Dog hates to be left alone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvh3. Show mvh3's posts

Dog hates to be left alone

Whenever we leave our almost 1 year old bernese/mix alone she cries. She has just started breaking out of her crate. She has never really liked her crate, but now she won't even stay in it which is fine but I am worried that she cries and cries when we are gone.  She seems to get anxious if we are preparing to leave and then we have to bring her to the play-room and inevitable she darts back up the stairs.  It breaks my heart to think of her whining for the several hours that we have to leave her.  She does not do any damage, such as chewing the door and I do not know what she does when we are gone.  Is it me or her that has the seperation anxiety!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dog hates to be left alone

Our dogs take their cues from us.  You asked your rhetorical question at the end, but that sums it up.  You have separation anxiety and are transferring it to the dog. 

How are you regarding leaving and coming home?   Do you leave with tons of hugs and pets and treats and high anxiety about leaving and then put him in the crate?  When you get home do you go nutty with greeting the dog?

Ignore the dog when you leave.   Just go about your business getting your things together, put him in his crate (I recommend getting a new, wire one), and go.  It can help if you are totally distracted, like if you are on your cell phone. 

Ignore the dog when you get home.  Let him out, take him out to do his business and let him settle down before you give him any attention.

You are being loving from a human perspective but inadvertantly causing high anxiety in your dog.  If you act consistently from now on that coming and going are not a big deal, he'll calm down, too...but not if you don't.

P.S. I know it's very hard to do this.  But, rest assurred it's what I do with our lab, and it still makes me choke up when I leave without even looking her way.  But, she is not anxious so I can do what I know I have to do.  We might LOVE them like children, but they are NOT HUMAN and do not have the same "hello" and "good bye" emotional needs as kids do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

When you are home, put the dog in the crate for a few minutes at a time.  You may need to put a leash on her and let it hang outside the crate.  Ignore her while she is in the crate.  If she whines, say "quiet".  If she continues to whine, say "quiet, quiet, quiet" as you approach the crate and smack it.  If she still makes noise, say "quiet, quiet, quiet" as you give the leash a sharp tug.

As she progresses, give her treats when she is in her crate and lying down in a calm state.

Next, go outside with the dog in the crate.  If she whines, the go back in the house and correct her.  If she doesn't whine, then give her a treat.  You may also want to toss a nice bully stick or raw bone in her crate to distract her.

It will take a while but she will get it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I must vehemently disagree with tossing a bully stick or raw hide in the crate and leaving.  They are choking hazards that dogs should have only under supervision.  If you give them something like that in the crate, be sure you don't leave them completely unattended.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In Response to Re: Dog hates to be left alone:
    [QUOTE]I must vehemently disagree with tossing a bully stick or raw hide in the crate and leaving.  They are choking hazards that dogs should have only under supervision.  If you give them something like that in the crate, be sure you don't leave them completely unattended.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Agreed, altough my dog is now allowed to have his nylabone in the crate with him after months and months of supervising him with it.  Kongs filled with peanut butter or frozen canned food make great crate treats.  My guy gets 1/2 his breakfast kibble in the crate in a kong mixed with peanut butter when I leave for work. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those items are very unlikely to become choking hazards, and I also leave the kong with peanut putter and even a marrow bone in her crate.  Rawhide or bully stick, on the other hand, truly is a hazard.