Cat with litter box problems

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ck23. Show ck23's posts

Cat with litter box problems

I adopted my new female kitten in August, she is now about 7 months old.  At first she didn't have problems using the litter box but she slowly started defecating right outside of the box on the rug and now she does it all the time all over that rug.  She has recently been diagnosed with the feline Coronavirus and has a lot of GI issues.  She has never had accidents anywhere else in the house but just on the same rug near the box and she also has no problems urinating in the box.  I have tried everything...I thought it was maybe bc the box wasn't clean enough but now even when I clean it every day she still does it. I have tried at least 6 different types of litter. I thought maybe she didn't like sharing with box with our older cat so I put out 2 boxes and kept them clean but she still goes on the rug.  I am at a loss on what else to try. I plan to throw out the rug so there is just concrete basement floor and see if that helps...Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I am hoping I can correct this issue before she gets any older.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Re: Cat with litter box problems

throw out the rug, move the litter box and scrub the whole area down, then replace the litter box.  The rug smells like the potty so thats where she's going.  If she does use the floor again don't just remove the p00, wipe down the spot with a lysol or bleach handy wipe or similer.  You want the only thing that smells like the potty to be the potty area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluesandpiper. Show bluesandpiper's posts

Keep at least 2 litter boxes and make sure to scoop frequently. Cats hate dirty litter boxes. There are more tips here on how to solve litter box problems: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

You can try using Kitten Attract litter instead of regular litter, http://www.preciouscat.com/kitten-attract-p-10.html The litter contains a non-harmful attractant that trains kittens to use the litter box.

Clean the floor thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Most pet stores will have a couple brands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nature's Miracle works - it's expensive, but you get what you pay for.  Douse thoroughly and let dry. 

Bleach and lysol do not destroy the odor completely, and animals' noses are sensitive enough to notice the remaining scent.  NM is enzymatic so it "eats" every last bit of organic material (urine, p00, vomit, etc.).  But, the key is that it has to soak the item in question so that every bit of the offensive material is reached completely.  Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

It's sold at all pet stores.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ck23. Show ck23's posts

Thank you all for your responses. I did remove the rug and it seems to have worked for now. It appears she is using the litter box again and I clean it every day.  I will probably add the second litter box and plan to wash the floor with the Nature's Miracle suggested above as an extra precaution.  Thanks again!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GL!

I just used NM, by the way, on Christmas when my SIL's visiting male dog who decided to mark our house.  Nice.  Anyway, the NM made it like it never happened.  And, yesterday, our dog who had (apparently) eaten the string that our prime rib was tied up with just barfed it up in a ooey, gooey puddle.  Thank goodness for Nature's Miracle!

I mention it so you won't balk at the price tag - it's necessary to have if you have a pet.  They get sick if nothing else, and our dog seems to prefer to barf on the oriental rugs.  She actually runs directly for them while she's gagging.

Sections
Shortcuts