cheap dog food Question for Angellvets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets

The fat content in organ meats is primarily cholesterol.

Pancreatitis is inflammation and swelling of the pancreas. It can occur in a mild or severe form. The cause of spontaneous pancreatitis in dogs is not well understood. Dogs taking corticosteroids are at increased risk. There is a higher incidence of pancreatitis in dogs with Cushing’s syndrome, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, and idiopathic hyperlipemia (a disease of Miniature Schnauzers). These diseases are associated with high serum lipid levels. Pancreatitis is also more prevalent in overweight spayed females and dogs on high-fat diets. An attack may be triggered by eating table scraps or a fatty meal.        http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/665/2          http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/932/2          http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/667/2

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What do you think the 5.5 grams (vs 3 grams) of saturated fat in turkey is?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/663/2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're concerned about fat, compare the hearts v turkey.  Feed your dog whatever you want, though.

And, I knew you couldn't just say thanks for letting you know hearts aren't as bad as you thought and they are five times cheaper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I prefer lean meats vs organ meats for a multitude of reasons! 
    I guess we could just agree to disagree!  
    I never said I was trying to save money, I'm not cheap!
    My dogs eat better than most people!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, of course, but I'm confused about how the fat profile for chicken hearts v turkey doesn't change your mind about the hearts, at least.  Liver is another story imo.

No hard feelings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

It's a different kind of fat!  Hearts are an organ meat just like liver and gizzards. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/471374-organ-meats-high-cholesterol-foods/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree about the health concerns associated with hearts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Okay

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Hi All,

Great question and, as with many questions surrounding pet care, there is no right answer.

There is no perfect pet food on the market (just as there is no perfect toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash or other products we humans use). Each pet should be looked at as an individual. Some pets can do just fine on the lower priced grocery brands, while others may do better on more premium priced food. Higher price does not always equate with higher quality.  We all know that many companies have larger marketing costs, which drive their pricing.

One basic thing to look for on a label is whether a pet food has met the
    Association of American Feed Control Officials minimum standards for nutrient content. I would recommend looking at foods that have had feeding trials run by this independent organization. These trials make sure the foods are safe and contain the nutrient profile they claim on the bag.

These trials are expensive to run so very few of the “ boutique” pet food companies pursue this. But it's the best and most objective test we know of for ensuring a particular food contains the nutrients that the manufacturer claims it does.

The bottom line is that if a pet does well on a lower price diet, there is no need to change it.  Hope that helps.

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

A good source for home cooked/made meal recipes for cats and dogs is  www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com (the site is down right now as I post this, but it was up yesterday when I was verifying information, not sure why its down right now, hopefully its just a server issue).  Dr Strombeck lays out the nutrition requirements for healthy and sick animals and has a selection of recipes for not only ideal situations but also for various common health issues that are often controled via diet.  There is a book version of the site (the book is the originial version actually), but its out of print and last I checked used copies were going for $50 or more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTEdwards. Show JTEdwards's posts

We use heart, liver, and lean muscle meat in our food (in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables).  All three protein sources contribute valueable vitamins and minerals to a dog's diet.  The trick is getting everything into perfect balance.  There is such thing as too much of a good thing, especially with the liver, but in the right proportions organ meat really adds a lot of nutrients to the diet. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets:
    [QUOTE]A good source for home cooked/made meal recipes for cats and dogs is  www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com (the site is down right now as I post this, but it was up yesterday when I was verifying information, not sure why its down right now, hopefully its just a server issue). 
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

Sites back up

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cheap dog food Question for Angellvets : Sites back up
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, I've been using a lot of the foods they recommend anyway, but I'm especially interested in the UTI prevention diet   (I meant struvite calculi management diet, same idea).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The one time Gracie had a UTI it was caused by the Lawn Protect tabs from Petco.  The vet said it changed the pH so it didn't burn the lawn, but it allowed crystals to from in the urine which scraped the urethra, which gave bacteria a place to congrate and cause infection.

A diet that leads to a more acidic urine might help prevent any little crystals from forming and making micro scratches in the urinary tract.  I think that's why cranberry helps.  I've seen cranberry supplements marketed for dogs, but I don't know anything about it specifically when it comes to canines.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

My understanding (and I've not done a ton of research so take it with a grain of salt), is that cranberry only helps sometimes, depending on the cause of the UTI (crystals being one common cause).  Having said that cranberries aren't bad for dogs so if you're having cronic problems adding the supplement wouldn't likely make things worse.  We make our own fruit leather here, and husband adores cranberries....both dogs help him eat it, which I'm told is unusual, apparently the flavor doesn't usually appeal to dogs, but then I have an oddball pair!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Exactly, and the cranberries (supplements) are acidic,  meaning if the dog has an upset stomach it will only make matters worse. 

I'm not big on medications... but two things I won't ignore is the need for antibiotics to treat infection and prescription medication for pain.  

A lot of supplements are gobbledygook, overpriced and ineffective!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think they put meat flavor in with the cranberry dog supplements - YUCK!  LOL

Only Natural Pet Cranberry Powder is one that's marketed for cats and dogs, but I don't have any experience with it.  It's got a lot more than cranberry for active ingredients, I see.  

I don't suppose it would be indicated for a pet with stomach troubles on top of UTIs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

You don't know if they have an upset stomach until they vomit after taking it! 

Kind of like drinking orange juice when you have heartburn.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Can't speak for dogs specifically, but they have proven that cranberries (usually in juice form) are effective against UTIs in humans.  When I get home today I'll see if I can tract down the link if you want.  Which doesn't mean that you SHOULDN'T get an antibiotic, but if you're having chronic problems, and your vet says it won't hurt, adding cranberries might help.  Actually they're a common ingredient in alot of dog foods these days too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For a dog chronically prone to UTIs I'd see if the cranberry supplement was well tolerated.  One bad experience would be unfortunate, but you could send the rest back.  A good experience, though, would mean fewer UTIs and no side effects.

I drink pure cranberry juice, 4 oz a day morning and night, every day because I'm prone to UTIs, and I haven't had one since I started.  Maybe coincidence, but I don't think so; enough time has passed that I should have gotten one by now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I actually do use a supplement for my problem boy,  I get the human stuff (cranberry gel capsules) from the drugstore and calculate the dose according to weight,   but when I first tried it he did vomit, until he was on antibiotics for ten days for UTI nothing helped, now he seems to tolerate it...but I give him a very small amount.  
    PS: I also give him a little bit of saw palmetto as the old boys are prone to prostate trouble.  
    I am paying more attention to his diet because I think it helps to avoid certain foods. 
    Senior dogs are more vulnerable to these problems.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

All of which makes sense if I'm recalling the study right.  The final deterimation was that for a full blown UTI antibiotics are better, but in women who are prone to them (men rarely having them and so harder to study) women who drank X amount of cranberry juice on a regular basis had their incidence of actual UTI cut signifigantly, and urine tests show a drop in whatever "thing" they were watching.  Now I'll have to go dig out the link for my own benefit so I can remember specifics....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe the dog formula would be better tolerated than the cranberry capsules?  Marshmallow Root extract sooths the digestive tract.

These are the active ingredients
    Cranberry Extract 175 mg
    Marshmallow Root 30 mg
    Blueberry Extract 30 mg
    Vitamin C (Calcium Ascorbate) 25 mg
    Olive Leaf 25 mg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I find the dog products tend to be overpriced,  I prefer to use human products when I can...but you have to pay attention to the dosage and also some coatings are not broken down/digested as well by animals, so if the supplement is in capsule form for instance, I open it up and sprinkle it in his food.  
    Be careful with vit C, pure acid, excess can cause a false positive on a guiac test (humans and animals).

Sections
Shortcuts