Dog Flu Shots are they necessary?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Dog Flu Shots are they necessary?

http://www.petside.com/article/dog-flu-shot-what-you-should-know

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

Re: Dog Flu Shots are they necessary?

My pug got one before I adopted him at the shelter, but my Boston terrorist doesn't have one, but now that I just read the article I think I may get her one too. Thanks for the info dog-lady.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

You're welcome.   I won't get the thing myself!
       But if you take your dog to dog parks,  day care, kennels   it might be a good idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I won't get a flu shot for myself, and I'll admit that my pup hasn't had one either.  On the other  hand we don't take him to dog parks (we go to the park, but not "dog parks" so I have more control over the dogs he contacts), or day care, and any over night care is taken care of by family not a kennel.  Pup is also in very good health with no history of issues.  All of which makes a difference.

In some areas doggy day cares and kennels are adding the canine flu shot to their list of required shots you have to provide proof of (several in my area have recently made that change) so its worth looking into if any of that applies to you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

In Response to Re: Dog Flu Shots are they necessary?:
    You're welcome.   I won't get the thing myself!   But if you take your dog to dog parks,  day care, kennels   it might be a good idea.
    Posted by dog-lady

I have to get a flu shot :( I am high risk because of diabetes. Now I guess it will be a household ritual every year all 3 of us will get flu shots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhalpin32. Show rhalpin32's posts

Hi Dog-Lady,

At this time we do not recommend the flu vaccine. There have only been a small number of cases in our area. The vaccine does not prevent disease only lessen its intensity. More importantly it does not prevent shedding of the organism so pets remain contagious.

Best to you,

Joel Kaye, DVM, Angell Animal Medical Center

Sections
Shortcuts