Dog/Cat Monthly Flea Treatment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Dog/Cat Monthly Flea Treatment

A friend of mine recently lost her cat.  She has a 4 month supply of monthly flea treatment (Advantage) that she has offered me.  I have a small (8 lb) dog.  Is there any difference in the medication for dogs and cats?  Since my dog is a similar size to her cat can I use the cat formula for my dog?  If not, I will donate it to a shelter but if it's the same medication I would like to use it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dog/Cat Monthly Flea Treatment

Robin is right - it MUST say on the package.  The dog version of Advantix says, "NOT FOR USE WITH CATS!"  I think it might be fatal for cats to use the dog version, but since I don't have a cat I've never looked at the cat version for similar dog warnings.

ETA:  I just did a quick online scan and read that some, like Advantage, are formulated for both.  Call your vet or look up the medication facts online at the manufacter's website to be sure, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's the medication info from PetMeds.com:

Advantage Flea Control

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Joel Kaye of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    Your question is incredibly important and one that we are often asked. Flea and tick products are not interchangeable. Misuse of these products has led to many pet owners visiting an emergency veterinary clinic and in some cases the death of a pet.

It is dangerous to your pet’s health to use any treatments not specifically designed for their species and size. These products are intended to be used between species or portioned out depending on body weight. The concentration and volume of Advantage for felines is higher than the canine product. An 8-pound dog does not require the same dose as an 8 pound feline.

It is also important to note that some canine flea and tick products contain chemicals that are safe for dogs and potentially fatal to cats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Thank you for the information.  I will donate the med's to my local shelter and continue the canine treatment for my little dog  :)

Sections
Shortcuts