat into my house a neighbor convinced her to take and my cat Maggie went ballistic.  I had to grab the other cat and have my daughter return to the neighbor.  Let me tell you, I was pretty scratched up.  Not her fault, she was only 11 at the time and loves animals like me.  Well, after that Maggie hissed at me and her every time we passed her and would not come near either one of us.  It took weeks before she came around.  I would give it some more time and perhaps if you can, seperate them by a room and put a gate up so they can smell each other, but not attack.  I also highly recommend a spray bottle for Logan.  When he does his growl, spray him.  It tells him you find that unacceptable.  I had the same situation with the 2 male cats I have now.  A lot of changes in my house and all of a sudden one was attacking the other one.  I had to seperate them and found the water bottle helped.   I hope this helps as that is no fun. 

Sections
Shortcuts