Complex Partial Seizures? Question for Angell vet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Complex Partial Seizures? Question for Angell vet

My Peke (senior) has been doing this once in a while for as long as I can remember, in sitting position he does this rocking forward motion, head pointed upward in the air and tongue sticking in and out, air licking?

This goes on for about 3 minutes.

He did it right in front of the vet when he (the dog) was post-op, I asked the vet what is he doing and the vet said "I don't know."

He has had some very occasional mild seizure activity (tremulousness, confusion), too infrequent for meds plus he's not that uncomfortable when it happens.

He has other issues that require attention but for the most part is a happy comfortable dog  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Re: Complex Partial Seizures? Question for Angell vet

Hi Robin,

This to me seems like a focal seizure disorder that is often referred to as "fly biting" behavior.  It could be a form of epilepsy called idiopathic epilepsy - and whether or not to treat it depends on the frequency and the severity.  I would recommend that you bring your dog to a veterinary neurologist for a full neurologic evaluation (especially given the previous seizure/confusion).

Very happy to hear that he is for the most part a happy and comfortable dog.  And here's hoping that continues for years to come!

Dr. Joel Kaye

Angell Animal Medical Center