cheap dog food Question for Angellvets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets

If you have a "natural foods" or health foods (or similer) store near you, you may be able to find marshmallow root ground sold by the ounce or pound.  No idea what it would cost, or if it would even be worthwhile, but though I'd toss it out there.

And yes, doggy supplements are often painfully overpriced....Apollo gets a dose of Omega 3,6,9.  The first time we bought it we bought a canine version, after that we saved the bottle so we had the dosage information and bought the human version for less than 1/2 the price!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, they often are.  We give Gracie human Salmon Oil capsules from Trader Joe's for a lot less than the doggie ones.  She pops them in her mouth - gross.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ruth, I can't find any human 3-6-9s - what brand do you get?  All I can find is salmon oil.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

What about cod liver oil in small amounts (in excess can cause loose stools, diarrhea),  wouldn't that be more cost effective. 

If you're using quality dog food I don't understand why you think you need to add to it, why do you think you're paying more for the dog food? 

All that good stuff is in it already!     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

We get it from Sams Club actually, its their store brand.  Interestingly enough the capsule dosages are almost identical between the canine one we got and the Sams club one.

I have to admit that its not something I'd have probly thought of on my own.  Apollo's breeder highly recommends it, she's fed it to her dogs for years, and believes it helps their skin and coat and general health.  Her dogs (remember large breed here) regularly live past the age of 12, and she still has Apollo's great grand mother (who just turned 16yrs old this past January), and when we picked up Apollo from her we got to handle Rosie (along with Apollo's mom, and several of her other dogs), and I can say that she was in extreamely good health dispite her age, the only obvious sign of her age was some arthritus.

Cod liver oil doesn't have Omega 9 in it (if I recall right anyway).  Plus the capsule form is easier to manage (no measureing), if he's borderline to the next capsule dose then I round down rather than up anyway.

I did try a liquid form once, just to see if he'd eat it mixed with his food, and if it would be easier, he refused any food it had been mixed with, but he'll chew the capsules and eat them no problem, go figure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Kar, from teh Sams club website (check walmart too, I'm pretty sure thats where Apollo's breeder said she got hers, we got the members mark brand, don't recall seeing the other one on the store shelf by us):

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5500133&navAction=push

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=185228&navAction=push

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We add the oil because without the extra she gets very dry, flakey skin - pretty obvious on a jet black dog.  She's had it since she was a pup.

Thanks for the links, ruth, and the cod liver oil suggestion, dog-lady.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

I have started feeding my 2 dogs Nutro Max food it only took a few weeks but I have noticed a difference. I decided to try it when I adopted my 6yr old pug, he had stomach problems bad (he could clear out the whole neighborhood sometimes) and since he's been on this food no problems at all. It's refreshing. They have the softest shiniest coats too with the pug shedding less.  Less waste to pick up and they actually eat it as soon as I put it in their bowls instead of letting it sit around and using it as a last resort (they like to see if they are going to get any of my dinner first) It's not too expensive I bought a 30lb bag for $31.99 at Petco. and it has lastest us for 2 months so far and I probably have at least 2 weeks left. The price was a main reason I chose this brand because if I was going to put the pug on special food I had to also have the Boston on this food too because they like to switch bowls in the middle of a meal a lot of the time (even tho they are eating the same thing LOL) so I need a large amount for a price I could afford.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets:
    [QUOTE] The price was a main reason I chose this brand because if I was going to put the pug on special food I had to also have the Boston on this food too because they like to switch bowls in the middle of a meal a lot of the time (even tho they are eating the same thing LOL) so I need a large amount for a price I could afford.
    Posted by jharvey31[/QUOTE]

A trick I've discovered with one of my dogs that tends to finish her meal first and then look at me as if to say  "Is that all there is?"  
    I give her a fresh whole carrot (low calorie/high fiber), and that keeps her busy for another ten minutes and fills her up!  
    PS: Don't worry if you see undigested carrot chunks in their p00p...no big deal!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE] Cod liver oil doesn't have Omega 9 in it (if I recall right anyway). 
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

Omega-9’s
    Omega-9’s are the most abundant fatty acids of all in nature, and they are not in short supply in our diets. They are also not considered essential because our bodies can make omega-9’s from unsaturated fat in our bodies. Omega-9 fatty acids can be used by the body as a substitute for omega-3’s or 6’s if these essential fats are not present. However, omega-9’s really aren’t an ideal replacement for 3’s and 6’s, and the body will eventually suffer from this.

Omega-9’s are found in animal fats and vegetable oils, most notably olive oil. Interestingly, the oil made by our skin glands is the same omega-9 fatty acid found abundantly in olive oil: oleic acid. Olive oil also contains a saturated fatty acid known as palmitic acid, but no 6’s or 3’s. We have stacks of data on the wondrous disease-prevention powers of olive oil, but this research is pointing to its high polyphenol content rather than to its fatty acid content as the origin of its superb health benefits. Every day we’re hearing more about the strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticlotting and antibacterial effects of polyphenols in the body. (See our page on the Mediterranean diet for pointers on this delicious style of eating.)        

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Regarding supplements:    If you check their feces you'll notice that a lot of these capsules etc are right there in their original form, so the dog doesn't even get the the benefit half the time anyway!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, it's the same with human vitamins.  As you know my aunt is a chiropractor and nutritionist - she's very particular about what she recommends to her patients, and that's one of the big reasons.

I had the "opportunity" to find out what makes it through Gracie's system whole, though, after I suspected she'd eaten a piece of my jewelry.  I made a batch of p00 soup and strained it every time she went for 3 days.  SO GROSS, and totally for nothing.  Turns out she swallows pieces of sticks she chews on...very bad.  What can you do, though, she's a Lab, and we live in the woods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

They love to chew/eat sticks and tree branches, even the small breeds, I try to look the other way because they really seem to enjoy it and if I scream at them for every little thing I'll just make them more neurotic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hear ya!  I have to look the other way on the stick thing, too, because there's nothing I can do to stop it short of ruining her life with a muzzle...that'd be nuts even for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Not Apollo, he CHEWS the capsoles. Like they're bubblegum. I've never seen a dog chew like he does, he definetly breaks open the capsoles. Every now and then he'll spit out the empty capsole instead of swollowing it too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's funny - Gracie chews the tablets and bursts the fish oil capsules with her teeth (thank goodness with her mouth closed!), but if she needs a capsule (antibiotics), I have to coat it and my fingers in peanut butter so she swallows it while she's licking my fingers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets : A trick I've discovered with one of my dogs that tends to finish her meal first and then look at me as if to say  "Is that all there is?"   I give her a fresh whole carrot (low calorie/high fiber), and that keeps her busy for another ten minutes and fills her up!   PS: Don't worry if you see undigested carrot chunks in their p00p...no big deal!
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Thanks, they do like carrots and cucumbers too. I was shocked when I dropped a cucumber and they actually ate it. LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets : Thanks, they do like carrots and cucumbers too. I was shocked when I dropped a cucumber and they actually ate it. LOL
    Posted by jharvey31[/QUOTE]

Just be careful because it is high fiber (carrots) and too much could lead to loose stools but otherwise it's a good alternative to fattening snacks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cukes, really?  I never would have guessed!

Whenever I do a butternut squash or pumpkin, I save the guts for Gracie's Kong.  That and the baked pumpkin and squash skin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Kar, god forbid he needs a PILL cause then he won't take it voluntarily at all, thankfully he's easy to shove it down his throat. Never tried cukes, but Apollo will happlily chew on carrots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I found by accident that while Gracie won't take a pill that's covered with peanut butter because she eats all the peanut butter off and spits out the pill, if put the pill in her mouth with fingers that have a good amount of peanut butter on them, too, she goes to town licking my fingers and in the meantime involuntarily swallows the pill out of reflex.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I'll have to remember that.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Works like a charm every time!  I had to give her antibiotics morning and night for 2 weeks, and if I hadn't stumbled upon this (for not having wiped my messy fingers off) it would have been a real problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber loves cantalope. Found out the same way by dropping a piece.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

FYI regarding my dog with the tendency to make struvite stones,  he hates his prescription diet so I have to mix it with other stuff, just spoke to the vet...  NO CHICKEN LIVERS/HEARTS/GIZZARDS or any other Fatty Meats,  he can have boiled Chicken (bland) or VERY LEAN Hamburger with boiled white rice.  That's it, carrots are ok (for some reason he likes them), just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is going through this.   Oh, and no supplements. No peanut butter either.

Sections
Shortcuts