Crazy cat behavior

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lshcharlestown. Show lshcharlestown's posts

Crazy cat behavior

I have an adorable and sweet 3 1/2 year old, neutered orange male cat.  During the winter months he loves to just lounge by the wood stove and nap on the bed.  But now that Spring is here, he seems to be seeking out as much mischief as possible.  While at times it is hysterical (chasing his little toy mice and running up and down the stairs), there are other times where he seems so wound up he gets aggressive with me - mistaking my leg for a giant scratching post or some sort of animal he would like to hunt. 
    Is this sort of behavior seasonal?  Sort of like college kids on Spring Break?  Just a little case of "Kitty Gone Wild"?  Is there anything I can do to help him calm down? Or keep him entertained while we're not home?
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Crazy cat behavior

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jt2499. Show jt2499's posts

I this new behavior just this year or does this occur whenever the weather turns?  If this is brand new behavior and is accompanied by any appetite changes, do consider calling your vet just in case.  Sometime aggressiveness can be a sign of sickness although it doesn't sound like it in this case.

With my 2 cats, I definitely see similar behavior but without being aggressive with me when the weather gets warmer.  The best thing to do is give him constructive ways to let out his energy.  If you haven't gotten new toys in a while, invest in some new ones.  Also, invest in some toys that you can play with him such as 'Da Bird' which is available in most stores and online or any type of toy on a wand.  My 2 cats crave this type of attention and 15 minutes a day of this play may be all you need to work out his energy and stop the attacks.

If he does attack, stop.  Don't pull your leg away or move.  Say 'no' firmly, not yelling.  You may be inadvertently encouraging him by the attention you give him when he does this.  If this doesn't work, a spray bottle with one squirt of mist can work.  It won't hurt him.  Shaking a can with coins in can work as well although I found it to be ineffective.  Another option is compressed air which you can buy at most office supply stores.  Hold the can up high and do not aim it at your cat!  It is the sound that works.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Hi LS,

It's likely that with the improving weather there are more creatures outside/around your house - especially cats, both feral and owned pets.  And these animals may agitate your cat because he's likely doing his best to "defend his territory" but he can't reach them - so he's likely displacing his anger onto you.

Our pet owners have had good luck with pheromone spray such as Felloway - and I highly recommend you get some and spray it on the window sills and around the rooms that have offer maximum views to the outside. 

Keep in mind also that many cats can be trained to walk outside on a leash.  You may try to go that route as well to give your cat some highly supervised and control outdoor time.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Sections
Shortcuts